“Simply excellent,”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My first time at Hamilton Hall,plenty of parking space,
Hamilton Hall is situated 14 minutes walk from the sea front,in a quiet peaceful street away from the noise of town traffic.
I was greeted by John at the door and he made me a cup of tea whilst having a chat, then showed me to my room carrying my bag for me.First impressions go a long way and Hamilton Hall does not dissapoint, the heavenly smell of insence drifts through the hall to greet you and make you feel you are home.
Room 3 "Joy", is a spacious twin in brown and tan hues,nicely decorated warm and welcoming,with its own shower and basin cleverly installed as a walk-in room.
Didnt have to wait or mess around with the shower, the hot water was there strait away.and warm towels on the rail finished the job perfectly.
The beds are very comfortable, plenty of pillow choice,and cushions, i had lovely rays of sun streaming through the window on my arrival.
The rest of the hotel is of course maintained to a very high standard,with cosy sitting rooms, study area, meditation room, with relaxing music playing in the background and a well set out well decorated Dining room.
Residnets can join in with meditation work shops, and are encouraged to be themselves and feel at home.
John himself and his staff run this not for profit Hotel to a high standard and i got to meet "Missy" the resident dog who was no trouble at all.

I like the way Hamilton Hall is set out,there is a smoking area for those who do, outside,
the garden is tastefully set out with "nooks" for sitting and meditating,or just chilling with a beer.
The food is home cooked, hand prepared and very tasty,with a help yourself approach to breakfast for the hungry traveller.
Cerial, fruit,toast, fruit juice,yogherts,jams ect tea coffee,a miriad of fruit and specialist tea's to.
John is a very knowledgeable friendly person and nothing is too much trouble,he is a very expirienced person, well travelled and also has a professional approach to the day to day running of Hamilton Hall, it is an ideal place for indulgent "me" time and as such i felt very relaxed in the other guests presence.
would i return to Hamilton Hall, yes i would, very much so, in fact i wouldnt go anywhere else.
a huge thank you to John and his staff for making me so welcome. ,

Room Tip: all rooms are of a very high standard,
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank welsharcherterry2
There are newer reviews for Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Owner John claims that Hamilton Hall is a "Hotel with a soul" but its not....its that and SO much more !! From the moment you step through the front door and are welcomed by John you are made to feel at home.

John offered me a coffee, and took time out of his busy schedule to have a chat and get to know one another. He introduced me to Kevin (John's only member of staff) who is very chilled and a really nice guy, and to John's dog Missy ( so lovely that I wanted to take her home with me !!).

He then showed me to my room (room 4 -peace), which was a lovely large room with a double bed, sink and shower. The room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable with lots of pillows and cushions.

The bedrooms doesn't have any television or tea making facilities in them in order to encourage guests to socialise with each other rather then sit in their rooms by themselves (a good idea I think !) but there is a really cosy television lounge on the ground floor and you can help yourself day or night to a HUGE range of teas from breakfast tea to chi tea or green tea with lemon, and a few different types of coffee from the dinning room.

The downstairs of the hotel smells of heavenly incense, and there is a lovely large lounge with comfy sofas to sit on and a lovely little garden for the smokers and anyone who just wants to sit out there in the sun and chill.

At breakfast I was suprised at the large range of food on offer for the continental breakfast as well as tea, coffee and orange juice, and for a little extra money you can splash out and treat yourself to a full english breakfast. Dinner was absolutely delicious and the kind of food that I would expect in a good restaurant, and was very good value for money at £10 a head for a two course meal. I loved the fact that during meals everyone (including John and Kevin) all sat togther to eat, chat and laugh.

John and Kevin leave guests in peace during the day (you would almost not know they were there !) But are around if you want someone to chat to, or you can go for a walk with John and Missy in the afternoons if you want. After dinner John and Kevin socialise with guests if they want to, and John has lots of really interesting stories to tell (ask him about his time as a high class escort !)

If you want a standard bland hotel with no soul to it then this hotel is NOT for you, but if you want a hotel where you feel like you are in your own home, with great people and stimulating conversation then this IS the place for you. Hamilton Hall is a small oasis of peace in a hectic world.

John and Kevin (and Missy !) Thank you for a lovely three days, I can't wait to return again.

Hugs,

Alex

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank 35Alex
Reviewed January 29, 2013

just got back from a weekend away at hamilton hall.
john and kevin made me feel so welcome, as though we had known each other for years.
i booked a single room, but was upgraded a very very large plush double.
the room was warm and welcoming and very clean.
nothing was to much trouble at meal times and dinner at £10.00 for 2 courses was very good value for money.

Room Tip: all rooms are of the same high standard.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank shaun m
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thanks for this lovely review. As always, where we can, we will upgrade into a bigger and better room as this is something we would welcome and enjoy ourselves if and when travelling to strange hotels. Thank you for your kind words and I hope we shall see you here again - maybe in the summer, as Hamilton Hall is even more wonderful when the sun shines - and the small garden is a delight. Thanks again. Hugs.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Retreat and loved everything about it, the owner is a lovely guy as is his staff member, nice people and very welcoming.
I was made to feel like part of the family.

I will go back again and again.

Room Tip: Room 3 in which i was, is a lovely room, lots of space and very clean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank realguy1

Thanks for your review. Very nice of you and very thoughtful. We do offer our very best and have an amazing choice of events on our Diary of Events page - and this year we are introducing some exciting new events, so maybe you;'ll come to one of them... ha ha ... come and have a tattoo weekend... ha ha

Thanks again. Keep well and keep smiling.

John

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great hotel with superb rooms, but the owner can be aggressive and very self-opinionated. Local beach is dismal, most of the local shops seem to cater for non-British customers. Neighbourhood can be noisy at times. Bournemouth centre is quite a distance away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
67  Thank Donald D
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Some people are just never happy and find fault from the moment they walk in the door. Xenophobia is offensive to many and this customer seems to have had a problem with the multi cultural aspect of Bournemouth in general. Interesting that he found nothing nice about the hotel, the neighborhood, the locals and - ha ha - just about everything. Sad that he couldn't enjoy himself but then, that is more his own inner stuff than anything else.

With a hotel full of people having a laugh and enjoying some 'in depth' conversations at meal times, it really is up to the individual to find their own level - and we do not baby sit our guests. Some less informed people resent those with more knowledge and offer homophobic attitude because we are an out and proud gay venue, and some gay men do not always offer the best of themselves while complaining about everyone and everything else.

Shame, because had he had the temerity to mention his problems to me and not kept perfectly quiet until at home and in front of Trip Advisor on his computer, we might have offered him a few extra days for free.

Whatever, his comments will change nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I travel a lot around the world and have stayed in many different types of accomodation over the decades. I have to say that Hamilton Hall is a rare treat and probably unique in the world. It combines my love of staying in "family run" places, naturism, good conversation and the opportunity to meet new like-minded people and to develop myself spiritually. So far this is the only place in the world which has offered me all of this under one roof. The warm welcome made me feel like an old friend and I really felt like part of the family with John and his lovely helpers. I had booked to attend a workshop, which was excellent and really raised my spiritual awareness to deal with my own issues and those of other people. The owner, John, is an immensely interesting person with wide ranging knowledge, views which he can justify and life experiences which he is happy to share over the dining table and at workshops. He was really attentive to my needs, even going so far as to provide help with my dietary problem so that I could enjoy one of his delicious home made soups. The sense of community at Hamilton Hall is very strong and profound and I am sure has made many visitors leave feeling good about themselves and the world in which they live. Altogether I had such a rewarding weekend that the first thing I did on my return home was to book my next trip to Hamilton Hall !

The other staff are also very warmhearted and friendly and I ended up making cups of tea for them as often as they did for me ! I did this because I wanted to and not because of any lack of service offered. The hotel is located a short walk from Boscome Pier and the beach, and I also walked to and from Bournemouth town centre along quiet leafy streets. I had the opportunity to go with the gorgeous dog on a long Sunday afternoon walk and John delighted in showing me the local scenery.

To conclude: I highly recommend Hamilton Hall, but be warned - this is not the mundane experience you expect from an expensive hotel where you are imprisoned in your room and sat in front of the TV and eat at a table alone. It is a real community resource where the possibilities are literally unlimited !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pixel P
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

It is such a reward when someone 'gets it' - when they get the point of what Hamilton Hall is all about - and that is as a community hotel, not some boring mundane prison style hotel so easily found just about everywhere.
I have also stayed at tons of large and small venues and try to offer what I feel is missing in so many venues and the personal touch and the passion for sharing the spiritual journey with others - whatever that may be - has been - and continues even after being open for 12 years now - an amazing and wondrous experience.

Thank you for this wonderful review. It makes all the long hours and hard work worth while. See you again soon.
John

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Situated in a quiet area on the edge of town your world changes when the door is opened for your arrival. Rooms are well appointed, the en suite showers could be better but that's OK and the option to share has never felt more welcoming. The philosophy of the home is simple to relax, leave you troubles and, if you wish, your clothes behind and spend some time with like minded gays in a comfortable environment. The weekend course I did (which was a while ago now and longer ago than Trip Advisor allows me to choose) was a delight with lots of hands on experience and fun. Dining was fun and overall I left with a good feeling about the weekend so I would fully recommend. The owner has strong opinions and you would be advised to stay on the good side so don't be drawn into challenging a view. The one guy that did on the weekend left with a very different view to mine. But overall it's a great place. If you are looking for an opportunity to meet like minded gay guys who enjoy naturism then there are lots of alternatives available these days through meet up groups on the web and there are gay run naturist bed and breakfasts but Hamilton Hall is unique and wouldn't be the same anywhere else and run by anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo