“Excellent boutique hotel in Bournemouth”
Review of The Green House

The Green House
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Why stay in a corporate hotel chain when you can stay here in a hotel with it's own personality. Each room has its own character having been defined from the existing rooms in what looks like a big old house.There may be issues with sound proofing due from the doors and hallways but most guests are considerate to think of other staying guests. Other touches are the homemade biscuits and free water. The inhouse restaurant really is exceptional - try the tasting menu if you can. The only other downside is the breakfast - great variety but the cooked breakfast is really disappointing when you consider the quality of the food served during the day.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked this hotel because it was very clean and modern looking but with a little character. The hotel is really nice, very modern, incredibly clean and appealing. When you approach the hotel, it looks like it has loads of character, but once in side its a little bit lacking in soul.

The staff are nice and friendly, the dining room staff at breakfast time look run off their feet with only 10 or so tables to serve, the breakfast was okay but nothing to write home about.

The rooms need some serious sound proofing! We could hear our next door neighbours perfectly clearly. The TV's are volume restricted, but this doesn't stop the guests being heard very clearly - if I listened carefully I could follow our neighbours entire conversation.
Otherwise the beds are like a cloud - so comfortable and soft you never want to get out of them!
There is tea and coffee in the room along with some nicew freshly baked biscuits.

Overall the hotel is very nice, if the rooms were a bit quieter we would have loved it.

2  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is very nice, everything is nicely finished and of high quality, staff are very nice and friendly and they are constantly asking if you are ok or if you are enjoying your meal / stay
The location is great just a short walk to the beach. It's very close ton centre as well. The down side is the dinner menu as there are not too many choices on the menu. However we had the beef and it was very nice but we felt that the restaurant was overpriced for what it actually was. If they wish to charge a higher rate we don't mind d just that they need to do some work in this direction and worth paying a little bit extra than the regular restaurants.
Overall we had an excellent stay at this hotel and we'd love to come back and we'd certainly recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: we stayed in the grey willow on the 1st floor and we loved it
Reviewed September 28, 2012

First impression was good, as the hotel is spotlessly clean.

The roll top bath right by the window in the room was a bit unexpected, as it was right by the bed, and on a plinth, so I kept kicking into the wooden plinth.

The sheets were extremely clean and comfortable, as was the bed itself.

I did feel it was rather impractical when the small jars of coffee, tea and sugar, required smaller than usual spoons to access the contents of the jar, but when the same spoon was placed into the mug, it fell short and was impossible to stir the drink.

In order to get milk, one had to go into the corridor and obtain milk from a fridge outside, which was a bit inconvenient, and you couldn't keep any excess milk in the room, it was just wasted as it became warm.

There was a large bowl of apples on the table in the corridor when we arrived on the Friday, which was soon emptied, although there were only three rooms in our section, and the apples weren't replenished after that, so we didn't have one although they were intended for us.

There was little table-top room for tea making facilities, and the TV or i-Pod had to be unplugged and the kettle placed on the top with other electrical items, which wasn't very practical. There appeared to be no other power points in the room.

The towels in the wet room were ragged.

The bathroom was lovely, or should I say wet room. Again spotlessly clean.

Overall, the hotel was very clean and the staff efficient. The food was excellent although rather expensive for the size of the meals.

It is situation in a convenient area, and I would go there again.

1  Thank SatisfiedHampshireUK
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I booked this very late on the day of staying with perhaps 5 hours notice and was very pleased to end up with a great room (Horse Chestnut I think) which was well-appointed and had a free standing bath at the end of the bed. Great decor and bathroom as well.

The staff were friendly and efficient, dinner was first rate and the room amenities were also excellent. All round - a really good stay and I would recommend it to anyone.

I got the room and dinner for £260, which if I allow £75 for dinner for two (which it justified) then the room was £185 which would have to be called "very reasonable".

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
oosullivan, Manager at The Green House, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at The Green House! I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back! We have some fantastic new exciting packages and offers which include fabulous food and wines, luxury accommodation and interesting local activities, or for a more relaxing stay, some holistic treatments with our local highly qualified therapist.
Please contact me directly and I will make sure you have an equally super stay with us next time.
Best regards, Elizabeth 01202498900

Reviewed September 25, 2012

There is no mention that the roll tops and the large shower are within the bedroom rather than enclosed in a bathroom so rather an unwelcome shock when first went into the room. As roll tops take a huge amount of water I believe this is against the ethos of the hotel.
Staff were friendly. Food was fabulous but service in the evening was slow and the wooden floor noisy. Furthermore no chance of a lie-in as the chambermaids were very noisy in the morning.
We had a problem with the sound of our TV and were told that it could not be fixed and that we could change rooms in the morning at 11.00. We packed our luggage and waited until 11.00 the following morning only to be told that the TV had been fixed while we had breakfast. Would have been better to be told before we packed up.
Deco very well maintained, very clean everywhere but towels need replacing.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like the roll top restored Victorian baths in the room, some people love them and some people don’t! We do try to describe our rooms as clearly as possible along with photos of our rooms and baths so that guests are aware of the set up. Perhaps you would kindly contact me at the hotel and let me know where you saw us online so that we can amend the description and photos so as not to mislead guests. I can imagine it was a shock to you so would like to prevent that happening again! I agree that the water consumption in a bath is excessive in comparison to a shower, however, many guests love a good soak once in a while and it is nice to be able to offer this luxury in our beautiful baths, with water heated by our solar panels. At the same time we are very conscious about our water consumption and have aerators fitted to every single tap and shower head in the hotel, this actually offers a higher pressure flow that regular fittings and uses far less water!
We do have a setting on our televisions to keep the volume low to prevent disturbing neighboring guests. The reception team tried very hard to come up with a solution and did inform you as soon as they found a solution, I am sorry it was after you had already packed your bags. I hope you had an enjoyable evening after all.
I have communicated your complaint to the housekeeping team, they do try to keep as quiet as possible, and we do kindly request that all guests behave considerately to fellow hotel guests.
It is lovely to hear that the staff were friendly and the food fabulous, I am so pleased you enjoyed this part of your stay. We are currently redesigning the restaurant as we all feel that the wooden floors are, like you say, just too noisy!
Once again, thank you very much for your stay and review and we hope to welcome you back to The Green House in the future!
Best regards, Elizabeth

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Its a shame I feel really let down. Some bits excellent some other quite poor.

Welcome by reception. Excellent really nice and friendly.

Decor and room overall in the hotel superb and spotless.

The 'two' biscuits Chef had freshly baked and left in a cookie jar by the bed was a nice touch... Perhaps a couple more would have made this gesture look a little less half-hearted (cookie delicious all the same!)

I don't however like the woollen stuff everywhere especially the headrest on the bed it's itchy.

Also all the towels look old and tired and frayed.

Service in other areas pretty poor too.

Bar. Returning to the hotel at around midnight, the residents bar had a smattering of people enjoying a drink. As we entered, the Barman walked past me and left as I walked up to the bar - i am sure he could see me. Then with nobody at the bar, after 15 minutes I had to go and find a member of staff ... I was told he had gone outside for a cigarette and would be back soon.

Breakfast. Equally slow and waited half hour and again. Had to 'push' for service.

But what tipped this hotel into a 'would not go back' though was the noise. The people in the next room were having some sort of party and as a result, I got about 3 hours of sleep. There is literally no soundproofing in the walls on the second floor. If I could have found another hotel at 3am I would have done so.

So basically paid £140 for no sleep at all and left in the morning so tired - not what you want from a hotel

Guys, if you are reading this - you need to bite the bullet, rip out the walls and put in some sound proofing because you can hear everything and I mean everything...

2  Thank Bairdies

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. It is a great disappointment to hear that you would not choose to return to The Green House. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were unable to sleep due to the noise of neighboring guests, I completely agree with you that this is not what you want for a hotel. We are investigating the possibilities for sound proofing, whilst it will not bring back your nights’ sleep – I am so grateful to you for raising the issue as we have now pushed this to the top of our priority list.
I must add that it is extremely rare that we have such noisy guests staying with us! This was a particularly unusual party, I know exactly which rooms you are talking about. The reception team finally managed to control the guests after some very stern words. Usually our guests are very thoughtful and considerate to others staying in the hotel and would never behave in such an uncivilized manner. We would certainly not be where we are today if even a small percentage of our guests shared the experience you did. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this and the other issues you have raised.
We have a relatively new food and beverage team, and are adjusting the team so that only staff who are completely committed to delivering our standards of hospitality and service remain with us. Your feedback is again very helpful in helping us make the changes we need to improve the overall guest experience.
On a positive note - thank you for your super feedback about our reception team. They work extremely hard to ensure every guest feels valued and are very happy to hear your comments. Sorry that you only could enjoy 2 of Chef’s freshly baked delicious biscuits, they are in high demand!!
For your information; our towels are organic fair trade cotton and we launder them in house to control the energy consumed and detergents used. We are now using our third generation of linen and unfortunately the previous generation had been resurrected in your room. We have removed any of the frayed linen from the laundry cycle.
We would be very happy to hear from you, so perhaps you would please contact me on 01202498900. Best regards, Elizabeth