“What a dump”
Review of Mayfield Hotel

Mayfield Hotel
Ranked #96 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel we had to pick the key up from another hotel no welcome all they where interested in was money and a deposit for the key. We found our own way to our room on the way i nearly twisted my ankle on a missing floorboard . The room was the poorest decorated room i have ever seen the bed was propped up with big chunks of wood dirty splash marks up the walls. The bathroom was disgusting, toilet seat would not stay up and someone's old soap still in the shower it looked like the furniture come from a junk shop we could not use the seats provided because they where to low and broken. Breakfast in the morning was not much better the food was cheap plenty of it but the dinning room was so small we had to wait 25 to 30 minutes 3 days in a row to sit. On leaving no one asked if our stay was nice no thank you poor customer service this hotel is a dump only good point the man that served breakfast was very pleasant he deserves a medal.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Paul j
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thankyou (cough cough) for your review about our budget 2 star accommodation that we totally reject. We are very sorry that our standards of cleanliness and levels of customer service do not meet your expectations.

If you are not happy with the level of cleanliness or if things are broken then you have a statutory obligation as a paying guest in a public building to speak to the duty manager when you checked in and give us an opportunity to correct any small mistakes we may have accidentally made. This is commonly called human nature, courtesy and respect. Staying 4 days and then publishing a complaint on tripadvisor for the world to see and know that you apparently nearly, but did not, twist your ankle walking up the stairs does not help you, it does not in any way whatsoever help other guests (past, present or future).

Please, if you dont like waiting a few minutes or expect our staff to bow before you whenever you walk past then please please dig deeper into your wallet next time, pay the extra cost (which incidentally would almost certainly be double the price during airshow week in August when you stayed), and book a 3 star classified place which has the kind of quality that would include the sort of posh furniture and false smiles that you have clearly grown accustomed to.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at The Mayfield and I was very happy with all aspects of my stay. The room was clean and well presented and although the room wouldn't win prizes for the decor it was more than adequate for our needs. The en- suite was fine, and the shower was good, the bed was very comfortable and the bedding and towels were good. My son even commented how nice the room smelled when we arrived at our room! There was a fridge in the room, a very welcomed surprise, ideal for milk, etc . The breakfast was freshly prepared and the man who prepares and serves breakfast is a really lovely guy, made us feel very welcome and at home. Overall a very pleasant stay and I would rebook if in Bournemouth again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Gill D
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I travelled with two others for a night out in Bournemouth. I was pleasantly surprised how good the location was, we could walk to the station in a short time and had a slow stroll down to the beach and town in the day, although got a taxi back after a night out and it cost around £7/8.

We had to check in first at a hotel around the corner called Ingledene. The chap there wasn’t the most welcoming and seemed very unenthusiastic and didn’t really say anything, but never mind, we were able to check in early so could get out early! We left a £20 deposit for the key and walked around the corner to the Mayfield. Can’t complain about the room for what we were looking for, it was big enough for three, very old fashioned but we didn’t care, it was clean enough. It had a fridge to keep our wine cool so we were happy! We didn’t wake up for breakfast, got in too late.

Overall, this was a cheap stay in a good location and I would consider staying again for this type of stay. However, I didn’t really feel safe. I never saw anyone that I thought was staff ‘manning’ this B&B – there was no phone in the room if we had a problem – no contact details for the guy we checked in with at the other hotel….I can’t remember the last time I stayed at a B&B though, maybe this is just how they work. It was very impersonal, and I thought the B&B owners would be more hospitable. They didn’t even ask the next day if everything was ok. I don’t want to say anything too bad though it looks as if they get very defensive with any reviews rather than addressing any issues raised.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clare-pea
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thankyou for your review and I hasten to add that your comments are greatly appreciated. We would like to kindly comment on this review in a general way so as to help guests who are thinking about staying at Mayfield in the future and will know before they arrive what kinds of service level to expect. Please also be assured that guests can raise whatever issue they like and that all issues do get resolved if we think they are appropriate for the style of accommodation we offer.

We currently provide cheap 2 star accommodation for over 5000 people staying in the hotel every year and over 99.9999% of people thank us profusely for the service we offer when they check out. Only the odd .000001% of people with a particular Psycho-social profile who see it fit to do a post mortem about the hotel on tripadviser and like to raise issues for the whole world to see. Please trust us when we tell you that we are inspected by at least 20 different professional people in many different ways. There is little wrong with what we do when you consider our prices. We are simple, clean value for money accommodation. Here are some key points about what you can expect at Mayfield:

Expect cleanliness, Expect it to be cheap and simple and good value for money, Expect the rooms to be simple and basic. Expect staff to be courteous and to the point but on the other hand do not expect them to stop for a 30 minute chit chat! Do not expect anybody to be particularly "hospitable" because value for money accommodation providers dont pay staff to do this. Dont be surprised If you have to leave a small cash refundable deposit and have to walk 50 meters to the sister hotel Ingledene to get a key. Dont expect a telephone in the room. In 2013 guests now use either their mobile or free broadband provided by the Mayfield hotel to communciate to anyone all over the world inlcuding staff at Mayfield. If you want to pay megabucks to stay in a posh hotel just because it has an old-fashioned out-dated hardwired telephone go right ahead and waste your wallet. Do not expect the hotel reception to pass messages on. This is done via your own mobile phone nowadays. We do not live in the year 1950. Do not expect someone to be paid to sit by the front door and smile at each guest or open the door as they come in and out of the building. This may be expected in 3 or 4 or 5 star hotels but not with a 2 star guest house.Do not expect the hotel to offer any chargeable services and that any service you do get is done out of goodwill and courtesy by the owners. Free services offered by Mayfield include (a) free tourist information (b) free wifi (c) free parking (d) allowing guests to bring alcohol, food and beverages on the premises without charging (e) free directions around the town (f) Calling for a taxi free of charge (g) clean bedding, toilet paper, free towels, soap and shampoo in all rooms (h) allowing guests to eat takeaway meals in the rooms free of charge. A lot of hotels may elect to charge for these kinds of services. We dont, and as such, we totally reject the suggestion we are not being hospitable. We argue that we are indeed very hospitable for the style of "do-it-yourself" budget accommodation being offered. If on the other hand, you are in good health and still want your cases carried up the stairs then please dont book Mayfield.

Finally we reject the suggestion that both Ingeldene and Mayfield are not "properly manned". In the Summer months all our staff get up at 6a.m. and work tirelessly in the hotel all day until they go to bed at 11p.m. and its simply not true that we are not there to help. Indeed the hotel is monitored 24 hours a day via cctv, the telephone will always be answered, so also are the doorbells. And if you have a problem you can do one of four things (a) press the Mayfield staff flat bell located on the ground floor (b) if noone answers press the Mayfield front door bell that will dial reception at Ingeldene (c) if that fails dial the hotel phone number from your mobile (d) if that fails call 999.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

What a great little place. I stayed here for over one month and was impressed with the overall value and convenience of the Mayfield Hotel. I would stay here again. The manager was very accomodating when I arrived, any issues were resolved in a reasonable amount of time. The decor is definately unforgettable! Keep in mind that this is a BUDGET accomodation, providing shelter, heat, washing facilities, and a place to lay your head at night; not a five-star luxury hotel. Bring ear-plugs if you are staying over the week-end. Some clients like to party in the hotel, and Bournemouth is a bit of a party-town, so this will happen no matter which hotel you stay in.

Room Tip: I stayed in room #1. It has a queen-sized bed, a 3 piece bathroom, desk, 3 chairs, and small refrige...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank islegreen
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked for two nights,first night kept awake by live in staff.room was comfortable,but not enough tea and coffee left in the room.Bathroom light switch was faulty had to pull it two or three times to get it to work.The location was a bit remote,situated between, boscombe and bournemouth.ok if you have a car,if not quite a long walk either way.the decor was very dated.having to collect key from the other hotel was quite strange,thankfully not raining.lastly,the step on the inner door needs attention,tripped over it and badly bruised my foot,however i am not going to make an issue of it,but somebody else might.did not see staff for the two days we stayed.Will not recommend this and will not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marley51
Reviewed October 17, 2012

What a bargain this place is, while the mismatching decor is a little odd our room was clean and fresh with everything you could want, we paid £26 for the room and I would definitely stay here again. :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leevanclief
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I booked the Mayfield Hotel for five nights B&B. I left my wife and our luggage (we came by train) outside Mayfield while I got the key. When paying the £20 deposit at the desk I felt uncomfortable as there were about eight youths just lounging about on the seats as I got out my wallet and card (to be vetted by manager) before handing over the one key which worked both the front door and the bedroom. Upon returning to the Mayfield we let ourselves into a rather dimly lit hallway. Not having been here before we had to find our room ourselves, no meet and greet! After climbing up the 37 stairs to our room (N0 6) complete with luggage we got the kettle on. There was only a view of the back yards, and flats from our steamed up double glazed windows, which didn't really matter as we would be out and about. After our train journey of several hours my wife went for a shower. Two problems:- 1. the hotel seems to suffer from a lack of water pressure and so the shower was poor. Recommend a power pump (as the Amarillo next door but one has had fitted). 2. the floor of the shower cubicle was quite slippery. A mat could prevent problems. I also discovered that the toilet seat was moving and found a nut and bolt on the floor. This I reported on our way out after ringing a bell for attention downstairs. A young foreign lad answered and said he would have to tell the manager. To his credit upon our return we found the toilet seat fixed. Our major problem was the four poster bed. It had a mattress of about 6 or 7 inches deep upon which we could feel the springs inside. This was on wooden slats and was most uncomfortable. I did mention this to the manager upon our departure and he said it really needed replacing as it was army surplus! On the bed was a rather old looking duvet that didn't seem to fit inside the cover. There was good wardrobe space, and supply of tea and coffee. The small fridge in the room was handy as well. We went down for breakfast the next morning at 0810 and felt a bit lost. The tables didn't have room numbers on them so it was first come first served. Tea, coffee etc was in an alcove and it was serve yourself, with the butter and yogurts in the fridge when we found them. Either a young foreign girl or lad took our breakfast order and served it freshly cooked. However the tomato was always hard and undercooked, the rest was ok. The toast every day was pale and limp, nowhere near toasted (saving on electricity maybe). Fresh fruit was provided and once you had sorted yourself out and got familiar with everything it was ok. What we felt it needed was someone who could look after the visitors and put them at their ease. This was missing throughout our stay of five nights.

It was interesting to note that on the hotel cards by the front door it said and I quote "Bournemouth HOSTEL" Ingledene House & Mayfield Hotel. If my wife and I had known at the time of booking that we were booking into a hostel we would not have made the booking. I checked the website and it does not mention that it is a hostel, nor was it mentioned in the confirmation. Maybe this is the reason that you are left to find your own way about. I know that the Mayfield is only 2 star but a bit of care and attention to detail would make it much more friendly.

I have read other comments about Mayfield on Trip Advisor and the replies from the manager. I have written as find as I do for all my visits to hotel reviews. I wouldn't say that it was particulary cheap, more on a similar price range to other establishments on Frances Road, and I dont go with the eco bit on saving energy. A dim hall and stairway is not very welcoming! I look forward to any replies.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 41HighPeak
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We consider this review as wholly unacceptable, considering the price paid (£55/night including breakfast) versus the standard of accommodation booked (2 star budget) .

So lets deal with this one by one.....

1. "The matress in room 6". Noone has ever complained about this matress before. 150 couples per season cant all be wrong about this matress. What often happens in this kind of situation is that you change the matress to a softer one and someone then complains its too soft. You change it for a harder matress and then someone complains its too hard. and so on..... We have another interesting story about room 6 which I now want to share with other readers. We have an elderly couple that visits Mayfield at least twice every year and is well aware that both Ingledene and Mayfield have a choice of 22 rooms. However, they have fallen in love with room 6 at Mayfield. Yep, and for the last three years will not book any other room. Its a shame that this reviewer and this couple cant speak to one another. Perhaps if tripadvisor was more user friendly and positive about budget accommodation then this may one day happen. We are keeping our fingers crossed for some more balanced reading in the future.

2."The lighting". As mentioned before. We only use energy saving because we are austere people and prefer to reduce our carbon footprint rather than use wastefull lighting techniques that this guest is accustomed to.

3. "The water pressure". You could expect specialised pumps for each room in a 4 star classification and expect to pay at least 3 times what you paid at the more spartan Mayfield experience

4. "Making someone feel comfortable". Its not appropriate to have some kind of porter or room attendant specifically there trying "to make someone feel comfortable" who may also carry bags to the room or show you where the light switch is or how to switch the telly on. Employing somebody wh,o is not available at a prearranged time, but at a random time of a guests choosing, would cost us between £25,000 and £50,000 a year and would drive us out of business within 6 weeks. This is the kind of service you normally expect only at a 5 star hotel such as the Ritz in London.

5. "Foreign". When you stay in a hotel, by the very nature of the activity, you can expect all guests and staff to be "foreign" to one another since as a guest you are travelling from a destination that is not "home". And as such its offensive to refer to our staff as foreign as though there was something wrong with this. Of course the staff are going to be foreign. Thats what hotels do: welcome strangers. Its also discriminatory and racist to refer to Europeans as a foreign in this country. The Eurpoean staff we employ have as much right to be here as we do and in no sense are foreign anymore. This is what it means to be apart of the European Union.

6. "tomato too hard and undercooked". Why eat it? Why publish such a comment on tripadvisor? Send it back and ask it to be cooked more! Thats what we pay our staff to do for you.

7. "Uncomfortable around young people". if you book budget 2 star then you can expect it to be full of people from the younger generation. If you feel intimidated by young people then youd be well advised to dig deeper into your wallet and book a 3 or 4 star hotel which have less young people staying there.

8. "37 steps". If senior citizens dont like so many stairs then they'd be well advised to book a three star hotel with a lift.

I think this is enough to set the record straight and makes our 2 star position crystal clear.