“Poor with high prices and "difficult" staff.”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Have stayed in better 3 star hotels in the locality of this hotel and paid much less for much better service and facilities. Overall we found staff to be rude at times and overall difficult with a severe lack of customer service skills. VERY strange payment method on arrival, which nobody bothers to tell you about, after calling TWICE to ask about deposits etc, prior to arrival. Restaurant food was good, but useless for a long stay as it doesn't change. Room facilities were good, but not equal to the hotel's current 4* rating. In my opinion, 3* would be more appropriate and it would be good if staff received better training on customer relations (management too!!)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
helly200, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am sorry if you felt the customer service was poor and this is an area we are working on constantly.

At no point do we ask for a deposit for a private stay, purely an authorisation of your card as with the majority of hotels.

You are correct in saying the main menu does not change but we offer a variety of specials to run alongside this.

We have worked very hard to achieve 4* status which was awarded by the AA

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel for 4 nights while taking a course at the hotel for my work. While I live relatively close by, I chose to stay onsite so that I could study in a relaxed environment and be free of distractions. I enjoyed the food from the restaurant and bar. However, I felt the accommodation was terrible. The first night I was woken at 2 in the morning by a loud generator sound. I was moved during the night to a room half the size where the main light flickered, the curtains wouldn't close properly and the wind rattled the windows. When I spoke with reception in the morning I was moved to the so-called Honeymoon suite. This room was nice to look at on the surface. It had a whirlepool bath, king size bed and nice shower cubicle. I soon discovered the whirlpool bath was accompanied by a sign saying that "the bath can not be used as a whirlpool bath", the shower had less pressure than rain, there were pigeons sitting on the window sill and traffic noise. I mentioned the water pressure to the duty manager who said that whilst he would not like the shower himself that this was one of the better rooms. He suggested having a bath. The following morning the shower pressure had reduced to nothing. In short, I would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for your feedback, I can only apologise that your room was not adequate to your needs, I can not explain the generator sound as we don't have one.

With regard to water pressure and the other comments you have made I can tell you that we are investing in some of the rooms in order to avoid any future discomfort.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Stayed here on work and had a pleasant stay. Comfortable room and friendly staff which is always a good plus. The bar was nice, wasn't sure about the location of the pool but its good to have the option of one!! Only negative was the size of the lift . . bit on the small size.

Didn't eat in restaurant in the evening (went to the Goat & Tricycle around the corner) but breakfast was buffet style with the full range available.

Nice touch with the toy dogs in the room to use as your 'Do not disturb' notice !! lol

Would stay again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Yes the lift is compact but it does the job.

I hope we will see you again

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Just returned from a 2 day break at the Hallmark
The room was lovely,freeview tv,robes and slippers,toiletries,coffee,tea and biscuits.
we stayed in an executive room...very clean and nice decor...
Staff were pleasent and helpful...
Spa was very good..not as bad as people have been saying...we found it to be very nice indeed...
Cant really comment on the food as we ate out but from what i saw other guests eating it looked very nice...
all in all would recommend this hotel to anyone...

Room Tip: Executive rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your comments, I hope we see you again soon

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years and on occasions there have been minor complaints, - as in all hotels. During a previous visit this year I thought the spa needed a good clean. However on our visit this weekend it was noticably cleaner, and I think has enough facilities to make this a very enjoyable experience.
I think the rooms are beautifully decorated, certainly in comparison to other hotels in Bournemouth, the public area's (bar, lounge, dining room) are a pleasure to relax in, and the resturant staff were extremely helpful and polite. My only complaint on this occasion was on our initial check-in after a long journey that the receptionist was unfriendly and unhelpful (I just think that customer service training would sort that out). However a more senior receptionist was much more helpful. I rate this hotel very good because I think that it is a pleasant place to stay and standards are maintained.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank pam b

Thank you for your comments, I have taken your advice and increased our customer care training there is no excuse for any of the team to be unfriendly or rude.

I hope you will stay with us again

Reviewed October 11, 2011

We decided to choose Bournemouth for a weekend away, the weather forecast was good, so we choose ourselves a nice, well situated hotel. After searching, the Hallmark came up trumps!

We arrived early, as wanted to make the most of it, and the staff were great, allowing us to park in the carpark before we'd actually checked in! Great start!

We came back around 5 to check in, smooth and efficient.

We got to the room......ugh! Problems started!

The room was fine, little small, clean and tidy though....just needed a lick of paint and some tlc. However, we went to go back out and noticed the room door didn't shut properly, nevermind lock!

We immediately called reception and they sent the handyman up......he bashed away etc and "made it good" apparently, but we wasn't happy with it!

I asked for another room, which they were reluctant to give, as they said the door was fine! It had multiple large cracks in it and wouldn't have taken much to be kicked in! Not my idea of safe and secure!

Eventually they gave us another room.

Apart from the situation above, the stay was pleasant. Comfortable room, clean and tidy with complimentary toiletries.

The location was 5 min walk to the beach, 10 mins to ths shops, so ideal.

The pool/spa onsite was good too, little small, but enough for what you needed.

The only major flaw with it is it's condition. It's an old hotel and it shows it. It needs a facelift from top to bottom. A lick of paint and some new carpets would dot it wonders!

Overall, good for a short break in comfortable surroundings

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAPB28
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I went to this hotel as part of a virgin experience and we had a weekend stay including a 3 course meal each evening. The hotel was nice and the spa was ok. The waitress that served us each evening was very attentive and the food was lovely. The rooms were clean and well equiped. The spa could do with a real clean. the floor had bits and it just felt dirty. All in all it was a nice relaxing time with a friend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends