“Delightful”
Review of Hamilton Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Hamilton Hall
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Situated in a quiet area on the edge of town your world changes when the door is opened for your arrival. Rooms are well appointed, the en suite showers could be better but that's OK and the option to share has never felt more welcoming. The philosophy of the home is simple to relax, leave you troubles and, if you wish, your clothes behind and spend some time with like minded gays in a comfortable environment. The weekend course I did (which was a while ago now and longer ago than Trip Advisor allows me to choose) was a delight with lots of hands on experience and fun. Dining was fun and overall I left with a good feeling about the weekend so I would fully recommend. The owner has strong opinions and you would be advised to stay on the good side so don't be drawn into challenging a view. The one guy that did on the weekend left with a very different view to mine. But overall it's a great place. If you are looking for an opportunity to meet like minded gay guys who enjoy naturism then there are lots of alternatives available these days through meet up groups on the web and there are gay run naturist bed and breakfasts but Hamilton Hall is unique and wouldn't be the same anywhere else and run by anyone else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank adx084

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you want to be a guest in a hotel, look elsewhere, if you want to feel like a friend invited into someones home then this is the place for you.

A truly unique place where you can relax and be yourself and escape the world outside.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and great value, especially for a single traveller sharing the dorm or a twin.

Don’t be put off by the idea of sharing with complete strangers, the friendly atmosphere makes you feel safe and secure and even if your in a room on your own you never feel like locking your door (very helpful as its clothing optional and hard to find somewhere to put a key).

For breakfast everybody sits around one large table with the owner John and his staff and apart from the friendly banter and conversation has a good selection of cereal, fruits, yogurts, toast, etc included in the price and with some nice simple cooked extras at a very reasonable price.

If you want dinner in the evening, you get an excellent home cooked meal worth far more than the modest costs, again served up round the one table with your hosts, and if the daily special is not to your liking there is a nice selection of alternatives and John is always very accommodating to dietary needs. Don’t be afraid to talk to him about it, his barks far worse than his bite.

The website is not the easiest of places to navigate, its easy to miss the information you want as you get distracted by the vast array of links to obscure and interesting articles, but everything you need to know is on there.

Hamilton Hall cant be to everybodys taste, nowhere can, don’t be put off, go with an open mind, expect something a little different from your standard bed and breakfast and you will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trev B
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at Hamilton Hall recently and had a lovely time as usual. Have stayed many times in the past and have met some great guys whilst there.
Excellent host & staff and immaculately clean.
You can order an evening meal which is all cooked to order, you can choose off of the menu or from the specials board, delicious !..
As HH is a clothing optional you can wander about or sunbathe as nature intended, a great way to meet new friends.
Overall a brilliant place !.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank herts_desire
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
It is always nice to see when what we offer here is appreciated and respected. Thank you for another great review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Several visits over last year. Always a warm welcome from John or one of his team. Hamilton Hall is exactly what it describes itself, a gay mans retreat. Very relaxing, clothing optional, friendly.

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank Uk_jamie73
Battambang, Cambodia
Reviewed February 18, 2012

i e mailed this property to ask info on prices as there rather confusing website was difficult to navigate. The reply i got was amazing,,,accusing me of needing to go to ""Specsavers"" that i was blond and over 80 ( how ageist, and discriminating). All i needed was a link to follow not a torrent of written abuse. It got to the stage where i had to block any more e mails from Hamilton Hall as there insulting and obnoxious manner was upsetting. Most credible establishments are happy to assist even if it is bothersome. Nice to see that the place must be so very busy that they don't need anymore NEW customers.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
87 Thank justjonnos
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
When someone writes through our web site asking for information on charges and they have completely overlooked clear and very visible links to the Tariff Page - which are right on the front of the Home Page without even having to scroll down:-

and then when someone goes to the Contact Us Page which has 4 flashing signs indicating the CHARGES & TARIFF PAGE - again, right at the top of the page, and less than an inch away from where you fill in your name and contact details :-

and when I crack a joke about how they missed so many clearly visible links to the Tariff Page ;- and then get a response that was not taking responsibility for making a simple mistake and they throw abuse at me - it is easy to complain here, but would be so much nicer if they just realised their mistake and laughed, as I stated to this customer when he started getting all upset.

I do not have the Tariff Page web address at my finger tips and I would have to go onto the web site and cut and paste the address - which really defeats the whole purpose of having a thorough and easy to follow web site if I am forced to do all the work.

WE are a NOT FOR PROFIT VENUE and have one paid cleaner and all other work is done by volunteers - and we do expect people to find out as much as they can from our web site and not make extra work for us. If this is too hard for people with special needs, then we are delighted to be of assistance if asked in a decent manner, and we share a laugh and make light of it. Sadly, some people have no sense of humour and respond accordingly.
Essex
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Well, What can I say about Hamilton Hall. As you enter the property you immediately feel at home and I can only liken it to coming home to your family at Christmas. I was a little worried before hand as I had never been to a 'Clothing Optional Retreat' for Gay and Bi Sexual men before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. The host John Bellamy and David made me feel very welcome from the moment I arrived and I was offered refreshments as soon as I walked in. John immediately took time out of his very busy day to chat with me and get to know me a little. John has a lovely warm and friendly character which put me at ease straight away and he is also a wealth of information on absolutely everything, an extremely interesting man whom I could have listened to all day. Anyway enough about John.

There are seven rooms at Hamilton Hall and I was in Room 2, Tranquility. This was quite apt as this is what I had come to Hamilton Hall for 'peace and tranquility' and time to think about my life, which I did manage to do and came away with a clearer idea of what I wanted to do with it. My room was spotlessly clean, thank you David, large and tastefully decorated. There was ample storage space and an ensuite shower, toilet and hand basin. Within each room there was an information booklet detailing all the rules of the house and meal times and lots of information about the surrounding area which is very useful to someone who has never been to Bournemouth before like me.

There are numerous communal areas throughout H.H to spend time with fellow guests or to watch tv or read books, all of which are very tastefully decorated, warm and comfortable. So much thought has been put into this retreat, and even some of John's character which is what I think makes it so welcoming and homely and not like your average hotel/b&b in that everything is uniformly decorated cold and branded. This place has real character, real warmth.

Meal times, well there was so much choice for breakfast I just didn't know where to start, there was an abundance of cereals, a large round tray of spreads, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, brioche, tea and coffee, juices and that was just the continental breakfast. Dinner time, a variety of different meals throughout my stay all of which were cooked to perfection and were very, very tasty. Dinner is the one meal where everyone sits down around one table and eats together, a place where friendships and bonds are formed.

Clothing optional! This both excited me and scared me. At home I like nothing more than to get up and walk around naked as nature intended and being a gay man what else could I ask for but other naked men around me. But I was unsure if I wanted to walk around naked in front of other guests as I don't have much confidence in my bodily appearance. But I worried for nothing, as this was not even a problem as most of the guests walked around clothed or in shorts. Although in the middle of the night I did go the bathroom on the landing, naked and bumped into another guest who was also starkers, but that felt ok, it was no worse than being in a changing room at your local pool.

In summary, H.H is homely, the host and staff are friendly, welcoming and kind; nothing is too much trouble, the rooms are well appointed, spacious and well decorated, Meals are worth every penny, ambience is warm and inviting, tranquil and relaxing. For me H.H is everything I expect and more from a B&B. Well done John and thank you so much for creating such a beautiful retreat, we are very lucky to have someone like you to have created this venue for us guys.
100% from me.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, although to save some money if you are travelling solo, choose the twin sharin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank sjak00
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
What an absolutely lovely review. Once again, it is so rewarding when we have such a fun time with a guest staying and feel we have met a friend - who we just know will return again and again. We really do try and go that extra bit further for - and with - our guests - and I look forward to welcoming sjak00 here again soon. If I am not mistaken, it will be at Christmas.

Thanks sjak00.
Naples, Italy
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I was stayed in this beautiful house(it wasn't an hotel or beb for me,just a lovely family house)with beautiful people and amazing foods that the host Jhon prepare for us every day..i was coming from italy finding this place on internet and i was stayed here frt the massage workshop,such an amazing and relaxing experience,i met a lot of nice guys and we all after a little were a real family!after the workshop i decided to stay 3 nights more in this amazing place,lovely garden,open kitchen 24h and you can make your coffee or tea,a beautiful dog and when i was there a beautiful weather too!jhon,simon and nick are really good to do their job everyday and you will never feel alone..hope to come to HH again,maybe for the new eve..eheh miss u all guys!big hug from Italy!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Joseph1984
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
It is when you read reviews like this one that you realize all the hard work, long hours, late nights, early mornings and 15 hour days - 7 days a week, are worth it. When you put your heart and soul into a place and it is realizes - it does make a difference to how you continue. Thank you for these kind words and I do hope we shall see you here again soon. Big hugs to you as well.... John