“Fantastic spa weekend and gorgeous hotel”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic spa weekend and gorgeous hotel”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

A friend and I went for a girly weekend in Bournemouth in February and had a brilliant time. The Royal Bath is an excellent hotel and a perfect location for getting in and around Bournemouth - we have already booked a weekend for the summer as it is a stones throw from the beach.

We also treated ourselves to a day in the spa and it was perfect. I often go to spa's in London where I live and the Royal Bath was really fantastic and we were treated so well. I was so relaxed afterwards I wasn't quite ready to head back to London!

The food and the staff were also brilliant and we always got a smile from the staff which is exactly what you want and I would recommend the lamb in the evening - really yummy.

Can't wait for our trip back in July!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
RoyalBath, General Manager at Royal Bath Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2011
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you and your friends had such a relxing time away form London and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
Europe
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed the weekend with my wife, in one of the suites, for which we had a discount voucher.
Reception: efficient, friendly, no complaints.
Room itself: Clean, spacious, excellent, although the floors creak alarmingly. Not enough hangers, but that's a universal hotel problem. Overall a little spartan; does nobody do minibars anymore? This room had a bare fridge - not so much as a shelf in it - but (according to the hotel) it is just a cooler for guests' use. It obviously used to be a minibar, but maybe they got sick of people not paying for the drinks they took. No worries; it kept a bottle of shop-bought bubbly cool enough for 24 hours.
Spa / pool: According to my wife, very nice pool indeed. You do need to book well ahead if you want spa treatment (massage etc) though - no chance of a spot if you just turn up. I guess that means it's popular and good.
Breakfast: excellent, large buffet choice. Coffee is the filter kind.
Dinner: This was the only real disappointment. Not with the food - that was actually very good indeed, and there is a really interesting wine list, with unusual choices (Austrian white wine? Yes, and we liked it). No, the problem was with the service. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy, but waiters were slow and inefficient - we received our starters before any drinks were delivered at all, coffee before dessert (and don't bother asking for espresso: they can't make it). There didn't seem to be any particular waiter assigned to our table (or anyone else's); we were asked three times by different waiters if we were ready to order! The food almost, but not quite, made up for it. I should have scratched the 'optional' 10% service charge from the bill, but I didn't. It's not really the waiters' fault; there just didn't seem to be any management at all.
But that's the only real complaint. Apart from the creaky floorboards, it is really quiet. For example there was a big black-tie function going on, on the other night we stayed, in the ballroom on the floor below our room: we didn't hear a thing. And other staff (the extremely helpful concierge in particular) were excellent.
All in all: a fine, old-fashioned, traditional luxury hotel, but probably on the expensive side if you don't have a discount voucher. Well located for the beach, yet secluded, and within walking distance of the town centre, museum, theatres, cinemas, etc.
Recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for making time to leave your feedback on here it really is useflu to have a well rouned review with postive comments and honest points baout your dining experience, I am sincerely sorry for the inefficient service you experienced and I can assure that this has been investigated and weekly mystery audits are now in place to counter the challenges of this slow service so thank you for informing us of this. I am so pleased that the other teams in the hotel delivered so highly for you, really pleased you had such a lovely stay and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Guantanamo, Cuba
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have felt obliged to write this review the day after attending a very expensive evening function at this hotel,my partner and i have stayed in hotels all over the world and sampled the good the bad and the ugly.I have also spent part of my working life around famous hoteliers while they are going through the process of purchasing and setting up hotels and then putting in management systems to make them run properly.
Can i start on the one positive... i thought the function room was very impressive.
I dont wish to re run old ground in this review but reading through old postings there is a constant theme of bad managment no oversight shabby decor etc etc the management then replies to the posting as though it is a one off blip and doesn't normally happen and will pass the points on to the relevant team.
can i just say the impression i got was that there was no management oversite ,a few students from the college appear to have been employed that evening given the keys to the hotel and told to get on with it.One had to wait for ever for any service at the bar... none of the drinks were served cold as the fridges in all the bars were either turned off or not working,nobody seemed able to re connect the beer pumps which had promptly run out.
The service for the meal was something else... when it finally arrived it came in dribs and drabs, vegetarians getting their meal and then 20 minutes later some of the other meals arrived. some diners on my table got fed up and went out to get a meal as they couldnt wait any longer (when they did come out it had obviously been sitting somewhere for quite a while as it was starting to congeal ) It was as if the staff were so overwhelmed they completely gave up on the rest of the meal and i noticed as people were leaving a few waiters suddenly discovered the deserts and started to wander into the room with a few of them. i have never seeen a service like it in all my life.We went to find refuge in the main bar,when we arrived there i saw a lot of customers lining up to get served... yet no staff,about twenty minutes later a barman arrived but yet again none of the pumps worked and all the fridged drinks were warm,i was losing the will to live so i went to the reception and asked to speak to the manager. the guy on the desk looked at the clock and said '11.45pm that means i'm the manager' i went on to point out why i had been totaly underwhelmed,he then said he wasnt really the manager and couldnt do anything but was just in charge as nobody else was about. he asked me if i wanted to leave my details which i did, and told me a proper manager would be in touch.
Subsequent to this i have spoken to other friends who live in the area and tell of equally shabby experiences at this hotel so the reputation is obviously well established .I'm sure the managment will yet again be surprised and speak to the departments only to have the same themes returning in the reviews as it will require a much more root and branch approach than the hotel appears to be willing to impliment.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Expensive parking - £20, not £15 as advertised. Staffon reception too laid back and didn't give me confidence in service. Room good. Decor would have been good in it's day, but still fine. Large bathroom and bed. Very noisy though, lots traffic noise and constant sound of lift saying "doors opening, doors closing!" (room 231). Really annoyed about pool policy, and didn't know until we took our 3 year old down for swim at 9am. No kids allowed until 10-11am!!!! No one in pool yet we were still asked to go away. You can't do that to a 3 year old and check out is at 11am. Told them we were going in and would leave of course if any members complained. They didn't. Terrible policy and have never experienced such nonsense before. Put a downer on an otherwise fine stay.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Zoflo1
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to learn that our Reception team did not fill you with confidence, this is really not indicative of their usual polite and welcoming demeanor, I have spoken to them in particular to the date that you were staying with us, unfortuantely I apologise that whilst our website and booking confirmation states that the parking is £20, I apologise that there must have been an incorrect guest directory in you room.
Our pool policy is to ensure that all of our guests whether they have children or not can use the factilities with comfort and I am sorry to learn that our team did not communicate this to you appropriately and I do hope that this would not bear a hold on you returning to stay with us. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your comments.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

First time in this hotel in Bournemouth which we picked up as a 2 day deal. Good views from room, very comfortable bed, plenty of space in bathroom. Refurbishment overdue with chipped bedside tables but clean. Good choice of meals from set menu and well presented although service a little slow. Breakfast room has much better views into garden than the dining room which overlooks road but I suppose that doesn't matter in February. Tables in dining room a little regimented down the middle leading to a fellow guest suggesting it as reminiscent of wagamamas so try and get a table round the edge. Spa could have done with a couple more loungers as one broken out of 5 and as could be expected the others never occupied but "reserved" with a towel. All in all a really enjoyable break and the staff want to be helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us, we are having new loungers in the spa areas, your comments have been taken on board. I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay and that our new menus were well received.We hope you decide to stay at the Royal Bath again.
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My wife and I had a great deal which included a sea view room, bottle of wine upon arrival and a 2 course meal. The hotel is in a great location, with a garden path that leads to the beach and 2 minutes from the pier.
The bar and restaurant had a relaxing and intimate atmosphere which was fantastic. During the meal,they did not have the bottle of wine we required so gave us a better one for the same price
Our room was clean and smart, I was disappointment that the double bed was just 2 singles put together. However it was comfortable and we slept well.
The staff were very helpful and in my opinion gave the best level of service I have experienced in any hotel.

We were thoroughly pleased with our stay, particularly as we got a very good deal. However, based on standard prices with a small number of drinks and valet parking this would have cost c. £500 for a 1 night stay. One final note is to check your bill upon checkout as ours was out by almost £40

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your postive comments about my team here and the level of service they offered you during your stay. We have a fantastic team here that have real passion to learn and deliver high levels of customer service and it is really useful and morale boosting for them to hear the feedback from our guests so thank you for taking the time to feed back to us about your experience, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed with my husband as his birthday treat. The package (room, dinner and breakfast) was cheap and our expectations were low. We paid to upgrade to a sea view room and, because of his birthday, we were upgraded again to a suite. The suite came with separate sitting room with two sofas. It was spacious and pristine clean. Everything that came after that lived up to our first impressions and contributed to the best short break that we have ever had in the UK. The staff were young, professional (obviously well trained) and SMILING. The table d'hote dinner had several good choices and it was excellent. We also had high tea that was great value for money and came with freshly baked scones.

The location of the hotel is on a cliff top close to the pier. The sun shone and that contributed to a walk and a bit of healthy exercise. Overall, my husband was delighted and it was a birthday break to remember. Well done everybody at the Royal Bath

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
I am delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your husbands birthday and that you had such a wonderful stay, it really is a pleasure to hear that our team contributed to your best short break in the UK ever...a real compliment, thank you. I have passed your comments back to the team and we really do hope that you come back to stay again even if not to mark a special occassion but just to relax and be looked after by our team here.