“great gem in Bournemouth”

Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my wife on 28th and 29th September as a perk through work i got a stay for free. I would have happily paid for this however as this is a really good hotel. We stayed in a small room, room 34 and had i been staying for longer then 2 days would have requested a room move as it is quite small. The bathroom was tiny but had a shower and toilet so what more do you need? The staff all seemed like they wanted to be there which is always a plus. The breakfasts were great although the sausage wasn't liked by my wife. We didn't have dinner at the hotel as we went out in the town to eat so cant comment on that side of the hotel, The only issue i had was on the first night we went into the bar and had a drink and found the prices were very high. It was £8.50 ish for a pint of beer and bottle of magners. Apart from that however this is a great hotel and i would defiantly come back with my children in the future.

Room Tip: If you get room 34 ask for a change as its very small.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy M
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Wonderful!!! Thanks Andy for your super, 5 star review and really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I have just come back from celebrating my birthday at the Connaught accompanied by our Son, Daughter in Law , their 9 month old baby and our Daughter and Son in Law. We cannot praise the Connaught Staff too highly. Everyone, in particular the reception team and Nick and his team in Blakes restaurant went out of their way to make this a special stay. It was clear that this was not something out of the ordinary as all guests seem to be having the same level of kind, considerate and friendly service at all times. The quality of the rooms, location and of course the food was way above the star rating. If you really want to enjoy your stay in Bournemouth then go to the Connaught!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank andrew d
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Many thanks Andrew for you very comprehensive, 5 star review. Delighted to read you birthday was a great success and thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was really impressed with it all. The room I had was a single, but plenty big enough. It was nicely decorated and immaculatly clean,the bathroom was modern and also very clean. The room had all mod cons including a fan, obvioulsy not needed in the horrific weather we had!! I was at the front of the hotel over the entrance and the car park and I can honestly say I didn't hear a thing, apart from the rain.
The breakfast was fantsatic, there was everything anyone could possibly want, from cereals, fruit and of course a full english and it was all beautifully presented and cooked, and yes I tried most of it, well not all at the same time but over the two days. Why is it you have cereal or toast at home but when confronted by the works you have abit of evrything?? I call it good manners!!! :)
The staff were lovely too, from the reception deks to the dining room they were all welcoming, friendly and very polite, nothing seemed to much trouble. They are a credit to themsleves and to the Best Western Hotel name
I expect now you may think I would recommend this hotel to anyone?? and you are right I really would and would return anytime, I am just sorry my conference didn't go on for longer. Stay here and you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: I had a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the car park and it was very quiet.
2  Thank Nicolambibby1

A fantastic, 5 star review Nicola, thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Such a nice hotel. Great value. Great location - 8 minutes walk from the conference centre. Car park very small (in a transit van!!) but the staff were amazing - they take your keys and move your vehicle (if necessary to double park) should it be necessary. The food was excellent - breakfast had a great choice. Also had dinner in the bar and Blakes and both were superb. Couldn't fault the staff - all really helpful and polite. We were in a room in the lodge - which is the pouring rain requires a bit of a sprint to where the restaurant is but not anything to grumble about. Would definitely book again when in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Many thanks Enicol hope the conference was just as good!!!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The car parking was a bit hairy, very busy hotel and frequently changing clientele. Stayed in superior room, ok but nothing special ,but nothing worn as in many british hotels and very clean, excellent cleaning staff. Now the food, my wife is lactose intolerant and if we get soya milk we have usually done well.Here great care was spent in explaining menu and what she could safely eat, special sweets were prepared for her which she really enjoyed. The meals were cordon bleau ,so quality not quantity, i can honestly say the food , especially the evening meals, were the best i have experienced in a hotel and superior to so many so called restuarants. Thanks and congratulations to all staff members
ps, used the free internet fast and usually available

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks Graham for your superb review - our Maitre d' is superb at looking after guests with a food intolerance and I was delighted to read just how much you both enjoyed your dining experience.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and while I couldn't fault the service or the food, my stay was let down by a couple of things. Parts of the spa need some cosmetic work - the ladies toilets have damage to the walls that looks like there has been a flood. My main concern, however, was the room I had - as I was travelling alone, I was allocated a single room, which was fair enough, but it was situated at the top of the first stair landing, which meant that every person going to or from any other bedroom had to pass my door, which had a large gap at the bottom, so was not sound proofed at all! I only managed a very small amount of sleep, as every time I dozed off, somebody would walk past and wake me up! The hotel was full, otherwise I am sure they would have moved me had I asked. I was part of a family party and room 34, which was allocated to another of our party had a bathroom so small that the occupants kept hitting their elbows and knees on the walls and fittings when attempting turning! Overall, I would stay here again, but not in room 22 or 34!

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, ask NOT to have room 22. It is directly off the first floor stairs and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review Janet however I was very sorry to read of your disturbed night's sleep. I have taken on board your point about the door and have asked the maintenance manager to order up a better fitting unit which will resolve the problem. Please contact me on your next visit and I will ensure you have a good night's sleep!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel from 15 to 19 September, 2012. Its a beautiful "old world charm" stone building with good facilities. Breakfast was good ( sitting in lawn is really good). Staff is courteous and helpful. Hotel.com had given a good rate. Rooms are specious. Only negative issue is very poor or no internet connectivity in Room No. 50 where I stayed in ( then I changed the room after 2 days). All top floor rooms ( on 3rd floor) come with excellent balcony with seating arrangement but then you may have to sacrifice on internet wifi connectivity. Hotel should offer free daily news paper to member of Best Western chain like me. But over all experience was very good.

Bus stop is 5 minutes away. Bournemouth town center is 7 minutes away. Beach is 300 meters from Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your experience with us Milanhbise; thank you very much for taking the trouble to write in - apologies about the WiFi which can vary in quality at the busiest times of the day.