“Romantic birthday meal”

The Crab at Bournemouth
Reserve with OpenTable
The Crab at Bournemouth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 743 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Located directly opposite the BIC and a short walk to Bournemouth's sandy beach makes The Crab a perfect destination for a relaxing lunch or early dinner before a show.Why not try fish and chips 'The Crab way' with our 'Posh Fish & Chips' or just enjoy the local oysters and a glass of fizz.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Romantic birthday meal”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was treating my partner to a late birthday meal. I used TopTable to book the table which by the way is a great way of reserving table online, We got wet through just getting there and Susie had to go into the Ladies to dry her hair!
But all 3 courses + the "amuse bouches" were brilliant. The wine was smooth and set the eveni ng off really well. We shared the mussels to start with and had 1 dessert and 2 spoons which was fine apart from being a bit delayed as the waiter had forgotten us. But then they added a bit extra for the wait.
The main courses were lovely: posh fish and chips for me and half lobster thermidor for Susie, The lobster was gone in 4 bites so if you are looking for a hearty meal then don't choose that one!
It was a bit weird being served by 4 differnet people through the evening and doesn't help build a rapport with the serving staff.
All in all a lovely, slightly expensive night out in Bournemouth.

• Visited April 2013
Ovi N, Manager at The Crab at Bournemouth, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review regarding your resent visit to the Crab at Bournemouth. The whole team and my self where very happy to see that you enjoyed your 'Romantic birthday meal', and we hope it was a special evening for you both. I have taken on board your comment regarding having four members off staff serving you and it is something we are looking into so we can provide a more personal service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you again for leaving your comment.

“Barely adequate food and rushed impersonal service.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Expected an experience in line with its two AA Rosettes, however we were disappointed to be rushed through three courses in 60 minutes in a half full restaurant on a Wednesday. We were served by four different members of staff, 3 of whom gave us different views of the contents of the fisherman's platter. The platter was okay, but after being stuffed full we asked for a break and were told this was not possible, so had our mains 5 minutes later. Not great food either. The salad with my tuna was a brick of feta and too many sun dried tomatoes and the gnocchi very heavy. My wife's cod was tasteless and her niscoise salad had far too much potato. No one took ownership for our experience being a good one, despite paying £80 for the privilege. We left as quickly as we could and no one noticed. Sadly I wouldn't recommend the crab.

• Visited April 2013
“Perfect location shame about the food”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We were on a mini break and found The Crab. Wonderful location with a view of the sea. The service was fantastic and we were quickly served drinks and a tasty pre starter. I explained that I could not eat wheat or dairy and asked for a starter with adjustments. The chef happily agreed. However when it came it was covered in bread. I unfortunately ate some and was then sick during the night. We then went on to have a seafood platter which was disappointing as the oysters came uncooked and it was cold. Also we asked for a portion of chips which cost three pounds and came with only six in the bowl. Also during the night my husband violently threw up so something he had eaten was off. Such a disappointing evening as we had very high expectations

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Lmsimonds
Flookburgh, null, United Kingdom
“Portions very small”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was reasonably but anyone can cook a small bit of salmon and heat up some cous cous and I did feel that the price was a little hefty for what i got

Visited March 2013
I am very disappointed to hear you were not fully satisfied and didn't receive what you felt was good value for money. Here at the Crab Restaurant we try our best to give substantial portions and the best quality of food for honest prices. We do value our guests opinions and try to measure our portion sizes accordingly, so I can assure you that your issues raised will be addressed.

Hear at the Crab we value all off our customers feedback, positive and negative and would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Couldn't fault anything”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A Tuesday night in Bournemouth, and my wife & I decided to visit the Crab after reading the glowing revues on Tripadvisor.

Friendly staff, very pleasant decor & surroundings and the food and wine were excellent.

Would highly recommend this place, and I for 1 will definitely will be going back when I am in Bournemouth again in October.

1 Thank JodyTownsend
Thank you so much for your great review and with a great title, 'Couldn't fault anything' .Was good to see that you visited us hear at the Crab due to other reviews that you have seen on Tripadvisor and enjoyed your evening as much as they did. We look forward to welcoming you back in October when you visit Bournemouth once again.