“Great find...”

The Green House
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing find this hotel was. Situated in the town centre we're weren't hoping for too much, but this place absolutely exceeded expectations. The staff and level of service were fabulous - Any questions were always met with a smile. Rooms are well decorated, clean and modern. The house restaurant is the hidden gem - beautiful looking and tasting food..and the cheese board...wow! Oh i forgot to mention the freshly baked scones for cream tea.. :)
There's loads to do in the area and a trip to Swanage is recommended. Hoping to find time to return one day soon...

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Holiday_dek

Reviewed November 30, 2013

we had a standard double which was adequate in size, ensuite good. room and bathroom very clean. food (breakfast and dinner) was excellent quality and portion sizes reasonable too. staff very helpful and informative. close to the town center although the hill back from town maybe a struggle for some...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for two nights recently for the wedding of two good friends.

The hotel is set in a leafy lane a few minutes' walk from the town centre and sea front. There is ample parking space and the reception was warm and friendly.

Our room (all the rooms are named after trees- ours was Silver Birch) was warmly decorated, with ample storage space and a magnificent bathroom. The walk-in shower was gorgeous, while the Victorian roll-top bath was deep and comfortable.

Room service was swift and the food of a high standard, as was the case at the wedding breakfast. The bar and restaurant were both comfortable and well designed; service was also very good at both venues.

We will definitely return next year, once the weather improves and we have more time to explore the town. Everything was a bit rushed on account of the wedding, but the next time we visit Bournemouth we will certainly make The Green House our base.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I applaud the owners for their design and style of the hotel. They try to adhere to Eco friendly standards and all the rooms are named after different trees which I found to be a nice touch. The rooms are well appointed and the ceilings are enormous; even in the single standard rooms.

The bathroom had a beautiful glass shower and the toiletries were came from Temple Spa.

I paid 99 pounds for the evening (including breakfast) and found it to be good value.

I ate in their fine dining restaurant as well. I found the dishes to be pleasant but short of tasty. Their warm rice pudding however is sublime.

Parking is free as is internet but the wifi coverage is extremely poor in certain areas. Staff did try to help me with the problem by providing Ethernet cables but I didn't much have luck with that either.

I would return to the hotel if I was passing through the region.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Travel_Critic999
Reviewed November 26, 2013

A lovely hotel in a superb central location, a short walk to the town centre and main attractions. The staff were kind, welcoming and friendly and the room was beautiful although a little small for a longer stay.
the food was delicious and at quality standard.

We would highly recommend this hotel and would love a return visit.
after staying in some so called quality hotels in Bournemouth, this one knocks them for six, just wish we had found it earlier.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here on a rare weekend without the children. The food was very good and I'd recommend eating at the hotel. The location is about a 2-3 minute walk from the cliffs and about 15-20 minute stroll into the town.

We paid extra for a Master room - and it was nice. It had a bath in the bedroom which I always find a little odd but it was very spacious. The public rooms felt cold (they weren't physically cold, just didn't feel cosy) and, by virtue of having G&T (once) on two nights I drank them out of two types of gin, which was slightly unusual!

I liked that all water was tap water, filtered and then bottled. Whilst this was part of their green credentials, to me it meant that there was always free bottled water, which I liked. The staff were excellent too.

I've only given it 4 rather than 5 because of the non-homely feel about it. However, don't let me put you off! The food was truly great and it is a nice hotel. Just not quite worth a 5!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Firstly, I have waited about a week before publishing this as I wanted to see if the feedback I left at the hotel reception would be acted upon - sadly it seems it has not been as I have not been contacted and I expressed that I wished to be.

I have stayed at The Green House probably 4-5 times prior to this, the location is great, staff are very helpful and the decor is very well finished - there is no arguing that the whole place does have a nice atmosphere/feeling about it. But the place does have a huge problem with sound proofing.

However, last time I stayed at this hotel I was woken at around 03:30 by someone blowing their nose in bed in the room behind mine, I kid you not the walls between the rooms are that thin. After this the person in the room next door decided to make themselves a cup of coffee, after opening the wardrobe to remove the kettle and plug it in it actually sounded like it was in my room - because the walls are so thin. This seemed to have a knock on effect, as now the people upstairs had been woken and were walking around their room, flushing toilets etc, nothing unreasonable if the rooms were adequately sound proofed...which unfortunately they are not. To top it off my room was right next to the staircase, Bay, and every time someone walked up or down the stairs it resonated around my room.

Paying over £150 for a room, where you get woken up in the early hours by people doing normal actions (certainly not anything that could be considered unreasonable) is not acceptable. It is all very well having flash bathrooms and fancy decor, but if the hotel doesn't do what it says on the tin - i.e actually permit you to get a decent nights sleep - then it is money down the drain as far as I'm concerned. I challenge any of the managers or owners to stay in that room - Bay - and get a reasonable nights sleep, before it is suggested I'm not a particularly light sleeper either!

I'd rather stay at a Travellodge next time and whilst it won't be a 'listed building' - which seems to be the excuse that was given by reception - the bathroom won't be as flash... I'm sure I'll get a better nights sleep. It is a shame as I've just bought a property in Westbourne and will be in Bournemouth at least once if not twice a week for the next few months, but sadly after the last experience I will not be staying at The Green House.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business