“Very friendly and excellent staff”

Marsham Court Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just got back from a 5 night stay at Days Hotel. Although the hotel is knocking on a bit and a bit tired in places, we had a great stay. Our room was rather small but thats what we paid for as it was on offer on the internet but everything was very clean, and being the hottest week of the year our room was uncomfortably hot and we didnt sleep to well, we only had two small windows we could open. I must confess that was my mistake for not asking for a fan to go in our room until the last night ( was'nt aware they had any to use ) But all in all we had a great time, the staff are very good at what they do, espescially Andy thompson and Graham, the guest service managers.Always friendly and helpful, couldnt do enough for you, even though some of the guests can be very awkward and rude. Next time we will pay for a better room. Well worth a stay,was a great holiday and will go back, didnt eat in the resturant but the breakfast was ok and was plenty of it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a bigger room, ours was a small double that looked out over the carpark. Go for th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosie_Wallace, General Manager at Marsham Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Dear Jem 1970,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Bournemouth.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Andy & Graeme are exceptional at what they do and are a huge asset to my team, along with all the staff. I always say you can train people to do a job, but not to have a personality and here at the hotel the guests appreciate the friendly but professional staff atmosphere.
We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Rosie Wallace, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is our, my wife and I, second stay at this hotel. It was a dance holiday organised by our dance teachers. As usual our stay was very good. Our room was clean, tidy and comfortable and the shower room had gallons - showing my age - of hot water and clean fluffy towels. The reception area, bar and lounge, recently refurbished, are clean and modern and the staff are attentive and helpful.
Breakfast, a self service buffet, was first class, fruit, cereals, toast and 'full English' I took my coffee from a machine and it was very good - I am a bit fussy over coffee, but no complaints here! Bar snacks were very good and the service over all was excellent. The evening meal comprised starter, soup, main course and sweet. Coffee and tea were set out in the ballroom. A bit of criticism here, the starter was 'OK', the soup was very good. I thought the main course was a little disappointing, the meat tended to be overcooked and dry. The sweet was supermarket quality - nothing wrong with that but not 'special'.
Had I stayed for bed & breakfast I would give 10/10 5star rating, but for me, the dinner just let it down a little. Would I stay again? Yes! Would I recomend this hotel? Yes!
The 'waiting' staff were mainly East European, they were excellent and spoke very good English. I would like to give 4.5 green blobs! I look forward to our next dance holiday at the Days Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Barry U,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Bournemouth.
I am sorry that you felt dinner was not up to our usual high standards, but can assure you we make all our own desserts from scrath, we do not buy in shop brought items. If at any point you are not satisfied with your meal, please see the Manager on duty at the time and they will be happy to change it for you.
We hope to be able to welcome you and your dance group back next year.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have been to the Marsham Court a couple of times and this was our first visit as a Days Hotel. We were there as part of a 4 night dance break run by Dance Mavericks. The hotel has had the whole reception/bar area refurbished and although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, we liked it. It was also nice and cool, which was great as it was so hot outside.

Check in was simple enough (although they did confuse me with someone else despite me saying my name twice). The room we had was very nice with a balcony and seaview. The beds were comfy and the only negative comment was the heated towel rail being on, which only added to the hot conditions!

The evening meals were well presented and were well cooked. The highlight was the lamb which was lovely. Unfortunately, the service although friendly was particularly slow on a couple of occasions. I imagine having 65 plus people all sitting down together would be challenging, but this would have been no surprise?

Breakfast was also adequate, although my wife's poached egg did not look appetising and she chose not to eat it. We were both surprised that it was allowed to leave the kitchen looking as it did. We had Helen on one of the mornings and she looked after us brilliantly. On our last morning we asked the male waiter for white toast. He returned with brown toast and when we told him the toast was brown he said that it wasn't and the toast was just thick sliced. He was a really sweet lad, but he struggled on many occasions. The orange juice also tasted very watery.

The great weather meant we could use the outdoor swimming pool which was a real bonus. The pool was very clean and did not smell too much of chlorine. The temperature was perfect on such hot days. Chairs were in short supply, but I suppose this was to be expected.

The ballroom is a lovely room which overlooks the pool and sea. The air conditioning was very welcome for the dance sessions.

On the whole the staff were very friendly and helpful and a good dance break was had.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Holibobslover,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Bournemouth.
You were so lucky with the weather last week, the best we have had all year so far. I do hope it continues.
We hope to be able to welcome you and the Dance Mavericks back next year.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I spent a very pleasant few hours at this hotel enjoying Afternoon Champagne Tea overlooking the sea in Bournemouth.
We were able to park at the front ( more parking further round) and despite being an older building were pleased to find a cool - it was a very hot day - modern interior.
The staff were friendly and welcoming , offering us a table on the terrace or in the lounge.
We opted for a comfortable sofa by the large floor to ceiling windows.
There was a choice of sandwiches available all made to order and the scones and shortbread were homemade and delicious and the tea was just how we like it!
The addition of fresh salad and crisps to the sandwich platter was welcome and the strawberries garnish to the cake plate was lovely.
A very pleasant way to spend a lazy afternoon!

1  Thank Clare M

Dear weymof,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Bournemouth.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and I did appreciate the telephone call. We are very luck yo have some of the best views in Bournemouth from our Terrace and Bar area and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again for a nice relaxing lazy afternoon.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We held our wedding celebration at Days Hotel and from our initial enquiry to the day itself, we were very pleased with the service provided.
Events manager Gemma was friendly and approachable throughout the planning and she really does help you to achieve your idea of a perfect day.
We had a fabulous time, as did our guests judging from their positive comments to us. The staff were attentive without being intrusive, everything was served as, when and how it should have been and the food was delicious.
We spent two nights in one of the balcony rooms and found it to be clean, nicely decorated, comfortable and, of course, we had stunning views across Bournemouth Bay. The bathroom was a decent size with a large shower which had good water pressure.
Breakfast is buffet style with enough variation to cater for most taste buds. The cooked was frequently replenished, the croissants were warm and soft and the coffee from a self serve machine was delicious.
To sum up: Our overall experience with Days Hotel has been excellent and, more important to us, our guests thought so too. We would not hesitate to recommend the hotel as an ideal place to hold an event and we would certainly stay in a balcony room again.
Thanks to all staff from reception through to kitchen who contributed to our special day.

1  Thank Stormdancer10
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear DorsetAmandajane,
CONGRATULATIONS!
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are so glad that you enjoyed your wedding celebrations here with us at the Days Hotel Bournemouth.
Gemma is our dedicated wedding co-ordinator and always does her best to strive in making your day as is should be. We are glad that yourfamily and friends were able to enjoy it with you.
We look forward to welcoming you next year on your 1st anniversary.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I gather this hotel was previously the Marsham Court and has been purchased by the Days chain. The hotel is right on the sea front on the Promenade, and easy to find by car. The main town is in easy walking distance. There is plenty of free parking out the back.

While the main downstairs area is fine the place is generally in need of redecoration and renovation. The corridors in particular look like they've been battered by centuries of suitcases. Prices are reasonable; we got a sea view and balcony for a supplement, although the balcony is just a strip out the front so there's little privacy. A screen between rooms would be a good idea. The room was quiet and comfortable with a good bed, and WiFi worked just fine.

We ate in the hotel; the food was fine, with a curious three courses (starter of Dorset pate, leek soup, duck in plum sauce) that were perfectly adequate, and obviously aimed at their main market, the older person who knew what they wanted. The wine list was fine and reasonably priced. We had a drink in the bar, which was very airy and comfortable. We slept well and had a good breakfast. My only quibble about the fried breakfast was that I wish they'd given it more local character. Checkout was fast and efficient. All the staff were courteous and helpful.

All in all I enjoyed this hotel and would stay there again. It isn't the best hotel I've ever stayed in, but for the price it hits the spot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Homelovinguy
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Homelovinguy,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that the "Days chain" have not brought the hotel. We are still run and owned by the same family who have been at the hotel for nearly 25 years, we have simply franchised which gives us more of an opportunity to market the hotel worldwide.
We have recently spent £2 million pounds on the hotel so far as part of our refurbishment programme, which includes our foyer, bar, reception and some of our ground floor conference rooms. All our bedrooms & bathrooms and even the corridors. This is an ongoing programme and we still have areas we need to refurbish while trying to keep the refurbished areas looking smart. As I am sure you can appreciate we cannot do everything all at once.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

On returning to Bournemouth we decided to stay again at the Maaarsham Court as we had been there in 2004 and 2005 and found it congenial to location and parking facilities .However this hotel is now in the " Days " chain and Marsham Court name no longers flies above the hotel; roof .
First thing that strikes you is the unfortunate logo of Days .In my opinion it`s downright tacky and I think a graphic artist student could come up with better .Next thing that strikes you is the magnificent flower baskets that used to be there are gone .The baskets that now are on show might have been decorated by myself where the old Marsham ones were done by an artist .Still unperturbed entering the new foyer i find it very light and airy .Floor is now tastfully laminated and rception desk is now in the 21st century .The furnishings also are tastefully done .A nice change and so far I`m impressed .I then check in and go to find my room on 3rd floor .That being 307 and instead of a heavy key i have a modern magnetic card .I go towards lift and notice the old one still there ,.that being the one which challeges the Guiness Book of records as being the smallest in the world .Then though I notice to the left a newer one of normal size also installed which right away is good news .On entering room I find it re furbished .It now is very tidy ,good size and nice bathroom with shower .Shower is good size .in fact you could get 3 people in quite easily .The mind boggles !There is also a 32 inch Samsung wide screen t/v and a good sized safe to keep your valuables .It took a large DSLR camera and charger and jewelery no bother .
Dinner first night of my 4 night stay is not impressive .Main course was roast beef which was poor in the least .Starter was fine but soup was of a packet taste ..Hot sweet was awful .Breakfast next morning was also poor .It is of a buffet style .It also in the past was the same but my preference is for table service .The cooked brekkie consisted of an inedible tomato ,a suasuge that tasted better than it looked and bacon that if you like it crispy best to give it a body swerve .Orange juice is from a dispenser called the juice bar ,It`s orange must be made up with 90% water and 10 % orange .It did taste like water .never orange .Also I like my toast and marmalade .Marmalade here comes in a sachet and is truly dreadful .This rules out the toast .The nice white tablecloth which you get here is also spoiled by a NAFFI style mug .That mug should be a nice cup and saucer to comliment the tablecloth ...
So with that in mind I`m not looking forward to next night`s dinner .Surprise surprise to my delight meal was very good as it was for next 3 nights ,I don`t know if chef changed but you couldn`t really fault the meals in any way .Also I changed my tactics for brekkie.Out goes the toast to be replaced by a nice couple of mini Danish pastries a smaller cooked breakfast and juice omitted .So I find in fact by spreading out the variety of the fare you can in fact get it decent .It does show how reports can differ if you did say stay one night instead of more .
The bar has also been changed .What is not is the beer quality.My biggest gripe though even if beer is poor you can change it by presentation . Lager is served in a old style beer glass even asking for a Peroni I get it dispensed in a seventies style tumbler that you`d put your false teeth in or put a laxative in.Really if you pay £7 for two pints of lager it`s not on .
So to sumerise I did find hotel in many ways better than the old Marsham .Car parking .rooms ,sevice meals are fine.Breakfast could be better .To improve small things I`d change to make things better are ....................throw away the breakfast mug .replace with cup and saucer ,change the marmalade ,make the quantity of orange in the juice bar taste like orange not water and present the lager in decent glasses preferably of makers type .Barman did tell me that Days policy was not to do this but they are very misgiuded .I wouldn`t spoil the ship for a happence worth of tar .
All in all decent value for what you pay .............believe me there is very much worse .

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are best .Our room was 307 and was decent size .
2  Thank blackfive
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear blackfive,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
In regards to some of your comments about the food, we cannot please everyone 100% of the time and appreciate that everyone will have different tastes. The roast beef is one of our most popular dishes and I am sorry that you did not enjoy it.
We have spent about £2 million on the hotels refurbishment in the last 2 years and as we are a small family run business we do not have endless pocket fulls of money to buy everything all at once, even though I would like to.
In regards to the bar, we are not allowed to use branded glasses, which would be provided free from our suppliers; however glasses for beer will have to wait as I feel it is more important to finish redecoration the areas that need to be addressed.
We hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.