“Dated and dirty”

Royal Bath Hotel Spa
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I'll start with the good points - the hotel is in a good location, just 2 mins walk to the beach, and our room was enormous (we stayed in a suite). Now on to the rest: the hotel is very dated and shabby - I believe that renovations are planned, but I wish I'd checked the reviews before I booked. The room was also dirty, I had to clean someone else's hairs out of the bath before I could put my kids in it. There were dirt marks all up the walls, and the net curtains were disgustingly dirty. When I told reception and tried to complain, no-one really seemed to care. The only meals that we ate in the hotel was breakfast - try not to look at the dirty carpet when you go to the buffet as it will put you off your food. There was no-one to help with bags on arrival. Outside the hotel there is space for approx 3 cars, after this the cars just pile up the main road causing congestion. This would be fine if there was more than 1 porter on hand who was also the person responsible for valet parking the cars (and so was never at the desk). We used the valet parking service (£20 per night!!!), and I would beware as I am sure that they just parked my car in a public car park and not in secure parking at the hotel. Our second morning we were woken up at 7am by the fire alarm (false alarm), when I asked reception later what had happened I got told that "don't worry it was nothing serious, it was a nice wake up call for you" - uumm no it wasn't. We made use of the leisure club facilities and were shocked to find that we were asked to pay £1 each for a towel!!! I said that I thought this was a liberty so the lady on reception told me to use the bath towels from my room instead. On our last day we checked out, and left our bags with the porter. When we returned to collect our bags and car there were again cars backing all the way up the street. The porter sent us in to the back room to collect our own bags whilst he went to get my car. Despite me telling him twice my room number he still managed to return (10 mins later) with someone else's car, so had to wait another 10 mins for I'm to take this car back and finally return with mine. We were fortunate enough to have good weather over the bank holiday weekend when we stayed here so we didn't have to spend too much time in the hotel, but for what we spent (we did not have a Groupon deal and it was not cheap for a 2 night stay over the Bank Holiday) I was pretty upset and disappointed. I'd love to return to Bournemouth, but I will not be staying at The Royal Bath again.

1  Thank Callie G
There are newer reviews for Royal Bath Hotel Spa

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just stayed in this hotel on a Travel Zoo deal. Hotel is very old 1838 and in some places could do with a clean up. The breakfast was good but dinner was a bit mediocre Our room had damp patch and mould on the ceiling as did our friends. The main gripe is the car park. You have to pay 20 pound a night. Only other option is NCP car park nearby which is 12.50 a night. This was not mentioned in Travel Zoo details or obvious on hotel site. Heard a lot of moans and grumbles about this. Don't think hotel warrants its 4* status If you want a hotel right near the beach this is OK but I would chose a hotel with its own FREE car park next time.

2  Thank doddy19
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Still tired, same old stains, curtains that don't work, everything in need of TLC.Such a shame. Disability access limited. Twenty years ago was probably nice.

1  Thank 67nigh
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just booked on travel zoo and promised 2 nights DBB with an allocation of £34 per night per person for a two course meal. All in all it wasn't up to it!
The hotel is very tired in decor and is showing signs if wear and tear, but I can cope with that. Room was down a labyrinth if corridors but had no hot water.
My main complaint is that the food was a con and I would not pay £3.50 a head let alone £34 . First night was a cous-cous salad and cheap pâté for starter followed by a choice of steak and mushroom pie or battered coley and mushy peas, on the second night same starters but with a bit of brie cheese in offer. when I asked for vinegarette I was given a bowl of sarsons vinegar as a salad dressing.
The mains were a disgrace and let the place down......sausages in gravy topped with Yorkshire pudding, cheap mince meat and spaghetti, and a fish dish. When we entered they had a salmon fish but then when they run out of salmon they replaced it with the same Iceland battered coley from yesterday. This meant that half the table had salmon and half not!!! Having not enjoyed the coley from the day before I opted for just peas and chips. I feel that this offer is an absolute con and the dinner bed and breakfast is not worth it. I enjoy my meals generally and would have ordinarily have had ordered wine etc with my meal, but who would order a nice bottle of wine with effectively a bag of chips which is what we got.
I wanted my money back. Do not stay at this hotel until they realise the British public will not pay good money to be served food that wasn't suitable for the 1st world war trenches.

1  Thank Kenny280770
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked with Travelzoo and were worried after reading other reviews. Stunning hotel - great downstairs areas, lounge, brasserie etc. Staff could not do enough for us. Window would not close on arrival so, after trying to close it, Scott from the hotel immediately allocated us a new room, which was larger. All very clean and comfortable. The hotel is looking tired with floor coverings, furniture etc needing updating but overall the value and service were excellent. Our teenage children loved the buffet style meals (they could eat as much as they wanted) and the pool was clean and children were welcomed (at certain times of day). Our original double room was tiny - our teenagers had a twin which was considerably larger - would suggest booking a twin room so that you have more space.