“A lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at the Connaught for 3 nights from 29th July. I received a warm welcome from the receptionist, and although my room was not ready, she arranged for my bags to be stored until later. It is sometimes daunting as a woman travelling alone, but all the staff were friendly and professional. I had an ongoing problem with my room keycard, but it was dealt with without any fuss. I only ate in Blake's restaurant on one night, but the service and food were excellent, and the Maitre D' was very attentive and helpful. Breakfasts were very good, with a lot of choice. The pool was lovely and kept very clean. All in all, a great short break.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David1007, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
A lovely review Pat, thank you very much.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. The hotel is central to town with lots of parking. The reception area looks modern and very nice indeed. Check in was speedy and my boyfriend had been given 2 free drinks in the bar because of his birthday. Nice touch!

The room was OK, I wouldn't say it was anything special. I think it was room 54. I had booked a superior room as I wanted a balcony which we had, but there wasn't much space on it and you're very close to the other rooms with balconys. It would almost be awkward if you sat out there as you would be able to hear everyone elses conversations. The bathroom door really needs to be changed. It's just a sliding wooden door which looks really old and as if it's falling apart. The bathroom was large but I think it was meant for disabled guests...it didn't have a nice feel to it, blue plastic floor and just plain white walls. It resembled the sort of shower room they used to have at school.

Breakfast was really great, nice full english and pastries, cereal, toast etc. Lovely staff too.

We enjoyed our stay despite the rain but I wasn't overwhelmed by the hotel, hopefully once they manage to redecorate all of the rooms it will have a nicer feel to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David1007, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Supinda

Many thanks for your review and delighted you enjoyed your stay but disappointed you did not like your room. 54, along with all the other rooms on that floor, has just been refurbished and the walk-in shower room is sparkling, brand new and fully tiled. As you remarked it is a disable friendly room hence the very non-slip flooring and sliding door - I'm sorry you din't like it. As a town house hotel the rooms and their balconies are next door to each other and being in the centre of town it's hard to avoid that issue anywhere. Maybe we'll see you again in another room - try the executive room, 9 which has its own, very private balcony overlooking the garden and quite spacious.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed just the one night on a business trip having selected the hotel based on location and the Trip Advisor reviews. Couldn't believe the size of the room I was given.. A broom cupboard with a bed in is the best description. For one night, this was acceptable but any longer this would have been a problem. Decided to take a nap after a long drive only to be awoken by a phone call .. I was asked if I was happy with my room.. I did state that the broom cupboard was ok.. Later that evening I had another phone call.. I was once again asked if the room was ok.. This was now becoming tedious... Despite its size, the room was clean, comfy and reasonably equipped.. It might be useful to include a "guest services" brochure as I had no idea when the restaurant opened or the pool closed etc...Overall, the hotel is a little tired but it seems renovations are happening. There are two ca parks.. One is almost impossible to get in and out of.

Room Tip: Avoid room 60 if you are a travelling alone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David1007, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Many thanks for the review Trevor. We have been in touch and look forward to seeing you again soon. The guest services are fully listed in the books on your dressing table.

Radlett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived on Friday 2nd Aug and from the moment we walked through the door we were very impressed. A very welcoming smile & greeting from receptionist and everything clearly explained to do with the hotel and how to get to the beach ( only a 2 min walk) and how to get to town ( 5 min walk).
We went to our hotel room (46) and again were impressed, very clean room and lovely bathroom. With the weather being so warm it was nice to have a balcony to sit out on. We got unpacked and headed down for a drink at the bar. All the staff we encountered during our stay were very polite, professional and nothing was too much trouble.

On our first night we ate in the Blake restaurant ( my birthday treat) and again very impressed, the food was the best we have ever had. The rest of our stay we ate in the bar area as the bar menu was also very tempting. I can certainly recommend their sandwiches, mussels, and Aberdeen Angus steak. I would have had more meals but we ran out of days.
Breakfast was also very good and plenty of choices.

This for us was a fantastic place to visit & stay, I had not been to Bournemouth since I was 7 yrs old and I was very glad to return, although I had forgotten how many hills there was lol. Although getting down to the beach was easy as there is a lift which is only £1.20 to go down and the same to come back up, so that made life a lot easier.

The beach was very clean as was the seafront in general. The tour bus was a good way to travel to other parts of Bournemouth, you just hop on and off as you want to.

Would we come back to this hotel? Too right we would and next time I would want to stay for longer than 3 nights and will also bring our swimming stuff as we forgot ours on this trip.

We are already planning where we want to go and spend Christmas, be hard to find somewhere as great as this hotel but we will look.

To all the staff at The Connaught Hotel - Thank you very much for making our holiday a fantastic experience and keep doing what you do as it works. This is how a hotel should be run.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your charming and delightful review Joanna. As far as Christmas is concerned we have a wonderful programme covering a 3 or 4 day stay - the reviews are excellent and you would not be disappointed. Full details are available on the hotel's own website. If I can be of further assistance please let me have your email address and I will send you all the links.

Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the Connaught for 1 week. As usual the hotel could not be faulted, the rooms were comfy and spotless, the staff friendly and helpful. However, we were booked in for evening meal in Blake’s restaurant every evening; the menu did not change. The food was lovely, but the choice was not there. Yes we were offered the brassiere menu, but this is basically a bar menu not an a la carte menu. I would recommend this hotel for bed and breakfast (the breakfasts were lovely), and that you should check the menu to see if there is anything there you want, but if you are staying more than two days I WOULD NOT pre-book an evening meal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David1007, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Many thanks Gromit for your "excellent" review. Blakes is about enjoying a fine dining experience and due to the complexity of the food we are unable to change this type of menu on a daily basis - we do however rotate items. For general daily dining we now have the Connaught Brasserie which has a far more varied menu and guests may also choose from the a la carte menu when dining in the brasserie.

Best wishes and thank you again.

Chertsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We decided we wanted to take the family for a short break as the schools finished. We plumped to go to Bournemouth, just far enough away to feel we were escaping! As the trip was going to be an easing into the holidays we wanted a good hotel with decent facilities, never easy with a family of five. However we found a real gem in the Connaught. The staff were superb (especially Guiseppe in the bar!), the breakfast excellent and the bar food absolutely five star. We hired the Rose Suite (very grand name) as we had to be able to squeeze us all in. The room was nice enough and after all these years we realise the bathroom will always be a bit of a competition, but so is life. The only slightly off comment, and this applies to most UK hotels by the sea is when you have a few in a room it becomes a bit hot to sleep, aircon is not common place but when you have a heatwave you wish it was!

The indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna were very clean and great fun. I enjoyed the weights room and as we had already trained we skipped the CV room which looked well equiped.

Finally, the one thing out of our control, the weather was superb, the heatwave descending just at the right time. We even had some friends join us, the hotel managing to find accommodation for them. So if you want all the facilities, food and a friendly environment we cannot recommend highly enough. Naturally not the cheapest hotel but we feel really good value for money and will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Not far from the sea, but no sea views. As a large family we had little option, but otheriwse there...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David1007, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
What a lovely 5 Star review LeedsUtd - thank you very much. The weather was really lovely for you and the children and, by the sounds of it, you had a great time. Hope to see you all again next year.

With best wishes

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently spent a weekend in Bournemouth with my girlfriend and we stayed 2 nights in the Connaught Hotel. I used to study in the town and was aware of the huge selection of hotels but had never stayed in one. After staying at the Connaught I'm not sure I need to look at any others when I stay in Bournemouth again.

The location of the hotel is excellent. It's quiet, yet less than 5 minute walk to the beach. It's a short walk (5 minutes) to some cool bars/clubs (60 Million PostCards - a good spot when I was a student, and still a good spot at the weekends). And for anyone going to events or gigs, the BIC is also roughly about 5 minute walk away.

The staff were very welcoming. My girlfriend and I arrived a bit late on the first evening and went straight for the restaurant. We sat outside which was really chilled, comfortable and we could enjoy our conversation. Throughout our stay the staff were attentive and arranged taxis etc quickly whenever we requested anything. The food in Blake's restaurant was great, I had the Hake (I guess I had to eat fish being so close to the sea).

We used the pool, steam room and jacuzzi - all great quality and very relaxing.

The room was very spacious, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was top drawer.

Great weekend, and I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the front of the hotel. Very nice room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Welcome home David - hope Bournemouth was still as good as when you were a student. Many thanks for your "Brilliant" 5 star review and we hope to see you again soon.