“my special treat to myself” 5 of 5 bubbles

Amala Conscious Food
Ranked #170 of 728 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Established as Zoukinis in 2008 as a vegetarian restaurant, this gem has recently undergone a major facelift and is now called amala. (2016) Amala is now a purely vegan restaurant offering a conscious eating experience with what some would call 'vegan gourmet cuisine' with delicate and robust flavour and texture combinations - all purely plant-based. Whatever it may be, we are committed to offering real food, prepared simply and with love, using organic and local ingredients where possible and practical. Many of our 5 star review mention the friendliness of the staff, the soothing and calming atmosphere (even when we're busy which is more and more!) of the environment and of course - many takes pictures and comment on the delicious food! Most important to us is how YOU FEEL at the end of the MEAL (or experience as we like to call it). That is our focus and our strive. Daniel & the team at amala
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“my special treat to myself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is the place I go when I want to spoil myself. The atmosphere is warm and unusual, the menu always has handmade lovely food - their flans are beyond wonderful and the hummus is divine - to name just two. Although its essentially a vegetarian restaurant - the choice of food is so interesting that I don't consider I'm 'going without' the main part of the meal. Try the sweet potato chips and you'll forget everything except the next mouthful. You can always go to a standard restaurant and have nice food, but this is a step up. I try and get here at least once a month and I set aside a good couple of hours to enjoy the food and wine, have a chat with the lovely staff and watch the world go by outside. My special place

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Bournemouth
“Disappointing 2nd visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went to the Thali evening on a Thursday and was extremely disappointed. Not at all what we were expecting. Food was average and not authentic Indian Thali. It all sounds great on the menu, but the portion sizes was unbelievably small. Thali's are lots of dishes of the same size, but this was just curry, rice, and a few dips (Spoon size portion). We eat out a lot and this is the first time we have left a restaurant hungry. Not acceptable for the price being charged and wont be returning. It was not surprising the restaurant only had 4 tables booked, when the Indian up the road was full at the same time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JacquiBournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“An incredible afternoon lunch and wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Firstly I'd like to say that this review is following a number of trips to Zoukinis over the past couple of years, all of which have been nothing but perfect with friendly, welcoming service and the most incredible food. However, the main focus of this review is going to be regarding the wedding reception that my husband and I had at Zoukinis last night.

Right from the start the owner, Kelly, was so accommodating with every request my husband and I had (including a no alcohol rule and a strictly all vegan menu!) as well as being supportive, enthusiastic (which for any couple planning a wedding will know, makes the world of difference) and more than anything providing us with the piece of mind that the staff at Zoukinis would take care of everything, giving us the chance to fully enjoy our special day.

As part of our day my husband and I, following our ceremony, held a small family lunch at Zoukinis - Kelly went to the effort of drawing up a special 3 course, lunch time, menu that would cater for everyone (including our more fussy, non-vegetarian/vegan guests!) Everyone commented on how wonderful the food was, how friendly the staff were and how smoothly everything went (especially given that we turned up before the restaurant were really expecting us, due to the heavy rain!) One of the more personal touches though, was that the staff had gone to the special effort of making sure, even though it was not on the menu, that my favourite starter was made for me! And on top of all the incredible food, Kelly had really outdone herself in sourcing us some non-alcoholic, vegan, pink sparkling wine (in keeping with our wedding colour scheme) for a special afternoon toast! All of this, on top of the bottles of non-alcoholic, vegan, sparkling wine she had sourced for our main toast later on that evening!!

Now to move on to the evening reception, there was a special drinks menu - including personalised mocktails (all named using clever puns of my husband's, mine and my bridesmaid's names) - all of which Kelly surprised us with on the night. The restaurant had been re-organised in such a short period of time between the lunch and the evening reception to accommodate our 60 guests. As for the food, we were treated to an absolutely fantastic vegan buffet - like neither my husband, me or any of our guests had ever seen before! The chefs, as well as preparing the amazing feast, even came out of the kitchen to meet the guests and discuss and guide them through the food they had presented us with - a touch that made all the difference for some of our guests, a little less used to such diverse and worldly vegan dishes! The rest of the staff were equally wonderful at ensuring everyone was looked after. Even those sat outside in the beautiful, undercover, heated area beside the restaurant.

Every guest commented on how delicious the food was, especially those who had been slightly more sceptical about an all vegan menu, and said they would definitely be back to try more of what Zoukinis had to offer! As well as this we received a lot of positive comments about the friendly and polite service our guests received from all of the staff.

All in all it was a perfect evening at my husband and mine's favourite restaurant. A place where we have celebrated family visits, birthdays, engagements and now the most special of days - our wedding. I cannot thank Kelly and all the staff at Zoukinis enough and would like to pass on my highest recommendation of this restaurant!

Poole, Dorset
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere of a wedding reception at this venue. Great ambience to the place and the food was simply outstanding! I could eat vegan/vegetarian food every day, and even my family who are not vegetarians/vegans absolutely loved the food. A superb evening and the staff worked so hard!

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, very friendly, but a bit disorganised!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading rave reviews on tripadvisor and finding myself in bournmouth on work, I thought I'd give Zoukinis a try.

After being seated (squeezed in if I promised to be finished by 8 as the table was booked) I was told it was Thali night, had a menu presented, and told I didn't need to order anything and it would just come - I was rather confused and wasn't given much an explanation as to what Thali night was, and how much I was expected to pay - especiallt after a minute or so the menu was taken away again.
(I deduced after overhearing another diner talking, that it was a set menu it all could have been explained better!)

The lady seemed rushed and a little run off her feet.

Ordered a flat white which eventually came, and I have to say was closer to a latte than anything else, but was good none the less.

The food arrived - a potato cauliflower and spinach curry, with samosas, fried bread and rice, served with a side dish with small servings of Dahl, chutney, shredded carrot and salsa.

The curry was well seasoned, very tasty!
The rice was sticky and fluffy - perfect, and the samosas and bread were nice, but all sadly served on a cold plate so lost its initial heat quickly.

It turns out the meal was supposed to be served with a yoghurt drink - I was only aware of this when an elderly lady tried to present me with a latte, having misheard the similarly sounding name for the yoghurt drink (which was hurriedly poured and plonked on the table!)

The sides were each tasty (the apple and mint chutney especially) but I felt didn't sit with the main dish.

I finished with the baileys cheesecake - which was baked, had a great texture but lacked any taste of baileys and was a very small portion.

Overall, the food was tasty, the staff were friendly, but disorganised and the price for the set menu was a little steep considering the portion size.

I left with the intention to return, as I feel I didn't get the same great experience so many have clearly had, and would like to give this restaurant another chance!

• 4 of 5 bubbles