“Great food & nice vibe”

Willow
Ranked #21 of 97 Restaurants in Totnes
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Eco-friendly cafe offering a constantly changing selection of tasty, hand prepared dishes making the best use of seasonal and local produce. Dairy, gluten, wheat & sugar free diets are all catered for. Drinks are all organic from wines & beers to juices, teas and fairtrade coffees. Prices are very reasonable especially considering over 50% of the restaurant's purchases are organic. Children are welcome - books & toys available. Lovely, sunny, secluded walled garden.
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I went took our two kids (1 & 3) to Willow and loved it. The front room was packet, so we went to the family room at the back, which has kiddies' toys and high chairs and opens onto the garden. Made it very easy with a normally manic toddler. All the food looked great, but we opted for a tofu curry/stew and a spinach filo pie (or spanakopitta) with salads. The tofu had been marinated in some concoction and tasted zingy, and the spinach pie was lightly seasoned with herbs. Both were big helpings and delicious. For dessert we had a massive slice of summer cake and slightly smaller slice of carrot cake (though I wished we gone for the chocolate wotsit). Such a relief to find an authentic vegetarian restaurant serving good hearty vegetarian food at a reasonable price. We're definitely going back next time we're in Totnes.

1  Thank Merman62

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Poor old Willow. It's like one of those smelly old hippies you meet at a party that bore you to death talking endlessly about the 70's. We've moved on, and so has vegetarian food. Alot. Tofu dip is no longer acceptable, your overpriced stodgy 'wholesome' food no longer appealing. Please, do yourself a favour, go to Demuths in bath, or Riverford on your doorstep, Ottelenghi in London, don't rest on your position in Totnes or your charming outlay, you could be so so so much more, I can see it in you. Please, you know deep down i love you really, come out of the 70's and into 2012. Make me proud to be a vegetarian in Totnes. Until you do, I'll avoid you like the plague.

3  Thank Snootyboots
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I have visited this restaurant several times over the last 15 years while in the area. It seems very reminiscent of the sort of vegetarian restaurants common in the 1970s (I have been a vegetarian for 50 years) both in decor and menu. On our penultimate visit, about 3 years ago, we were rather disappointed with the food, but assumed this must be a 'one off' and decided to try it again last week. On this occasion, we were even more disappointed. The food was either tasteless or unpalatable (in the case of a tofu dip) and this will be our final visit. There are several health food shops in Totnes, and next time we are in the area we will buy snacks from them rather than visiting Willow.

2  Thank JohnW694
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We recently visited Totnes and were pleasantly surprised by the number of nice restaurants and cafes to choose from. Being a little spoiled for choice we decided to opt for an evening meal somewhere that was a little different to where we would normally eat. Neither my partner or I are vegetarian but Willow looked nice enough and as there were sufficient dishes on the menu to keep us happy, we thought we would give it a try. A very good decision!

When the food arrived we were really pleased we had decided to go there. Generous portions of delicious, fresh and tasty food - we really couldn't fault it. There was live music but not over-amplified so we could still conduct a conversation and the whole place was friendly, busy and informal. The staff were welcoming and seemed to enjoy their work.

I'm not planning to become a vegetarian but I do wish we lived closer so we could call in more often! A great find and highly recommended.

1  Thank worldecho
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A good place to have wholesome tasty food. It has also got a playcorner for littleones

1  Thank greenfinn