“Style over substance”
Review of Ventana Grand Cafe

Ventana Grand Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Ventana Grand Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 786 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Seafront Brasserie style venue serving freshly prepared British Conteporary food, with large outdoor poolside dining in summer and warm fires in winter, boutique style funky decor.Food is served noon to 9pm or 10pm ( weekends) daily. Vibrant cocktail bar open till late accompanies this unique venue and the menu has something for everyone whilst maintaining its British theme. With fresh Fish, Homemade Steak burgers, Pies,crispy duck salad, steaks and salmon fish cakes. Outdoor Bar B Q 's in summer and traditional English Fayre year round, this Brasserie has the feel of a luxury West Coast USA dining venue and has recently been awarded a coveted AA red rosette and highly commended in the Bournemouth Tourism awards.The venue also serves elegant traditional afternoon teas daily from 3-5pm.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Had a meal with family plus relatives who were staying at the Cumberland, 7 in total. The setting is stylish and the presentation impressive. Unfortunately the food was a disappointment bearing in mind the promise of two rosette award winning cuisine.

We will forgive them the 30+ minute wait as it's stated on the menu (it's a la carte) but the restaurant was only at 50% capacity on a monday night so should have been snappier.

I had the hake which came with mushy peas, home made tartare sauce and chips. The fish was well cooked but the chips were tepid, soggy packet chips. Really ? For £14 I expect proper chips, correctly cooked. 2 of our party had the grilled chicken skewers, which though well presented were tough and to me seemed slightly over cooked.

Had to wait too long to order coffee and it was only Costa, so average machine coffee and the waiter forgot the milk and I had to wait an age for that too.

If the meal had been at another restaurant, i would have forgiven these things but with the promise of 'award winning' and premium pricing, I expect quality to match. For that reason i can only rate the meal as average. I can see plenty of other good reviews so I can only take it that they had agency staff on last night. Pity.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

What can I say...the Ventana was absolutely fabulous, I couldn't have asked for a better meal. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and given our menus. There was a good choice on our set menu, as I was dining with a fussy eater and there was no issues here. The staff were delightful and happy to go out of their way to help you. The scallops that I had were beautiful as was the chicken dish I had. The creme de la creme was my desert...a Bailey's brioche bread and butter pudding. Heaven for those with a sweet tooth.

The decor was perfect and really did fit in with the art deco theme running throughout.
If I was ever visiting Bournemouth again, I would most certainly ensure I visited again! Thank you to all the team for making our evening just perfect.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just got back from a Valentines surprise weekend and had an amazing weekend at the Cumberland Hotel - arrived too late for the Valentines meal but had Room service from the Ventana - best room service EVER!

Afternoon tea was fabulous everything about it, the food, the staff, the surroundings simply put you deserve to treat yourself to this experience.

Dinner in the Ventana was an experience I will never forget - I have eaten in many places around the world but nothing compares to the Ventana the food was superb - a variety of interesting choices beautifully presented and when the bill came it was so reasonable for the quality of food and service we will be returning again without a doubt.

Thank you to all the staff who made our weekend something very special despite the weather!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The ambience is lovely in there,on entering we just felt great.The service is spot on, thankyou to our waiter Oliviero for his service.The food is delicious.We are hoping to arrange an evening there with friends dressed to suit the art deco surrounds. The 2-4-1 offer is a bonus. Just cannot really put into words how we felt, lovely lovely lovely.............cannot wait to go back...........but only on occasion,so we don't spoil the experience.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The team have a way of treating each guest as being someone special - not many venues have that way of giving such excellent service even on very busy events at the hotel. We love going there! The food is always well presented, on hot plates, excellent tastes, perfect service and such good value for money.