“Horrible staff”

Ranked #67 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Diamante, Entre Rios, Argentina
“Horrible staff”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

What can I say about this place. I stayed here earlier this year in the peak of the summer. It was my first time going to Bournemouth (and probably my last). I parked outside the hotel which was handy, some overly aggressive man came from across the street and told me I have move my car because I was on the white line (which I was not). I found this man’s attitude very unpleasant and I did not know who the heck he was. I thought he was some builder or something, rather than make him even more angry I adjusted the car position as I felt he might do something to my car if I did not. I was already put in a bad mood before I even got into the hotel, imagine how I felt when I found this horrid man works at the hotel. I really did not want to stay at this hotel anymore so I decided to cancel my room which was pre booked for three days. Fortunately, there seemed to be plenty of places across the road which seemed much better than this. Unfortunately I was told I still had to pay for the room. I reluctantly decided to stay. I was give my room key by another horrible person who works at the hotel this time a woman (which I believe was the aggressive man’s wife). I went to my room which itself was ok. Puke green bathroom but it had a large TV in the room. The room while ugly was clean which was one of the few plus points this place gets. However, I felt so uncomfortable in this place I decide to leave the next and moved to the Ferriby Guest House which was next door. I did not get my money back for the room but why do I need to put up with these horrible people.

Room Tip: Go across the road to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Kancer
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Well here we go again, if you are going to leave a false review please get some facts right, there is no guest house next door, but there is a guest house called the Ferriby that takes dss you stayed there? I don't think so!.
Please check out reviews on sites that only allow guests who have actually stayed to post reviews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Gweek Cornwall
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for just two nights for a concert at the Pavilion.
It was a treat !Location for us was ideal, with a straight road into the town centre a brisk 20 minute walk.
Room was well appointed, with all necessary comforts. Nice and quiet, with no traffic noise. Bus stop outside the door. Superb breakfast served by owner and staff. who made sure that you had all you you would wish for.
Loved the very high doors and the story of the first owner, the very tall China man!!
All in all worth the stay at well under travel inn prices.
In the town centre,shopping area, find TK Max arcade and see the chines buffet "Days", which is the most amazing value, is at least 50 main s and 30 plus desserts , not counting the chocolate fountains and ice creams!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Very many thanks for taking the time to write your review. It is always encouraging to get a positive response. We do hope you will visit us again when you are next in Bournemouth
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, room plenty big enough for the 3 of us, travel cot provided which we didn't use as it was too small. Not hotels fault.
Room was lovely and clean, nothing seemed to be a problem when we asked the woman owner (not sure of name). we was allowed to have fish and chips in our room which was muchly appreciated, only thing we found wrong was we wasn't welcomed very well when we first arrived, the bloke (again no name) couldn't seem to be bothered. Breakfast was lovely and the woman who served was lovely and didn't mind doing something separate for our 14 month old, on checking out we wasn't asked if everything was ok, everything was ok but it just misses a little customer interaction. Hotel close to beach as described so people spending 20 minutes finding it our going wrong somewhere. I read reviews before we came and was a little worried but everything was fine.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Although it is fairly positive we are a little confused. It was I, Julie, who checked you in. I remember chatting to you and laughing with and talking to your lovely happy baby. So who the man was we can't be sure? Maintenance man perhaps, was he another guest even? I also chatted to you later on about the football ground and gave directions. Very glad you found the quick route to the sea! I also took your payment in the morning, but as you went back to the room I didn't check you out, so can only apologise if the person you handed your key to didn't ask about your stay, it is our normal practice to do so and we will check with other staff to try to make sure they do.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in September 2013, the car park had very limited spaces, but it is free on a first come first serve basis. When we first arrived we were told that the beach is a 5-8 minute walk, but with the help of Google Maps, it took about 20-25 minutes, which isn't a problem on a sunny day!

Our room was small but clean, it had plenty of drawers for storage and many plugs which was very ideal. The room was equipped with a tv, clean towels, extra pillows and tea/coffee making facilities. The room was looking out to the road but there was no noise, seemed like a quite road. The ensuit bathroom was tiny, but also clean, and the shower was ok.

Breakfast was pretty basic, a choice of cereals / hot foods as well as juices, the service was very efficent.

The staff were very friendly throughout our visit and tried to make it as pleasant for us as possible. If I were to go back to Bournemouth again, I would probably consider staying somewhere closer to the beach though, but it was an enjoyable stay at The Ashleigh overall...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for leaving this positive review, we are grateful, however for the benefit of readers we would like to clarify a couple of points. The cliff top is less than half a mile away with zig zag paths and a lift to the beach, we have no idea why it would have taken you so long. We have an aerial photo by the front door that shows exactly where we are, and in the hotel information provided in the Rooms directions are provided as well.

We would very much appreciate an email with your recommendations regarding Breakfast. During high season, when you stayed, we provide Croissants, 6/7 cereal varieties, grapefruit, melon, apples, oranges, cheeses, yoghurts, hard boiled eggs, Muffins, Pain au Chocolate, 4 different juices, then the full range of English cooked breakfast items plus pancakes with fresh filter coffee or tea and home made bread. Suggestions as to how we can improve the, or what we may have missed would be useful, we always try to improve.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just stayed at The Ashleigh with my family, have to admit my partner and I were a bit disappointed.

We feel the hotel is over charging (£200 for a family room 2x nights). A very standard hotel, missing little touches (shower gel, towel rails, cover for remote control so the batteries kept falling out - our 1 yr old kept trying to eat the batteries!) The bathroom door handle fell off in my hand this morning! The room tea is awful.

Beds really old & uncomfortable. Blinds let light in through the bottom.

Staff were not very accommodating when we asked to borrow 2 towels for the beach and told there would be a charge, wouldn't have minded if we hadn't already paid £200!

Area is run down and shabby, felt un easy walking in and out of town with our young children. If your looking to visit Bournemouth the West side is much nicer.

Breakfast was lovely - compliments to the chef, and we did appreciate the fact they supplied a travel cot for us & bedding.

Overall The Ashleigh is pretty standard accommodation and the photos in our opinion are miss leading.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank KarlaGG
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Win some lose some and we knew this was coming after we asked you to pay for the washing of the towels if you took them to the beach, which we do not think is unfair.

Sorry the PG tips tea bags are not to your taste and the new bed as well, it's funny as that room also had a new remote in it as well, back missing now, but to be fair they do not last long.

Yes I will admit the blinds are not totally light free if not closed properly but you could have asked and the door handle is news to us .

Pictures are of the rooms and the building is cared for, I have no problem holding up our hands if we get it wrong, but to nit pick over the washing of sandy towels I find upsetting.

At your request I waived our rule on the babies age provided a cot, linen etc at no charge then, this is how you repay us, we provided a service well worth the money and our consciences are clear
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After a good nights sleep, in a delightful room overlooking the garden,then coming down to delightful real English breakfast was an added bonus. A wander round the compact garden, which was in full flower, made our three day break very enjoyable. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. The Hotel is very near the Railway station for those who don't arrive in a car. Buses at the top of the road a 100 yards or so away.

Room Tip: Overlook the garden which is a delight.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave the review
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My partner and i with 2 friends stayed at the Ashleigh for 4 nights. We were very pleased with our choice, the hotel was very clean throughout, our "superior"room was comfortable with all the usual tea/coffee making facilities, built in wardrobes, nice bathroom and a very a good shower. the bed was comfortable with extra pillows available. the full English breakfast was really plentiful , you could'nt fault it. The owners and staff were very nice and helpful and "REAL PEOPLE" , another bonus was the parking in the front of the hotel off the road, -- to sum up, if you are looking for a really nice down to earth hotel with no frills i'd have no hesitation in recommending the Ashleigh, will definately stay again when we return to Bournemouth. FOOTNOTE ----- I've just read a terrible review of this hotel on here and just had to respond!!!!! ITS NOT RED LIGHT DISTRICT !!!! my partner went out to meet her son one evening and never had any issues at being out alone , and never saw anybody loitering around anywhere, its more than obvious the person that left the review is not referring to this hotel or is a very spiteful person, oh! and there is a "do not disturb" card he could have hung on the door. THERE'S SOME STRANGE PEOPLE ABOUT!!! and think he's one of them

Room Tip: we had superior room, so can't comment on others
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends