Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton
  • Breakfast included
The Green House(Bournemouth)
Hotel Miramar(Bournemouth)
1,319 results
All reviewssea viewoutdoor poollovely hoteltravelzoo dealhuge roomrestaurant managerevening mealfamily roomreception staffair showsea frontleisure facilitiestown centretwo night staybuffet stylethe cliffa lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I've been staying at this hotel virtually every year since the 1960s. Finally I've had enough. It used to be a magnificent 5* establishment. Now it's clinging on to a 4* rating by its shirt tails.
Any enjoyment of your stay is governed by the chamber maids. You're lucky if your room is cleaned by 2pm. So if you want to watch afternoon tv in peace or take a nap - forget it!
The tv set is something from the 1950s. When you finally find a channel that works you're expecting Andy Pandy or Muffin the Mule to appear.
I could go on ..... and on ..... and on! I won't!
Speak to the duty manager. Or rather don't speak to the duty manager. What an unpleasant individual. Doesn't give a damn!
Hotel is hopelessly understaffed although those who can speak English are relatively pleasant.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ilnyalso
woodl2001, Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2011

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, I have to point out that it was myself you spoke to prior to your departure. I did try to explain that the chambermaids do the rooms in rotation, but we are always pleased to service individual rooms on request this is done by the guest contacting reception who will ensure this is done.

We guarantee that every room is serviced by 15.00hrs and this has not caused a problem previously, at the weekend we find the majority of our guests make the most of the hotel location and would prefer the room being serviced later so that they are not disturbed while having a lie in.

I must apologise if you found me to be unhelpful, but you would not allow me to investigate the situation with the head housekeeper who I had asked to speak to me as soon as you came down to reception.

With regards to the televisions we have a range of channels available and I cannot find any report from yourself that the room you occupied had poor quality picture, had we recieved a comment we would have sent a member of staff to rectify the situation straight away.

We do employ members of staff whose first language is not English but as you will see from the majority of the recent reviews that our guests find them very helpful and pleasent. I can completely understand that you will find the hotel has changed over the years but I can assure you that we do endevour to meet the requests from all our guests.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Having stayed at the hotel for many years we are just returning home from our last visit, we have stayed at the hotel to celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary again everything was just perfect, from the quality of the food to the general cleanliness , excellent service and very friendly staff . The weather was just great we had a room with amazing sea views. The location is just great as the hotel is just a short walk to the town centre. Big thanks to the Staff that made our celebration even more special by arranging flowers and champagne to my parents on our behalf they just loved the unexpected surprise. We certain would recommend this amazing Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel to participate in a Ladies weekend. I had read good and bad reviews and was hoping to be delighted with the hotel. I wasn't very surprised to find we were at the back of the hotel. No sea view for us. The room was dated and apart from a huge cobweb was reasonably clean. The large bath towels were appreciated and the complimentary toiletries were of a nice standard. The bed however was the most uncomfortable I had ever slept in. The springs creaked with the slightest of movement and jutted out throughout the bed. This room certainly had not been recently renovated.
Overall we found the staff to be friendly although service was very slow. The leisure facilities were well maintained and we were often the only couple using them. We both had massages at an extra cost which were excellent. Breakfast was not very hot but the choice was adequate.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
woodl2001, Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that the lodge choose the Carlton as thier venue for their ladies festival. The hotel is very popular for these events with many Lodges returning for a number of years in a row. Room allocations are normally done by the festival secretary and despite the room you occupied was at the rear of the hotel the rooms are all larger than average.

I am sorry that there were aspects of the room that were not up to standard we do endevour to renew the beds on a regular basis and we are currently puting together a refurbish programme for a number of the bedrooms.

I am glad to see that you found the staff friendly and we try to get the balance of service correct for all groups and I am sorry if this was not the case during your stay. For breakfasts at the weekend we have a buffet service and I will certainly monitor the temperature of the food served .

Reviewed March 12, 2011

I won't repeat all the (usually justified) comments about the decor. The room was large and comfortable. The restaurant was overheated, both for dinner and breakfast, and the ambiance wasn't helped by the Sellotape covering a bit of the carpet. Last orders for dinner at 9pm seems a bit early for a 4 star hotel (especially as we arrived at 8.40pm after a three hour drive). Staff were pleasant and helpful. My main objection was being told there could be no late
checkout unless I paid for another
night. The reviewer who objected to £10 an hour was getting a bargain! The hotel wasn't busy (weekday in March). Bad PR move. I wouldn't have minded a surcharge, but a full nights charge?

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Have just returned from a long weekend away at the Carlton. Must say the level of service was very good and the room we had was most comfortable and pleasant. Yes, a few things looked a bit tired but it must be hard for these seaside hotels to keep up. Overall we had an excellent stay, thank you Carlton!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, Spring is certainly one of the best times to visit Bournemouth and with the sunshine we are currently enjoying I cant think of a better place to spend a long weekend.

Regarding the point you raise about the hotel being tired we are just about to commence a programmme to refurbish the Library and lounges which will give them a great face lift.