“A comfortable, yet basic hotel.”
Review of Bourne Hall Hotel

Bourne Hall Hotel
Ranked #57 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Hampshire
“A comfortable, yet basic hotel.”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

After reading some of the other negative reviews, I felt compelled to have my say. I visited the Bourne hotel as part of a small stag party during the summer and despite a few small criticisms, we all had a fantastic stay.

Firstly, as other reviews have stated, the location is ideal for the city center and connecting junctions. However there is a rather steep hill to tackle. The reception and bar area are very spacious and the drinks are competively priced. Theres also a decked area towards the rear for those perfect summer days.

For the price we paid, the hotel is excepetional value for money. We had 3 twin rooms, which were basic yet perfectly functional and spacious. The decor was dated, but certainly not an issue for us. The beds were comfy, yet the duvet supplied was very thin. Once again, not a problem for us given the temp. There was a large wardrobe complete with hangers and a small tv. Sadly no Sky or freeview, just the basic channels.

My main criticism lies with the bathroom. Whilst on the surface everything looked clean, on closer inspection the bath was very dirty. Not your normal dirt, it was ground into the bath after years of neglect no doubt. Also the showers over the bath were rather pathetic and there was plenty of mould around the window.

In regards to the staff, I found them pefectly polite bar one. The chap in question was very blunt and could barely raise a smile. Still, we all have our off days. The rest of the staff were great, including the night porter as the reception is manned 24/7. The breakfast was excellent. Plenty of food available, all hot and the restaurant was perfectly clean.

You can also use the Marriot hotels leisure facilities free of charge, which is located just across the road. Such facilities include a gorgeous swimming pool, a well equipped gym and a sauna etc.

If your after a cheap yet well equipped hotel, this is the place to stay. A good all rounder.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kent
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I stayed here with my husband for one night and that was enough really.
To be fair to the hotel there were good points as well as bad.
Although there is a ramp at the front door, I could not see this hotel as being particularly disability friendly. The reception is at the top of a flight of stairs and the restaurant is at the bottom of another flight with no obvious access for wheelchair users or those with more than mild mobility problems. There do appear to be bedrooms on the ground floor and a lift to the bedrooms on the 1st floor and above but don't bank on it taking any more than 3 people, especially if anyone is on the large side.
The room we had (101) had definitely seen better days. We were not actually sure if they had started to refurbish it and ran out of money or it was waiting for them to begin as somethings looked fairly new but others could have done with being ripped out. For instance the curtains looked new but the nets were torn and dirty. The bed was not exactly in the first bloom of youth but once you got over the initial firmness of the mattress it was actually quite comfortable and we had a decent night's sleep. They obviously do not check if the lights works as one of the bedside lamps had blown. The bathroom had only a loo, sink and shower (no bath). These did look quite new but it was a real testament to being able to fit the most equipment into the least possible space. We could have done with a duvet instead of the very thin blankets and there was a very peculiar smell in the room which only disappeared if you kept the window open.
To be fair, the room did have everything it was advertised as having including a hairdryer and, if you wanted it, wi-fi.

On the plus side, the hotel is close to the town, has it's own car park both front and back . They seem to keep the public areas clean. When we got there, someone was mopping up some sort of spillage at the front of the reception area and the bar and restaurant were clean. The staff cleaned up very quickly in both areas. There were no dirty glasses or plates lying around. And apart from the net curtains and the strange smell, our room was clean.
The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The barman, however, took things a bit too far by offering a slice of lemon with a whisky. The breakfast was, while not a staggering choice, plentiful and well cooked, although the toaster was a law unto itself. There was plenty of tea and coffee. We could have eaten them out of house and home and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Our overall feelings on this hotel was that it simply needs a bit of TLC. Once they finish decorating, it could be quite a nice hotel. Not sure if I would stay there again but on the whole the plusses outweighed the minuses. Would I recommend it to a friend? Possibly, but the buttons do not allow you to put that.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night in May 2009. The thing that attracted me to it was the low price - £30 for a single with breakfast included. The hotel is up a hill but that wasn't a major problem, as I only had a carry-on trolley due to my brief stay. My room was on the 3rd floor if I remember correctly, which was also ok as there was a lift, but the lift was very small, it definitely wouldn't have fit more than just myself if my luggage had been any bigger.
Anyway the real problem was during the night I spent here. I woke up at about 4am with itching on my arms, my belly and any part that wasn't covered by my pyjamas. I could only conclude that the hotel had BED BUGS.
When I checked out in the morning and showed the bites to the receptionist - my arms had swollen and become bright red - she showed no sympathy. She didn't offer me a refund, nor to call a doctor, and unfortunately once I got home, I wasn't even able to write a letter of complaint as my GP would have charged £10 just to write me a letter to confirm I had insect bites all over my body.
Bear in mind, I have no known allergies that may have caused this - it was definitely a reaction to something in the bed. Therefore I would stay away, you never know if this problem affects all the rooms or if I was just particularly unlucky.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank crazeball

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Merseyside
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Hotel in an ideal spot for easy access to Bournemouth centre, my wife and I found the staff very, very pleasant, especially Lorenzo and Gabriel, nothing was to much trouble for either of them, the food was excellent, with the breakfast hot, and a good selection, the two evenings entertainment was quite good, the hotel was also vey warm which was to my wife's liking.

The only down side was the hotel could do with a makeover, but overall, for what we paid it was excellent vaue for money, and our coach driver Craig, was without doubt superb was

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Marbella Maid
Reviewed January 12, 2010

The owner's husband watched as my friend and I struggled up the front steps with our bags. My room was shabby and smelt unpleasantly of having not been aired for weeks. The sheets were ancient, the pillows were old, flat and stained – luckily I had brought my own. The room became unbearably hot in the evening and I couldn’t open the window more than a couple of inches. The wall between the rooms was cardboard thin. At around 3 a.m. when I still couldn’t sleep, I went down to the reception area to see if I could borrow a fan but there was nobody there. I passed a hellish night and when I told the charmless owner I was leaving she threatened to charge me for the whole weekend. I reported everything to the AA but it seems no improvements have been made. A perfect candidte for The Hotel Inspector.

Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mushkablue
Surrey
Reviewed October 27, 2009

When we checked in we could not believe that there was a christmas tree and all the trimmings up in October but this was due to a coach load arriving for their early christmas celebration week. We were even more surprised to have christmas carols playing while we were eating our breakfast......and not a reindeer in sight! But joking apart santa could pay this place a visit and replace the net curtains in our room, which were black, the stained bed linen and the continuious drip drip drip of the toilet cystern which you could even here with the door shut when you were trying to sleep. The staff were very pleasant, breakfast very good if not a bit confusing on the first day and i have never had to do my own toast. No lift available to the lower ground floor where you have to go for breakfast/dinner, one lady had to be lifted in her chair all the way up the stairs. Ideally located for the town centre.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank val1960cats
London
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Staff trained at the 'computer says no' school of customer service. Dirty rooms. Thin walls. Comedy scolding/freezing water in the shower. Matresses and fold-up beds stored in fire-escapes. 1970's decor, retro beds (velour headboards!) and swirly carpets. Midget-sized ironing boards screwed to the wall in hallways. Congealed food. Don't even stay here if someone else is paying. This place represents everything that's bad about dilapidated seaside hotels. Still, looking at the other reviews, the staff are at least internet-savvy....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business