“Special Occasion”

Langtry Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at Langtry Manor for one night, in the St Leger Room (situated in the annexe over the road from the main hotel) celebrating a special anniversary.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and the food in particular was very good.
The room is a good size, and four poster bed was very comfortable. It was lovely and quiet which is very important to us. A small occasional table would have been handy but not a big issue. Being in the annexe is not so convenient when it is raining, but it is only a quick walk over to the main hotel. However, there is ample parking space outside both annexe and main hotel.
Welcome at Reception was very good and in fact we found all the staff we encountered to be very pleasant and helpful.
We enjoyed our Sunday evening dinner in the restaurant, taking advantage of the Anniversary Special Menu, which we thought was good value. A really nice touch was the complimentary special dessert with sparklers (we had been asked on booking if this was a special occasion and it was so thoughtful for it to be acknowledged like this).
Breakfast was lovely - I had the porridge which was scrummy, topped with brown sugar and served with cream. I had to leave some or I would not have had room for the cooked breakfast - and it was really good so did not want to miss it. We thought choice was excellent.
Would definitely return and recommend.

2  Thank ThelmaBournemouth

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed with my wife and dog for one night. This was a real find as although it is a little way off the seafront, it is set in a quiet road and the hotel has ample parking. We stayed in the Lilly Langtry room with a four poster bed and jacuzzi bath in the room. I had a sense of stepping back in time, with many original features restored whilst the modern expectations such as flat screen tv, good quality condiments and bath robes make it perfect.
I did not use the restaurant for our evening meal, however the menu looked very tempting, and having enjoyed the full English breakfast, this clearly is a hotel that understands how to deliver great food.
The staff were all very helpful and welcoming, which made our short stay very relaxing.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank krmontour
Reviewed October 8, 2012

stayed here for two nights,what a nice place to stay with a history lesson thrown in, staff very helpful, nothing to much trouble, only had breakfast here but no addaed extras even if you had smoked salmon,plenty of choice,food very goodwould stay there again

2  Thank happydazEssex
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here mid-week using a KGB voucher. We stayed in the Jeanne Marie room which was pretty, clean and comfortable, but not cosy. There were no curtains on the windows, only shutters so a lot of light came in in the mornings. The bathroom was clean and served it's purpose although it was small. The breakfast was decent enough although we found the bread to be of a lower quality than we would purchase ourselves. The staff were ALL friendly, polite and helpful although I found the breakfast service a little slow but certainly bearable. The hotel itself is pretty, interesting and comfortable. I would certainly recommend staying here if anyone was going to be in Bournemouth although I'm not sure I would if they had to pay the full standard rate.

Room Tip: My guess is that we had the smallest room as we were using a discounted voucher deal. I would recomm...
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I call it our 1st stay because we will definitley be going back again. Lovely room (Derby) and staff helpful and assisted my husband to set a few surprises for my birthday. Breakfast was very good and evening meals were excellent quality with a good choice. Excellent afternoon teas served in bar area. Bournemouth town centre is approx 5 minute walk. Bar was comfortably furnished and relaxing.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We decided to go horseriding on our 3rd wedding anniversary and found some stables in New Milton so looked for a nearby hotel. Being our wedding anniversary we decided to spoil ourselves and looked for a hotel with a jacuzzi and this one has either that or a whirl pool/spa bath in every room!

From the minute we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by the staff who were friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautiful as are the grounds but you are still near to town and the beaches.

We were allocated the Alexandra Suite which has it's own little staircase up from the door in to the room. It then opens out in to two halves - the huge bedroom area with wardrobe, flat screen TV and mini bar plus complimentary tea and coffee making facilities. There is also a small room with a toilet and sink.

The other half is a living area with a sofa, two chairs, a fire place over which is another flat screen TV and most importantly, the jacuzzi! It's in the corner and also has a shower attachment and curtain.

When I'd booked I was asked if it was a special occasion and told the receptionist it was our anniversary and she asked which one and what was my husband's name. I thought nothing of it but when we got in to the room, there was a red rose and some fancy chocolates on the bed!

Whilst there we decided to eat in the Langtry and were not disappointed. We were led to a bar/lounge area where we were given a complimentary champagne cocktail some nibbles whilst we looked through the wine and food menus. We made our selection and then a short while later were taken through to the dining area. The food was amazing, we both had fish starters and then my husband had lamb and I had hake for mains and they were faultless and served by lovely young guy who was just the right amount of attentive - not bothering us every five minutes as is the way in these types of restaurants but enough to ensure we had everything we needed and that it was all ok.

We finished our mains and had the dessert menus when they suddenly brought out a type of pavlova especially for us - the meringues were shaped like two swans kissing over a puddle of cream and fruit and there were sparklers stuck in them. The waiter placed this on the table and then presented us with a scroll which congratulated us on our anniversary. It was such a lovely touch that we had not expected as we had already had chocolates and the rose but it was a perfect end to a perfect night.

I would highly recommend this hotel if want to treat yourself or a loved one for a special occasion as it's posh enough to make it really memorable but not so posh that you're frightened about eatingt with the right knife and fork or doing something wrong! the rooms are gorgeous and the staff are all lovely.

1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at Langtry Manor on the 21st and 22nd September 2012 and we were very disappointed, it is very over priced (£640. 00) for what it claims.

The decor on entering the building was unimpressive, the welcome patronising. We had a ground floor suite the Disraeli which is situated behind reception and a vary untidy office to the right of the door. Whilst the rooms were clean and well furnished it was small oppressive and the windows looked on to the car park, which meant that the blinds were closed at all times to ensure privacy.

The bathroom was also very small the whirlpool bath had high sides making it difficult to get in and out as the shower was over the bath and you take a soaking prior running the bath which took 20 minutes because it was difficult to regulate the temperature. The wash hand basin must have been leaking because my cosmetics were soaked in water.

To fill the kettle was difficult because the tap was so low and to find a socket to plug the kettle in proved challenging. The next morning we found the kettle plug in to a socket at low level behind a high chest of draws that it was sitting on.

Before dinner we were offered a complementary Champagne cocktail, but I don’t drink Champagne and asked for a glass of white wine instead and you would have thought I had given the waiter the biggest insult ever by his response and guess what it wasn't complementary! It was also warm and I had to ask for ice which also must have been a tiresome request. All the wine served during our stay was warm, how can a hotel of that stature not realise that, it beggars belief or perhaps they just do not care.

They boast “Langtry's Restaurant stands out as something a little special due to its award winning food presented in an historic regal setting”

Because of this quote on their website we were really looking forward to our meal but it was very vary average. The starter I chose was scallops which came with lemon herb crab cake and a £4.00 supplement and what a rip off. There were two scallops and two things that didn't taste of anything.

For the main course I had hake in white wine sauce this was the special of the day it was nice but very bland to look at and not an award winning dish at all, in fact Waitrose do a vary similar meal, maybe that’s where it came from.

The breakfast was good, pity the waiting staff weren't and it would help enormously if they understood English.

There was a slight difference on price on the final bill upon leaving which was change but no one had asked me if I had wanted a large or small glass of wine so there was a variation on price, it didn't seem to bother them that the wine was warm or the room was oppressive. I am guessing that they receive so many complaints that it is water off a ducks back! And just ignore complaints as a matter of course. Needless to say we will not be going back.

4  Thank Liz S