“only put average for a few reasons... here I go...”
Review of La Piccola Italia

La Piccola Italia
Ranked #24 of 764 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This family run restaurant is celebrating 33 years this year. La Piccola Italia is a traditional Italian restaurant serving fabulous stonebaked pizzas, fresh pasta dishes and an array of a la carte options.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“only put average for a few reasons... here I go...”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My two girls of 11 and 15 and myself decided to dine here for my 15 year old's birthday. I have dined here 3 times previously in the last couple of years so I saw it as a SAFE place to eat.
I am unsure if I had neglected to remember a few details or if things had slightly changed in recent months so I will mention most details that I can think of!
We arrived and were lead to a table. we had a choice of two different ones and we picked one close to the window.
We were left to seat ourselves and swiftly a waiter arrived to take our order for drinks. We ordered our drinks and there were two packs of bread sticks on the table. We were offered no complimentary bread and butter or rolls and we next ordered our meals. My younger daughter had MARGERITTA with extra garlic, My other daughter had Lasagne and I had penne picola - the signature dish ( vegetarian) There were no side dishes so I ordered veg and my daughers had chips each. The veg came in a small dish and was swimmng in water.
Again no bread and butter or equivalent. As it turned out the dishes were rather nice. Not massive portions but not tiny either. About average. Decent taste to them and sort of what you would expect really. We had pudding next. It took a while to arrive and I was pretty horrified when my sticky toffee pudding turned up stone cold. I am unsure how this came about,but to be fair they did replace it quite quickly it was just a bit off putting. My daugher's puddngs were okay they said. No probs. The bill came to the aprox price you would expect really and the service was fair. Only thing I noticed was they seemed rather thin on staff...
Now I am about to give you a couple of reasons why I didn't mark as very good ( other than what I have already said!!)
The restaurant is in need of a make over. The table cloths were stained and the exterior needed some attention too...But most worryingly I will highlight the Pinnacle of my worries...
Half way through the meal the children needed to toilet and so we went up the stairs to the bathroom. Just out side the bath room there were two flats obviously occupied by two families and in rather poor a state. You could here them shouting from inside the flat quite loudly for some reason. Then you entered the bath room. Both the toilet doors did not lock. The bath room was in dire need of decoration and sanitation and one of the taps was broken clean off! I am not the kind of person to slate people for cleanliness and I am not a picky kind of a person but it was really quite worrying. My opinion? Fair food, earnest service, but need a full clean up of premises!!

• Visited August 2013

• Polish first
rotherham
“fantastic”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

the best italian we have ever been too, excellent service, food amazing - prices good-£77 for 3 of us- 2 courses, wine,cocktails, coffees and amerettos . atmosphere great

Visited June 2013
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere but not too impressed with the food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited for lunch on a Saturday. It was a welcome respite from the torrential rain. We were welcomed and service was good.

We both had pizzas which were not the best but OK. Just a bit dry. We arrived quite close to the end of lunch service and all the waiters had left by the time were finishing, leaving, I guess the owner. But there was no pressure to leave.

An OK experience.

Visited May 2013
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Not all that”
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We came on a week day, the restaraunt was very quite, I must say the service was good but that's about it. I had mussels to start and there was only a small portion and no bread offered for the sauce. The hubby had cold meats starter straight out of the packet. For main I had ribeye steak this is the first time I've ever had a tough ribeye, I didn't think it was possible!!!!!! Also you had to pay extra for sauce???
Not well cooked and small portions, wouldn't return

• Visited May 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Nice food at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Took my elderly mother here for lunch. She usually complains about everything but she loved it and can't wait to go again. Very reasonably priced

• Visited May 2013