“Fantastic spa day!”

Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Fantastic spa day!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my mum today to treat her to a spa day. It was perfect from start to finish. All the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The 2 course lunch and champagne was fabulous! Swimming and jacuzzi was just lovely. We both had an hour long massage which was so relaxing it was wonderful. We then popped out to the beach (just a five minute walk away) and came back for a beautiful dinner. Would highly recommend! This is the second time I have visited and I would come back again and again! Thank you :)

• Stayed July 2013
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
All in all it sounded like a great stay Harkiss and we were particularly pleased that you enjoyed the spa spoecial so much. Hopefully we'll have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia well in advance as i had booked tickets to see Mickey Flanagan as a christmas present for my partner. From the website it reads to me that superior rooms have a balcony so i booked that, my receipt said i would have a king sized bed. However, having arrived at the hotel and checked in we went to our room (no 36) my partner had to more less kick the door down as it was very stiff and the handle was practically fallen off! Not very superiour to me. The room was small, the bed definatly was not kingsize and there was nothing special about the room. I went to speak to reception and was told not all superior rooms come with a balcony and that my room was definatly a superiour kingsize room. To be honest this put a downer on my night as i paid for something i didn't receive.

When i got home i contacted the hotel manager Paul, and made a complaint. He told me he was very sorry that the room was not what i expected and he offered me a free nights stay. I've been trying to set a date when i could come down. The next thing i know i received an email from Faye who had taken over my complaint from Paul and she had spoken to the Managing Director and they no longer want to give me a free nights stay!! Instead i will have to pay out of my own money for a room and they will give me a free upgrade next time i book!! And as for my complaint they are no longer using room 36 as a superiour room! Well just shows im right if they have to change it!!

I am very dissapointed as to how my complaint was handled and im still out of pocket having paid for a kingsize room i didn't have!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Fay1510
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Fay

There is a great deal of confusion here for which I apologise. Room 36 does have a king size bed and was classified as a double superior on the basis that it had been full refurbished. As time has moved on everything has been refurbished and R36 has now been reclassified as a standard double. We would not offer a free room simply because the room you were given was smaller than expected - a refund of the difference between the standards and superiors most certainly which is why I intervened. After a lot of questions it appears you were offered a free night as a result of confusion as to what the problem was. Our reception manager has since been in touch with you.

Best wishes and aplogies once more

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at this attractive and very well-situated hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and our room (with balcony) was very nice, too. Very hot, and the fan provided only helped to a certain point - though, to be fair, it isn't usually 30 deg in the UK. Beds very comfortable, wifi good, good value for money and breakfast (in courtyard with rest of family) very good too. Dinner on the one night we had it there was variable - some courses excellent, some okay. Pool was nice, sauna was nice, I didn't use the gym or spa. Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Be aware that there is no air conditioning. Superior rooms with balconies give you the option of le...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review Ellise which is very much appreciated.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner booked us in to The Orchid Suite for my pre birthday treat this weekend. He had paid for champagne to be ready for us on arrival as well. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left we couldn't find anything to complain about. The only thing, a small thing, is that there is supposed to be a sea view from the balcony of the Suite, maybe if the trees in the car park were cut down there would be. The staff were really professional and attentive. We had only been in the Suite less than 10 minutes when the room phone rang and it was reception enquiring if all was ok. The Suite itself was amazing, so much room! The bathroom was lovely with the free standing bath, so deep as well, enjoyed a nice soak. King size bed, bit squishy but still comfy. Breakfast, so much choice! And to be able to eat outdoors was a treat, plenty of tables with shady spots from the hot sun. We went out each night and ended up back at the hotel bar for a drink, drinks being charged to the room wasn't a problem. There was a fan in the room which was just as well with the weather we are having at the moment, very hot in the room. The hotel isn't too far from town, about 10/15 minutes walk. We enjoyed a trip on the railway down the cliff to the beach, beautiful views, nice if you are feeling lazy! The end of the beach that the railway goes down to is the quieter end of the beach and no pebbles to contend with to walk in to the sea unlike further up the beach. The hotel has a great heated swimming pool in the basement and a jacuzzi which we used one afternoon. In all this hotel is fantastic and i was thoroughly impressed! Great location as well, plenty of free parking in the hotel grounds. All the staff were lovely, friendly and interested in the purpose of your visit and wishing you well on your journey home.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Orchid Suite which has a lovely balcony overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the brilliant review Kel and Jim and delighted you enjoyed your birthday treat. There is a "glimpse" of the sea when looking to the right but on beautiful days it's hard to tell the difference between the sky and the sea!! The weather is so kind to us right now and makes the garden a real treat for both breakfast and especially dinner. Hope to see you both again soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a weekend break and decided to splash out and pay a little extra this time. While we both enjoyed our stay, I would not rate the room (36) as a "Superior Double", which is what we had booked, we have payed less for larger rooms (with a bath) in other Bournemouth hotels. However the staff were excellent, breakfasts were good and plenty of facilities (sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, pool & gym). I also wish someone would have warned me about the tree sap when using their car park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Mampara,

Many thanks for your generous review. I have asked our reception manager top contact you regarding your room and I hope the outcome meets with your approval. I look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My friend and I went for a pre birthday girly weekend and our opinion was it was perfect. Firstly the staff .. friendly professional and couldn't do enough for you, secondly the room and facilities - we had a lovely twin superior room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard .. fabulous ( we did hear other guest complain about outside noise if they had a room facing out of the hotel) fantastic pool, close to Bournemouth ..we had breakfast and dinner there for two days and I can see why it is award winning,,, we were lucky enough to be able to eat outside and the dinner was delicious again served by charming and professional staff ( as were the ladies on reception and at the pool) I think they had also arranged the gorgeous summer weather too... if you haven't stayed there we highly recommend you too!! Thank you one and all for a fantastic two nights!!!!

Room Tip: booking into a room that faces into the hotel not the road
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you too Libra-free for your fantasic "fabulous" review - our team were really delighted to be mentioned in such glowing terms, especially those in the restaurant. Glad you enjoyed the experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Day 2 of our 3 night stay, we experienced power outages for a period, but that was not a big issue for us. Unfortunately the folloving night the water disappeared and that was a worse situation. We could not use toilet, (and of cource neither take a shower) and on top off all the hotel telefone system also broke down so we could not contact the reception. After waiting until 7 in the morning I needed to find a toilet and dressed and went down to the reception. There they told me to go to the neighboring building where there were one toilet and several waiting to use it. After several hours without water they finally reached a plumber. The problem was the hotel`s own pump that had not started after the power outage the day before. The water was back about 9:30 PM.
That this incident happens is due to bad practice from the hotel management to check that everyting is working after a power failure, and is not a force majure situation. I spoke to the hotel manager and asked for a reduction in hotel rate for all the inconveniences we had , and he promised to look into it. He then send me an E-mail later the same day (accidentially i checked my E-mail on my phone. He should of course had contacted med personally, I was still staying at the hotel), and offered med 15% on my next stay !!!
This was not acceptable at all, but his reply was that this was is only offer - take it or leave it!

The hotel also has a bad practice to charge their customer for the hole stay when you arrive, so I had alredy been charged for 3 Nights, 436 £ when the situation occured. (the price is quite high for a standard room with either aircinditioning or minibar) I will recommend those who choose to stay at this hotel not to accept to pay for more than one night in advance. When they had got Your Money it seems like they don`t care if they delivere what you have paid for or not.

At last i find it irresponible to let the hotel guests sleep in a hotell without water, and they also served breakfast when the water was cut.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Arnfinn S
Sadly one of those situations that was totally out of our control!! Southern Electricity turned off the power on Friday to save a local hotel going on fire. When they turned the power back on the surge blew our telephones and also the pumps that fill the water tanks. The tank issue we were unaware of due to the water still being available but it gradually ran out however normal service was resumed at 9.15am not 9.30PM as you stated in your review and with most guests unaware of the problem.
You were offered a discount to make up for the inconvenience of being without water for just 3 1/2 hours and I am really sorry it didn't meet with your expectations. When I spoke to you at breakfast the water was in full flow by the time you returned to your room.