“superb hotel, excellent value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bourne Hall Hotel

Bourne Hall Hotel
Ranked #57 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Luton, England
“superb hotel, excellent value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Having just returned from a long weekend at the Bourne Hall with a group of 63 people. I have to say we were worried after reading some of the reviews on this site, but found them to be far from the truth.
The rooms were as you would expect from a 2 star hotel, the rooms i seen were all clean and comfortable. The food was good and plentiful offering choices on all 3 courses, and with the breakfast being a buffet style and great quality.
We had entertainment on all 3 nights and went down well with all the party.
The staff were very helpful, Lucinda the hotel owner was very helpful and sorted any issues we had promptly, George who ran the bar for most of the time was pleasant and helpful. Neil the night porter was also pleasant and always there when needed, despite having other work to do during the night.
Overall we found the hotel to be excellent value for money, and WILL certainly be going back for another stay.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Folkestone
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

A colleague and I stayed at the Bourne Hall Hotel from 19th-21st September whilst attending the Infection Prevention Society's Conference...little did we know how ironic that would turn out to be!

Having spent a long (4 and a half hour) train journey from Kent, we arrived at 19:40. We were met by an unmanned reception, and after 10 minutes of waiting, my colleague went into the lounge/bar to try and find someone to help us. The person running the bar was also supposedly covering reception and said he would check us in. (We later found out that this was in fact George, the manager, described by a previous reviewer as very friendly and helpful). We were told that we were a bit late for dinner and we might not be served as it was late (it was now 19:50). Asking when dinner was served, the reply we received was "18:30 - 20:30", so we in fact had another 40 mins. When we stated this point, we were told that he would phone the restaurant and ask if there was anything left. When he hung up, we were told we'd have to go down now. We asked if there was any chance we could put our bags in our rooms first, which was reluctantly agreed, but we had to order our starter and main now and "please hurry". We proceeded to our rooms, on different floors, but as long as the were clean we were happy. My room was nothing special, but looked clean. My only concern was with the side panel of the bath hanging off and the bathroom vent being furred with thick dust. My colleague was, however, less fortunate. Outside her room was a dusty trolley with debris on top (and there it stayed until we left on Tuesday). Above this was a delightful painting of a mountain, through which a pen had been pushed and dragged down the mountain. The best was yet to come...

Inside her room there were two towels folded neatly at the end of the bed. On the top one was an insect, which she managed to kill before it moved any further. On the wall near the bed there was a suspicious looking mark (brown organic matter), and then nearer the window there were what looked to be blood spatters. Her bed sheet was torn.

Heading downstairs for dinner, we passed by reception, smiling at George (who was outside the door smoking a cigarette), who first smiled back and then stuck out his tongue at my colleague. We were apalled and hurried down the steps. We were told where to sit and offered a bread roll each. Accepting gratefully, we then had to search for butter and take it from another table. Our starters arrived seconds later. My soup was hot and tasted fine (although I had to swap my soup spoon for a clean one!), but my colleague, having ordered "eggs mayonnaise salad" was given a plate with a boiled egg cut in half and covered with salad cream. There was a sprinkling of iceburg lettuce and a few slices of cucumber. Having eaten these, we were quickly served our roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner. The beef was reasonable, served with two large roast potatoes (between us) and beans/red cabbage. No sooner had our cutlery reached the plates, the table was cleared. We felt distinctly that we were being rushed out. Feeling unwelcome in our own hotel, we spotted some of my colleagues' former workmates, also staying at the hotel and all agreed to go up the road to a pub for a drink. The loud Turkish karaoke that we had been greeted with seemed to be continuing.

The following morning, my colleague informed me that she had barely slept because of the insect we had seen the night before. Sympathising, I followed her down to breakfast, which again, was reasonable (although the scrambled egg needed to be cut with a knife and the top plate was dirty). We spent the rest of the day at our conference and were (thankfully) pitied by some reps who took us out for dinner that evening. Following dinner, my colleague spent another restless night, this time being bitten by what we now know are bed bugs. We were so relieved not to be spending another night there!

Now home, I learn that my colleague contacted Bournemouth Environmental Health Services who were in fact aware of the bed bug infestation at the Bourne Hall Hotel (and it had apparently undergone treatment on Monday), yet we were not informed of this problem at the time of booking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank kathrin82

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

oswestry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

For a short last minute break we were very impressed with this hotel.The food was excellent "home cooking" and the rooms were clean and serviced well (although maybe a little dated for some taste)
The staff were helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

spent 4great nights and thought the hotel would be bad after reading reviews but found opposite.. was clean.. food was excellent best i ever had in hotels.. entertainment very good.. large bar.. beds comfortable.. and big thanks to george the hotel manager who never stops working and will help with anything and is very friendly.. will definately go back good value for money dont know what people want thesedays wasnt just me thought this so did everyone on the tour..thanks

• Stayed August 2010
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Great website - thought we would be staying at a really decent hotel but was so completely shocked when we arrived. We were put in a pokey back room on the bottom floor. I had requested an extra bed for our child, only to find a camp cot - she is 4 years old! A bed was brought for her but was broken and had to be fixed - it broke again in the night. The bathroom smelled of wee, and had mould growing in the shower. The carpets weren't vacuumed in our room, and when I went to open the middle top window it was covered in cobwebs. The website is correct in everything it states, but the tv was fuzzy and only had 4 channels not the 11 advertised. We could make tea and coffee but only got 4 milks and no teaspoon to stir it with. There is a decked terrace but it is tiny and was occupied by youngsters all night - right outside our window!
My husband and I are generally go with the flow kind of people, but this experience was horrific and we were so happy we were only staying for one night. I really feel we were ripped off as our room cost £90 but was in such a poor state, and the website really makes it look so much more grander than it actually is!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nomadic7880
Lincolnshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

I went camping with my wife and the tent blew away in the middle of the night. We phoned the Bourne Hotel and a chap with very poor english answered the phone. When asked if they had a room for the night he replied that it would cost £80 with no breakfast. ( I have a feeling that the price was made up on the spot as this hotel had more of a DSS hostel feel about it)
The entrance is up a few steps where the reception area is a mix of broken telephone exchange bits and piles of paper; this reminded me of a scrap yard near where I lived as a child.
The room was small with a scruffy single glazed window onto a busy road. Sheets thankfully looked clean at 2 o'clock in the morning as we arrived. En Suite shower room was tiny with a sink built into the window sill and also looked like it hadn't seen a cleaner for a while.
I would never return here and would not recommend this to anyone unless it was for a detention centre.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CorneliusBalfour
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Where to start! Very little staff at breakfast time. Plates and dishes not cleared away, the food was not very nice, seemed as if this was reheated at some point. Very little choice for breakfast. The room was very basic, needs decorating, very noisey with traffic. Shower never worked properly, went hot and cold. Picture on the tv wasn't very watchable, no freeview or sky, kettle never turned itself off in the room, had to switch it off by the socket. Very good for the location. Poor value for money. Will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple