“Easy access to Bournemouth twon centre”

BEST WESTERN Hotel Royale
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Slough, United Kingdom
“Easy access to Bournemouth twon centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

I have read some of the other reviews and I think thye may give a very por impression of the hotel which really isn't too bad. Yes, we couldn't get into our rooms 'till 3 p.m. and yes, you have to go out a back door into a car park in order to get tot he pool and gym area (which consists of a few items of equipment pool side), and yes, our room was on the cool side (half term in 2008 was bloody freezing!), but the room we had was very spacious with a good sized bathroom. Water pressure could have been better, but it was sufficient for a shower. The floorboards were on the creaky side, but we couldn't hear other guests through the walls. My wife and I enjoyed the breakfasts immensely. The sausages wern't up to much but mostly everything else was more than edible. The hotel offers free internet access on a PC in the foyer area. The beds were comfortable and king sized. The hotel is perfectly situated in a quiet wooded avenue just one street back from the East Cliff road. A 2 minute walk and you are within site of the sea. A 5 minute walk in the other direction takes you to a road full of cheap pubs and restaurants (I particularly recommend O'Neill's Irish pub, where you can eat for £3!). Bournemouth twon centre can't be anymore than 15 minutes slow walk away.
Overall, I was very happy witht he hotel and intend to use it again early in 2009. I think it is very good value for money and not something that one could complain about at £60 per night

• Liked — Breakfasts and location
  • Disliked — Boring lounge/bar area
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PathManSlough

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Ayrshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Good marks
- very convenient for town and beach (easy walking distance), with its own off-street car park, on a quiet road.
- the staff (all foreign, except the management men in suits) were super: attentive, meticulous, charming, polite, helpful.
- smart new bathroom fittings.
- public areas are decorated in a relaxing boutique hotel style.
- sauna in health & leisure building is effective, and there are a few items of gym equipment by the pool. It's open until 9 pm on weekdays, only 7 pm at weekends.
- breakfast had good pastries and some fruit, which not every hotel has, with Lee & Perrins for the tomato juice.

Bad marks
- I booked this many months ago after a lot of deliberation given the number of hotels in Bournemouth, and had hoped for a nice room like the web site photographs. However, we were very disappointed indeed. The double room was so small that we had to have a one-way system to get past the bed and also to get to the bathroom sink or use the loo. I've been in bigger single rooms. Decor was neutral, quite drab.
- No armchair, only one desk chair to sit on for TV watching: other person has to sit on the bed, uncomfortably.
- No task lighting - it wouldn't suit me if I was on business and needing to read something sitting at the chest of drawers.
- Poor sound proofing (and in a big hotel that was nearly empty, as it was on Thursday, why occupy two adjacent rooms?) We could hear the conversation next door - words, not just tone - so they could hear us. Killed the love life on both sides of the wall.
- Bedroom was freezing cold but the thermostat and on/off control knobs have been taken off all the radiators in the hotel corridors and rooms, and they need a tool to change the settings. So we got a heater (it stopped working) and put on two blankets. When we asked next day, the radiator was seen to i.e. increased to tepid so we still needed the blankets. Another guest had to open a window as they were far too hot - despite the windows being single glazed, metal framed, with some cracked panes.
- Poor water pressure - the 'power shower' was not, the bath took an age to fill: no 'quick dip' here.
- If you like nice soap and shampoo, bring your own as these are basic and the shampoo gives you brillo hair.
- Too many (unnecessary, claustrophobic) net curtains. I opened them to let in the sun and to see out, but they hid the fact that the metal bedroom window frames were black with mildew and the paint (and one window pan) was cracked; and the outside of the uPVC bathroom window can't be cleaned from the inside so it was filthy.
- no curtain or blind at the bathroom: not for privacy as I'm sure no-one could see in three floors up, but the room was cold and unpleasant when it got wintry and dark outside. A small electric towel rail for heat; it barely managed to dry my swimsuit.
- Leisure building - I'd chosen the hotel based on it having a pool but we were very disappointed. You exit via a rear fire door that locks behind you, and walk across the car park; to return, you walk round to the hotel front door with your wet hair. The pool is too cold to swim in unless you're able to go fast enough to warm up; the jacuzzi is domestic with few bubble jets; there's no steam room (sauna is effective - essential for warming up). The changing rooms are tatty; the toilet door is warped with the damp and won't close; the shower gel is like dish-washing liquid. We went there one night, not the three that we'd have done if it had been a pleasant experience.
- breakfast was ok, no better. Ingredients were not up to an 'eat local' standard: if my husband doesn't eat the sausages, they must be poor. Lousy weak tasteless coffee. Strangely unseasoned scrambled eggs, fried eggs sitting too long and gone gooey. No cheese for vegetarians needing protein. Busy on Sunday, not enough staff, there were queues for checking in and tables were not cleared. Don't have a Sunday lie-in - doors close promptly at 10.00.
- very disappointing dinner, due to cheap ingredients? or unimaginative chef? or both? Pate semi-frozen, battered frozen fish (not freshly battered). The laminate menu didn't change over the 3 days we were there; no specials: we only dined here once. There are plenty of restaurants 5 minutes walk away on Christchurch Street. (Don't go to Harry Ramsden's by Bournemouth beach - our lunchtime 'large' cod was undersized, overcooked, and overpriced.) Or visit pretty Christchurch and stay on for something much more special.

• Liked — convenient for town centre
  • Disliked — bedroom and food - down to a price, not up to a standard.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank FMW
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

We arrived at the hotel on 29.09.2008 at 12.00 and couldn't gain access to our room until 3.00pm which was a pain but apparently the norm. The room was very clean and looked like it have been newly painted, the beds however did have springs pertruding through them in some areas? The restaurant staff were very attentive at breakfast and during the evening service, one particular waitress named Rae, seemed to be there at both sittings and worked extremly hard and was very pleasant and efficient ,however I felt her hard work was unappreciated by her peers.The bar area although very pleasant and clean had no atmosphere at all and the staff did not engage in any conversation with the customers. The pool area needed a bit of an update and the jacuzzi was out of operation for 2 days which was news to the receptionist when I queried it? The changing facilities needed cleaning which we never saw happen during our twice daily visits? There was a rather bizaar man who appeared to be loitering in the pool showers and around the sauna every afternoon who actually made us feel quite uncomfortable and want to leave when he was there, to my surprise/horror I later saw him go into a staff area in the hotel so he was obviously an employee! I think the pool needs some sort of covered walk way to it as it was quite cold to try and make a dash back to the hotel after swimming. I also overheard a young girl (on her honeymoon) with a baby complain as she did not have the correct room and ask the unhelpful evening receptionist to call her another hotel to which she refused until the morning? The lady was clearly distressed but her complaint was falling on deaf ears and the receptionist was unwiling to assist her in any way.
Although the above does not sound very good, on the whole we did enjoy our stay at the hotel and would use the hotel again. I hope the hotel management read these reviews and perhaps give the small minority of staff some much needed customer service training for the future.

• Liked — clean room and majority of staff attentive also very quiet location yet close to beach and other amenieties
  • Disliked — not very good beds, pool area seemed last priority of hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hoochiecooch
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

Really friendly hotel, genuinely helpful staff and a clean environment. We stayed a couple of nights on a midweek deal and this hotel exceeded our expectations. Our room was great, recently decorated and with new bathroom, good tv reception,kingsize bed, free broadband, everything miles better than I had expected for the price range. The on-site leisure club with swimming pool, sauna , whirlpool and some basic gym equipment is a great bonus. It's peaceful, simple and friendly, but supplies everything you need- we spent ages in there. The hotel is in a peaceful road, just a few minutes walk from the Eastcliff lift and path.
The buffet breakfast was generous,offering more than you could possibly eat. At first glance the evening restaurant menu seemed a little predictable, but everything we ordered was super-tasty and portions were more than satisfying- we ate there both nights.
In short, everything about the Anglo Swiss is what you would hope for, there are no tricks or shortcuts, it's a great hotel where the staff genuinely want customers us to enjoy their stay. I have stayed in loads of mid range hotels in Bournemouth over the years and this is the one where I felt most at home and 100% satisfied. I definitely recommend the Anglo Swiss!

• Liked — genuine aim to please
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cassettepet
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

I have just spent a couple of nights at the Anglo Swiss Hotel and was happy overall with the standard of accommodation. I was happy, as a single traveller, that accommodation is charged on a room rate and there were no hidden supplements. I therefore booked a double room (as it was not much more expensive than a single one).

Maybe they thought I was a hotel inspector as I was pleasantly surprised to have a very large, bright, recently refurbished room with a decent sized, well fitted bathroom with a window. My only comments are that the bed was not particularly comfortable and the foam pillows were very hard. The laminate flooring in the bathroom looked a little cheap which was a shame and a blind would have been better than a net curtain at the window. The room was clean (apart from a cobweb on the bathroom ceiling) but these are only minor niggles.

The staff at reception and in the restaurant were efficient and pleasant and the food was a good standard. The hotel is well placed for the beach but is about a 15 minute walk into the centre of Bournemouth.

I would stay at this hotel again if I were to visit Bournemouth as I thought it good value for money.

• Liked — Nice large, bright room
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank HoneyBeeLondon
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

I stayed at the hotel from 27 to 30 August 2008. I had special requirements due to a very bad back and the staff were really helpful in arranging for a bed board to be placed under the mattress. It's often difficult it is to find hotels with a bed board. I had a large chalet with a brilliant shower (good for my bad back). The chalets are separate from the hotel and there was no noise apart from cars parking and leaving. The dinner, bed and breakfast rate of £87.50 was good value. The food was good, and the service and helpfulness of the staff throughout the hotel was excellent. A computer with free internet access was available in reception which was useful, but the wi-fi and broadband connections need attention as they kept dropping out to the frustration of other guests. My only real criticism is that the tv remote control was not working when I arrived and it took over a day and a half to get a new one. Also the sink water took ages to drain away and the cold water tap only ran cold for a few seconds before becoming tepid. I do wish hotel staff would check room facilities before guests arrive.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank catlover20
aldershott
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

The weather was aweful but the staff made the stay most enjoyable. The food was good with breakfast a highlight and the staff all over the hotel - most foreign - but so cheerful and helpful. Thanks to all and highly recommend.

• Liked — size of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family