“Amazing Vegetarian Food”

Amala Conscious Food
Ranked #171 of 753 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Established as Zoukinis in 2008 as a vegetarian restaurant, this gem has recently undergone a major facelift and is now called amala. (2016) Amala is now a purely vegan restaurant offering a conscious eating experience with what some would call 'vegan gourmet cuisine' with delicate and robust flavour and texture combinations - all purely plant-based. Whatever it may be, we are committed to offering real food, prepared simply and with love, using organic and local ingredients where possible and practical. Many of our 5 star review mention the friendliness of the staff, the soothing and calming atmosphere (even when we're busy which is more and more!) of the environment and of course - many takes pictures and comment on the delicious food! Most important to us is how YOU FEEL at the end of the MEAL (or experience as we like to call it). That is our focus and our strive. Daniel & the team at amala
“Amazing Vegetarian Food”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I live nearby and visit the restaurant quite often. I love the cocktails and the food. I've taken many meat eaters here and they have all really enjoyed the food, there's something for everyone.

Just a note, this is a restaurant not a bar so might be ok for a few early drinks.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great For Vegetarians, But Pricey”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have visited this resturant few times and eaten their food in the Bournemouth food markets during the summer last year and the falafal wraps are fantastic with the green apple sauce and the sweet potato chips were amazing! But just for a quick lunch the bill soon does add up

• Visited September 2012
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Rip Off Joint”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went to this restaurant with a friend last Saturday. It was Happy Hour time, drinks half price with a free Tapas.
The mother of the owner was one of the rudest people I have ever met in a public establishment. When I approached the bar to orde a second drink, she looked at me from the other end of the bar and snarled 'What'. Taken aback, I asked for the drinks ans was served by the barmaid.
Just before leaving, I asked to pay the bill. I could not believe my eyes, £57.20, for 6 Pimms, a small bowl of chips and a tiny bowl of pea-size olives.
This is the worst rip-off I have had in my favourite part of Bournemouth and I shall not be returning to this awful place.
Unfortunately Tripadvisor needs me to give this place some points, which I do reluctantly.

4 Thank Reverend Richar... d
jacqueline k, Owner at Amala Conscious Food, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Reverend,
I cannot begin to tell you how astounded we were to see this review as it goes against everything that you expressed before you left, it saddens us that your opinions could change so dramatically as during your visit you were extremely forth coming letting us all know (including the other guest in the restaurant) how happy you where to have discovered Zoukinis. Infact so pleased with the service, food and cocktails you had received that you and your friend both booked upcoming birthday parties.

Firstly, our ‘Happy Hour’ has never offered ‘Buy one get one free’, we hold a restaurant licence which states that customers have to order food when ordering alcohol. Therefore, we offer ‘a plate of FREE tapas with every two cocktails that you purchase’ We also feel that this encourages sensible drinking by offering food when consuming alcohol; this was explained to you when you arrived, consequently you ordered two Pimms turbo (which incidentally also includes a measure of gin) and a FREE bowl of sweet potato fries.
On your second round of cocktails you ordered a FREE bowl of our marinated olives, granted they are not queen size olives, but certainly not the size of peas.
On your third round of cocktails you when asked if you would like any tapas, you declined, as with your forth round of cocktails (this round seems to have slipped your memory).

I take offence of the fact that you refer to my Mother as the rudest person you have met, likewise she was very taken aback when you insisted on referring to her as Mother, inappropriately shouting ``Mum, two more drinks’’ across a busy restaurant.

Your bill actually came to £52.00 for eight cocktails, pleased with your experience at Zoukinis you then insisted on adding a 10% service to the bill which therefore brought your bill to £57.20.

As you state that you will no longer be returning to this establishment, would you like us to cancel your birthday celebrations and remove your business cards that you had asked us to display for you?
Dorset
“Lovely food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

My second visit this year, a Saturday night, and not a spare seat to be had and there was a great buzz about the place. Food good as usual, possibly a tad pricey for a vegetarian restaurant, but overall enjoyable.

Chudleigh, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Popped in for lunch with our daughter, although we are not vegetarians but the menu looked good.
the soup was wonderful (spicy lentil) and very tasty, followed by wraps and a burger. The wraps were good but needed more seasoning, however, this may have been down to the soup being so flavoursome. The burger was gorgeous. for 3 of us including 3 drinks came to £41, good value for money.