“Friendly Staff”
Review of Devon Towers Hotel

Devon Towers Hotel
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I went with Alfa in August the Hotel is a good 10 mins walk from the beach, going down is easy as there is a slope but coming back up is a bit steep if you are disabled, although there is seating at regular intervals to have a rest.There is a good bus service at the end of the street to town, or in the other direction through to Swanage.You can also get a bus on the main road up from the pier to town and then one out back to St Michaels Rd.
The hotel Staff are friendly and helpful I had a single room with a shower as requested,the bathroom was adequate although if you were on the large size it could be difficult to get into the shower as the door hits onto the sink so it does not fully open.The bedroom was a small single bedded room tiny wardrobe and as it was an 8 day holiday I literally lived out of a suitcase.Dressing table with 3 small draws,2 good mirrors, hairdryer,Television was a disapointment with the switch over looming, I would have thought all hotels had freeview by now.It wasn't working properly hard to tune! it into anything.
I never had a problem with the lift it always turned up in reasonable time.The dining room was lovely and the food was generally delicious except for the fish main courses I didn't enjoy any, and the Friday Dinner Menu has Fish and Chips on, don't be fooled this is not fish in batter it was horrible, so on the Saturday I went to Harry Ramsdens near the pier.
The evening entertainment was average to poor with Bingo thrown in, the bar prices were reasonable though.On the whole the hotel could do with updating but all areas were kept clean and tidy.The Theatre on the pier is worth a visit I went in the evening to a show and walked slowly back up the slope and along the road to the hotel.I felt completely safe and never had a problem with noise from the street and my room was at the front.The tour bus is good for getting around as you can get on and off as you please all day,so you won't miss any attractions,museum etc and going through the Chines is lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
16  Thank yorkshirelass009

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The manager,Carl, runs a very tight ship. Not a single member of staff was anything other than friendly,efficient, well trained, cheerful and gave the impression of being a willing member of a good team. On staff days off Carl would wait on tables. I have never seen a manager do that before. My wife and I have been the victims of some so called catering on coach holidays. Canned/frozen veg in minute portions, soups which were patently leftover veg,making a repeat visit.. Salads, curries,pies wiich coincidenty always seemed to have identical ingredients to the offerings of the previous day..lMy wife, on a
previous coach trip with a national competitor had an unscheduled trip to Bournemouth hospital along with two others with food poisoning. So we are very cautious. Not this time.
The food was varied, generous portions,excellent choice,fresh veg well prepared, hot and served quickly.

The bedroom was clean, good comfy bed, brilliant power shower and fresh towels daily. We experienced no problem with noise but we did hear the front rooms could be affected by traffic. Moans:- we do have two. The bedrooms are tight. The second could be rectified more easily. Throughout our stay we ran the gauntlet of the stench created by smokers sitting in the entrance to reception which drifted into the buildiing. Please move
the bench.To the low tide mark preferably!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank David H
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Although my wife and I are great Alfa fans,our last trip to a Leisureplex hotel, the Devon Towers was a disappointment. Once in the hotel the Leisureplex organisation was, as usual, excellent. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel was comfortable in its public areas and our bedroom was also satisfactory although the decor, overall, was tired and ready for a freshening up WHY THEN THE DISAPPOINTMENT? In contrast to all other Leisureplex hotels we have stayed in this hotel is not on the front. Devon Towers is tucked away down a side street. Although it was only a five to ten minutes from the front and the main pier, the street was dirty at all times with wall to wall cars which made transfers to and from our coach difficult, and quite a number of the buildings in the street were split up into flats which were at the "budget" end of the rental market. I will be traveling with Alfa again and staying in a Leisureplex hotel, in fact I have already booked for next year. I would, however, not consider Devon Towers again nor would I recommend it to others. Although I have rated sleep quality fairly high we were at the back of the building and did not have to suffer the noise from stag and hen nights at the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bigfoot1948
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I visited Devon Towers with my Mum on an Alfa tour. The Hotel is old but clean and cared for and the staff are all lovely - particularly our waitress who hugged us and asked us not to leave at the end of our stay!
Unfortunately Bournemouth is now plagued with hen and stag parties, they are not intimidating and we had no problems walking through the crowds in an evening but we had literally no sleep on Saturday night due to their continual shouting, laughing and screaming and car doors being slammed every few minutes. This was no fault of the hotel, I did not hear any noise from any adjoining rooms nor from the entertainment during the whole of our stay.
The following morning I spoke to the Manager (Carl) and asked if it would be possible to move to quieter rooms, he was most understanding, sympathetic and helpful and within minutes he had arranged for our things to be moved to quieter rooms while we were out on a day trip to Weymouth. I have never had to complain before, I felt awkward doing it but Carl made me feel at ease and was so kind about it all.
The food at the Hotel was excellent, there was a good choice at every meal, it was fresh, hot and tasty and served by cheerful staff.
Rooms were clean, there were plentiful supplies of tea, coffee, milk and sugar, towels were clean and fluffy and soap and shampoo were provided. Whilst the single rooms were not huge they were bigger than many I have stayed in and had a wardrobe, dressing able and bedside cabinet so there was plenty of storage. All rooms were ensuite and the bathrooms were small but adequate and very clean in both rooms I used during my stay. Mum's second room had a massive bathroom!
There are only things that could improve this hotel, they would be double glazing to all bedrooms and the other would be an additional lift as there is only 1 which gets very busy at mealtimes.
There were all ages from a teenager to a lady of nearly 90 in our party and this hotel seemed to suit them all.
Thank you Carl and staff for making us feel so welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank shropshiretraveller9
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Trip with Alfa travel, Lovely coach driver called Adan.Nice hotel, friendly staff, good food, near to shops and sea, nice walks. Room clean, Overall Grea.

• Stayed: April 2011
8  Thank elabeeEssex
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Really enjoyed our week here. Our bedroom was very clean and comfortable. The food was very good, plenty of choices on the nightly menu. Staff were always friendly and helpful. Not too far from town centre.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank medward273
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Our room was clean and comfortable and the en suite was nice and roomy.
Food was good and the staff could not have been friendlier.
Enjoyed the evening entertainment.
Position of hotel suited us, and there was a bus service for those who did not enjoy the lovely walks.
As a budget holiday, all round good value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2011