“Wonderful afternoon tea”

Highcliff Grill
Ranked #241 of 805 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: A contemporary seafood grill on a breathtaking cliff top. Enjoy one of the two-time AA-Rosette restaurants in Bournemouth featuring fresh seafood, succulent steaks and all-time classics. Highcliff also offers a delicious Sunday lunch in Bournemouth.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Whilst staying in Bournemouth I told my husband I wanted to do afternoon tea but do it nicely! We found the perfect place. We couldn't fault anything , the food was excellent with a great choice of cakes and three different types of scones accompanied with jam, lemon curd and cream. All this was topped off by a glass of champagne. The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble , they even packed up our uneaten cakes to take away.
If you want to do afternoon tea this is the place!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

After previously experiencing a 1st class afternoon tea, we decided to try Sunday lunch. The menu bode well. Appetising and varied for our group.
Our waiter Jaques was attentive and friendly, offering us all a champagne cocktail on arrival (actually just Cava and Grenadine but a nice touch)
The starters turned out to be quite bland. My rocket leaves were undressed and the general feel was style over substance.
We then waited for 1 hour for our main courses, which were delayed apparently by a party of 120 having a buffet in the function room.
When the plates arrived we were told "be very very careful, the plates are hot"
Actually, only 1 plate was hot and the food on it was very cold. So cold infact that we sent them back.
They returned a few minutes later and yes, warmer but only just.
I also objected to the vegetables being plated up in advance rather than a dish being served for you to help yourself. In particluar, the red cabbage was overwhelming with star anise which tainted everything on the plate.
Everything smacked of being kept warm. The potatoes were like bullets, as was the yorkshire pudding. it would look great in a photo but impossible to eat.
We were all disappointed. On remarking about how hard everything was, the waiter replied that "we should have asked for a steak knife!"
I left almost a full plate, but no-one questioned why?
We skipped dessert, paid up and left.
On leaving we saw a carvery style set up at the end of the restaurant and wondered if that was used for the large group.
We are guessing that once 120 people had had their fill, someone went along with a plate and dished our meals up. It would explain so much.
Overall, I would stick to afternoon tea overlooking the sea and avoid paying £22.50 for a mediocre lunch when so many places in Bournemouth do it better.

1  Thank HampshireMonty
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I took my friend for afternoon tea for her birthday as part of a living social deal. I cannot fault it and nor could my friend. Excellent service and happy to make changes to cater for our little bit of fussiness. The food was excellent , nice helping of sandwiches 4 choices of cake, a panacotta and three different types of scone with lemon curd and jam and clotted cream. I cannot fault this afternoon tea. Only thing I would recommend is parking offsite as this was quite expensive. We will return again.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Booked for 18 of us to have afternoon tea and was really pleased with what we had. We were in a private room, table was beautifully laid out with loads of lovely food and we had a hot alcoholic drink and unlimited tea and coffee. We couldn't eat all the food so they packaged up the left over cakes for us to take in to work the next day. Lovely views too. I would definitely recommend it to other groups or individuals looking for a lovely location for a relaxing afternoon tea.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went there with the missus whilst visiting Bournemouth for the weekend. I had belly pork to start and 'er indoors had the salmon. Both were absolutely fantastic.

The mains...

I had plumped for the ribeye and the missus had the veal. Veal was lovely and most of the accompaniments to my steak were also good (a bone but no actually marrow as advertised). I had asked for my steak to be cooked medium due to the size of the cut.

This seemed a completely impossible request.

The steak came and I cut into it and it seemed a little under-done but no matter as I normally would have medium-rare. As I removed the edges, it was clear that it was effectively blue. I asked the waiter to have it cooked a little more (not replaced).

He came back stating the chef said it was cooked medium but they cooked it a little more anyway. Well what they had actually done was seared the edge and as I cut into it, it was exactly the same as before. I asked again for it to be cooked a little more. At this point they should have replaced it, or apologised, or not insulted my intelligence (and eyesight) saying it was medium and not raw! T

he waiter informed me before it was taken away that the chef claimed that if it was cooked anymore it would be well-done. I said I'll risk it, and lo and behold they'd just tried the same trick again. I ate what I could and quickly paid up and left.

No apologies than a derisory offer of a free coffee for ruining a dish that cost £25.50. If you don't how to cook an chuffing steak, you shouldn't be a chef. It wouldn't have been so bad had it not been for the patronising waiter suggesting that I don't know how a steak is cooked, a point he laboured on behalf of the chef four or five times.

No wonder it was dead when we went if they treat all paying customers like imbeciles.

1  Thank umbongo82