“Not the Plaice it Used to Be”
Review of WestBeach

WestBeach
Ranked #42 of 778 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: WestBeach Bar is a delightfully fresh and modern seafood bistro on the Pier Approach in Bournemouth. With floor to ceiling glass windows to maximise the stunning sea views, the light-filled dining room is understated and relaxed - allowing the spotlight to shine on the real star of the show, the stunning seafood menu. WestBeach is available for private parties.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This used to be a great place... now it's just sloppy. Food, service everything. Friday lunchtime, not many people eating. A very sad ham hock terrine, with two tiny squares of melba toast like shrapnel. No offer of bread or anything. Ordered the whole grilled plaice daily special at £18.oo. Expected something the size of what a Dover sole used to be, head off plate one end, tail off plate the other;. This was a nine inch fish ! I can get that in my local pub for under £10:oo It was served wrong side up. The side dish, which they piled everything into was not of any great interest. They reluctantly turned it over for me. We had a decent bottle of Malbec which the wait staff tried to open with a corkscrew, until we pointed out it had a screw top. Shame, view is great. Staff are very poor and the food just ain't what it used to be.

3  Thank Michael J
WestBeachBournemouth, Public Relations Manager at WestBeach, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. It is our policy at WestBeach to deal with each comment properly and on an individual basis. We take all comments extremely seriously and would therefore like to speak with you personally in regard to this matter. Please would you contact us on the following email address hannah@west-beach.co.uk Kind regards, The WestBeach Team

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Lovely saturday adternoon watching the sea and a Lovely fish finger sandwich topped off with chunky chips and lots of coffee :0)

1  Thank Deluxinspector
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A simple Google search turned up this restaurant on a beachfront location. It was a cold January weekend and as it was very close to our hotel it was in a perfect location too.

We popped in during the afternoon for a glass of wine and just to take a look through the menu before booking a table for that evening.

As a starter my wife ordered pigeon breast while I ordered scallops. The pigeon wasn't to her taste so we swapped. The scallops were delicious and so was the pigeon - it was just a question of taste for me wife, let's face it, everyone has a different palate.

For mains, my wife had something from the specials board - monkfish wrapped in parma ham with fondant potatoes, which she thoroughly enjoyed. Being a sucker (no pun intended) for shellfish I had a large portion of this which for me was heaven.

We were so full after our two courses, we bypassed anything to follow.

The waiter is to be complimented for barely ever allowing you to touch your own wine bottle, in some cases dashing over when he spotted our wine glasses getting on the empty side.

In contrast, to be served a £25 plate of shellfish with no finger bowl and having to ask for it is a basic which too many restaurants in Britain fall down on. I can't justify dropping a TripAdvisor 'blob' just because of this, but the fact a finger bowl isn't automatically brought up really is quite poor - but the restaurant as a whole has fantastic food, service and chefs.

1  Thank ConsumerBloke
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have meant to return to Westbeach for sometime and I took two friends. Friendly, relaxed and quiet supportive service. Everyone of us enjoye4d our choice on the menu, particular good comment was made about the plum crumble. 5 hours of relaxing on asunny, but cold day with the sunshining. Excellent!

1  Thank bradders242
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The restaurant is ideally located along the beach and must be very friendly in summer times (I always went there on autumn and winter). The menu is mostly oriented towards fish but there are often a list of suggestions that have always been very nice cooking experience so far. The service is helpful and supportive to help you making the right choice. One day, the kitchen encountered some issues and our service was delayed. The restaurant offered us an extra and gratis bottle of wine. They have a large offer of wines that allow accommodating all type of food and dishes. The only disappointing point is the toilets that need a serious refreshing and were not 100% clean on my last 2 visits. But overall a place that I highly recommend for a guaranteed nice lunch.

1  Thank michel b