“Nice hotel... Shame about our first room!”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Arrived at 2.15 and room wasn't ready, which was a little disappointing, so we went for a nice stroll along the beach/ pier to while away some time. Came back about 3.15 and room was allocated room 169, have to say was really disappointed, the room had stains above the left hand side of the bed on the wallpaper,overall looked tired and in need of a complete re decoration, sea view, well to be honest if you could see out of the windows would have been fine, but sadly it didn't look like the had been cleaned for quite some time, that and a mixture of condensation, you couldn't open the windows either as they had appeared to be bolted. We asked for our room to be changed and we were given room 164 , which was far nicer.. Clean spacious and comfortable, although again way too hot, I appreciate you can't please everyone, but it was way too hot. The staff were very friendly, we had some lunch in the bar area, thought 2.50 for a fruit juice was a little costly however the food was delicious.. Overall, probably wouldn't return, unless I knew it had been refurbished although I wouldn't say it was the worst hotel either not bad for the price I guess.. Which was £67 per night, wit breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room 164 it's a suite and has plenty of room and has the benefit of a sea view if the wi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,953)

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now. First time we enjoyed our stay, great staff, nice room, pool facilities & breakfast, although we felt dissapointed that the jacuzzi was not working. Which cannot be helped, but is still annoying when paying the use of all facilities! Stayed the second time round with my wife and her parents. Had a great time and the jacuzzi was working this time luckily which was great. Food was brilliant as well as everything else!
I then booked two nights over this weekend for my pregnant wife's birthday and have been dissapointed. The jacuzzi was not working again and wasn't going to be fixed until the day we were to check out. Gutted. Went to use the steam room and there was no steam and it completely stank! told the girl on the desk & she said, ok im not a steam room expert so ill go and find someone to sort it. think it would of been just a case of activating the steam surely? & she works in the spa? seriously. Shame for my wife because I thought that she could have at least had the luxury of the jacuzzi and pool as she could not use the sauna & steam room due to her pregnancy. I complained and said that I have paid for a facility that we cannot use for two days, the lady at reception couldn't understand what I was saying and asked the manager to speak with me. Spoke to the manager and all he did was tell me how the hotel have spent £1000 to fix the jacuzzi, at which is not of my concern, didn't offer any form if compensation and just said sorry. I went back to my room and was not happy with the outcome, rang reception, explained how we were feeling and get this! Had to ask if they could compensate for paying for a facility that we couldn't use! The lady then just responded 'ummm' ill get my manager to ring u back. Half an hour later he rang back, I explained about how we were feeling and was offered dinner on the house for that evening. Too damn right I say. £20 a night for parking, steep:\

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bryndaykin
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I totally agree with reviews for Christmas 2012. This was our first Christmas together and chose this hotel as it looked special but were very disappointed. Food was appalling. On Christmas eve we queued for half and hour for our evening meal which was bearly edible . Christmas lunch was even worse . A buffet which again was awful only vegetables were a mixture of carrots parsnips and swede swimming in oil along with potatoes again swimming in oil. Dessert for both days were miserable . Looked like pears in red juice along with plates of nuts and some indescribable desserts. Ran out of custard and cream. Tables not cleared any unused glasses and cutlery were left for the next guest and not replaced. Not enough staff and did not understand what we were complaining about. Room ok but need refurbishment. Would not stay there again until I knew there was a vast improvement. Plus £20 per night for car park!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Honeybee45
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I try to be as honest as i can and i always see things from both sides but this was a complete disaster. I booked 2 rooms at the royal bath on the 3rd january for my daughters 25th birthday. Her and a friend in one room and myself and my sister in another. We were satisfied with the rooms and as we were in high spirits we overlooked the dated furniture and proceded to get ready for the spa as the whole point of the stay was to have a spa day. We thought we would spend maybe 4 hours in there relaxing and then go out for a meal. I begrudge paying £1.00 to have a towel on arrival as this is not an added extra its essential.We got told that the jacuzzi wasnt working at the moment as they had put too much chlorine in and some one would test it and we could use it later. this never happened, we asked them twice and we got the same answer we had when we walked in. We got changed. Well here is what we found. No soap, No shower gell. No shampoo. No conditioner. No toilet paper and that was just in the ladies. We entered the pool and i fell in as the hand rail wobbled so much. The water was blimmin cold. So we thought we would sit in the baby pool, brrrrr that was cold too. We decided to go to the steam room. Oh my goodness what a smell. We sat there until the smell became unbearable. It apparently wasnt even on. We went into the sauna and the seat at the back was so clse to the ceiling light my sister burnt herself on it as it was very hot. The man sat in the sauna heard us complaining and proceeded to tell us how he had been a member there for 8 yrs and that after today he was cancelling his membership. He told us that the spa hadnt worked every time he had come in over the last 6 weeks and they keep fobbing him off with the same story we had about the jaccuzi. He once gain had asked the young lad in there to clean the steam room as it was absolutely filthy. He said he watched him go in and rub a couple of seats and within 2 mins he came back out.( oh he must have really scrubbed it) he was asked 6 weeks ago to fill the shampoo conditioner in the changing rooms too but everytime he was there they were empty, so the same as the day we came, coincidence, i think not. So to have a spa day we had a 5 min swim in the pool and a 5 min sauna. Hardly the relaxing girlie spa day we had in mind. We left by 3.30!!!!!!!!!! Well i have been to the chewton glen spa, the de vere hotel spa, the bmth hallmark hotel spa, the elfordly hotel spa to name a few but NEVER EVER have i been to one that i have only spent 20 mins in. Come on guys. A pool and a saunda does not warrant spa facilities. Epic fail..... Please if you read this take note.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Here's yet another NEGATIVE review for THE ROYAL BATH HOTEL!!! We stayed here for what we expected to be a really lovely break & were horrified!!! We got no sleep being at the front of the hotel, overlooking the roundabout, had to have window open as room was like a sauna!!! We had been told a room overlooking the garden, at the side of hotel would be available on arrival & wasn't!!! There was a queue for xmas eve buffet that can only be likened to being at an all-inclusive in Benidorm!!! We didn't get our table wine order on xmas day until the end of our very basic xmas meal for which we were charged £95 per adult & the cheek to charge £45 for a 4 yr old!!!! We requested our wine several times during the meal, [we'd ordered it at breakfast!!!] & still they couldn't get that right. No wonder they daren't offer table service!!! I could go on & on but that will be in a letter of official complaint to Britannia INNS!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed between Xmas & New Year 2012 - booked a suite on Hotel.com , yet told the web-site & Hotel did not use same terminolgy so had to settle for something less. Was a nice room But... My main issues were in the actual catering and staff management area. Staff badly trained and for the most part were miserable and there were not enough (waited 20 mins for a cup of coffee in bar as so many people and only one server) . Catering Manager / Executive Chef should be ashamed of the food product they offer!! Cold , tasteless .... The New ownership have done NOTHING to enhance what was once the Best Hotel in Bournemouth - VERY sad!!

Room Tip: Insist on Royal Wing - only once recently renovated. Don't eat there !!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank NG55
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I can only advise not to stay here. We booked a suite for our family of 4 for the 3 night new years package. We stayed for an hour, then got a refund and went home. Half of that time was queuing to book in, with one person on reception for a fully booked hotel.

The lobby and lounge looked stunning, very plush and beautifully decorated, but the we got to our suite (the meyrick suite).

The room was not as the website or the booking agent described, and booking the suite as something a bit special should be reviewed by the trades description act!

We were told the childrens beds would be in with our bed, leaving the apparantly light and airy lounge free to relax on sofas. When we walked in however, the lounge had the childrens beds in it, with no seating whatsoever. The duty manager said none of the rooms in the hotel could accomodate this set up, so misinformed from the start. One of the childrens beds (for 5 and 7 year old boys) was positioned directly under a low sash window which could be easily opened by them and they opened all the way up. We were on the 3rd floor! The window in the bedroom did not close, leaving a 1 inch gap that gradually creeped open to 7 or 8 inches.

The room was dirty, with empty chocolate boxes under the kids bed, and some white sticky substance on the carpet. The door for the bathroom did not reach the floor and when the 5 year old closed it, his foot got caught under it, leaving a nasty cut and bruising.

The decor was tired and dated, holes in the furniture, poor repairs in the bathroom and you had to pump the flush handle on the toilet several times to get it to work.

The manager didnt show his face until we left, leaving the duty manager to take the flack from complaining guests. The duty manager really didnt understand our complaints and we struggled to get a refund, until we phoned central reservations, who were very helpful.

The manager, when he finally appeared gave no apologies and made no effort to resolve our complaints, but did say that if we wanted to stay in the future he would offer us a discount. Clearly that will not be happening.

Reading the reviews on here, we got a lucky escape. If your thinking of booking here, i would advise you don't and consider the reviews on here a warning for your lucky escape.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Grab your bags and run away! I would rather stay at the local youth hostel wher...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family