“Great little find”

Ranked #10 of 27 Totnes B&B and Inns
Winnersh, null, United Kingdom
“Great little find”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you're into feline gymnastics, then this place isn't for you, but joking aside I wholeheartedly recommend this little B&B. Although small, the rooms have everything you need for your stay. We stayed 5 nights and had no real complaints other than that the room was too hot, so I turned down the radiator. As far as facilities go, there was always hot water for the shower, the wi-fi worked well and the breakfast was freshly cooked and hearty. The owners were very friendly seemed like nothing was too much trouble.

Five-star luxury, it isn't, but nor is the price. It is slightly out of the way, but only a 5 minute walk from the top of the hill - walking back up after a night out can be a chore :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here for two nights: although I booked a single room it was more like a small double, which was a nice surprise. The room was cosy and welcoming with a lovely modern bathroom and there were some nice touches like the toiletries in the bathroom and the filter coffee/filtered water and chocolates provided in the bedroom. It was also lovely and warm which was important as it was quite a rainy, windy weekend in Totnes. The breakfast was really tasty with good quality produce and the young woman that served the breakfast very friendly. I hope to return to Totnes in March and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sherrol
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a super time here. Breakfast was all local food and very friendly welcome. Dog was also made very welcome. Rooms very nice and cosy. Plenty of parking available too.
Totnes was also very interesting. We would like to come back again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Kent
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 for 2 nights. When booking and speaking to either Dawn or Shirley on the phone, I found one to be more friendlier and helpful than the other. When we arrived at the B&B it was nothing like what the website was like. Our room was a very small double bedroom, with not much room to do anything. At night all you heard was a load of noise coming from the toilet throughout the night. On flushing the toilet it also made a very loud noise. The room was full of insects for the entire stay, so it seemed cleaning was not done properly. Our friends were staying in a twin room, which again was tiny and full of insects and throughout the night they heard a load of noise too. Their room was very damp, you could feel it and smell it in the room. Both of their throats were affected from this. My husband ended up being violently sick throughout the first night and very ill throughout the following day. It was only on our journey home that he seemed better, and we think this was due to the room we stayed in, as the way he was feeling was like a very bad virus and this would not have vanished that quick.

When we arrived on the first night we went out for a meal and came back late,but were very quiet on coming into the b&b. During the next day we were all out apart from my husband due to him being ill, and he over heard Shirley showing around another guests, and she lied to them accusing us of being noisy the night before, which was not true as we respected everyone else being asleep at that time.

The walls of the rooms are very thin and can hear everything through them. On the first morning of breakfast there were some young children making noise and Shirley decided to shut the dining room door as it was early in the morning,and didn't want any noise to wake people up, but on the 2nd morning of our stay we decided to have a lie in and go for breakfast later, but the noise of everyone in the dining room woke us up and couldn't get back to sleep and the door was never shut on this occasion.

On the morning of checking out, Shirley told us half hour before we were suppose to check out that the next guests were coming early to bring their bags to the room as they had a wedding to go to. She never told us this at the start of our stay, which then we could have been prepared for it, but it felt like we were being rushed out of our rooms before we were supposed to be.

Our overall experience of our stay is definitely a 1 out of 10, we were very disappointed and this b&b is definitely not a 4* b&b as stated on their website. We certainly wouldn't return there again and would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms we had were extremely bad, so we wouldn't recommend any of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ShirleyTotnes, Owner at The Great Grubb Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I would like to reply to the comments made by this person. At no time during the stay did they complain about their rooms, even when payment was made.We were not aware that someone was ill until we went to tidy their room on the morning after their first night stay, and cannot believe that this would be due to the room. An early breakfast was requested and provided for one person, the others did not arrive for the first morning although we waited until after 9.30 for them. Our rooms are thoroughly cleaned before guests arrival, and insects in the room must be due to the windows being left open in the wet humid weather we have had. On the second morning of their stay these people turned up for breakfast after 9.30 and were still eating and chatting at 11am. Our checkout time is 11am, so I explained this to them, and that they were welcome to stay and finish their breakfast, but we did need to clean the rooms as more guests were arriving. Any comments made about noisy guests made by myself were not directed at them, but several guests were attending weddings and I was explaining that there may be some noise when they came in at night, as this is usually the case because wedding parties tend to end late.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I paid £75 for one night B&B, via a booking agent, and expected more. It's partly my own fault for not checking it out first but I was on a business trip and in a rush. If the owners want to use these sites they need to be aware that expectations will be so much higher. I watched a woman pay £50 before me, which didn't make me feel great. Had I paid £50, I'd probably have thought that I got what I paid for but in fact I'd have opted for something different.

The staff were lovely, but I'm afraid my room was very small indeed, my mattress not good and I struggled to get enough water for a bath before I went off to a meeting (I couldn't shower as my leg is in plaster). Sometimes the small things are the ones you spot, like my kettle had old water in it and the top of it wasn't particularly clean.

But I'm a fussy beggar as you will see from my other reviews.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SHROPSHIRE
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We recently stopped overnight at this B&B while working in Totnes and found everything to our satisfaction. The hosts were very helpful, the room was clean and everything we needed was available. The location was excellent to be able to walk in to town and easy to find when we arrived. We took the dog with us and everyone at the B&B was so nice ti him. Breakfast was good, everything you could want in a breakfast was available and very tasty.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Great B&B. Lovely breakfast. Would recommend highly

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank putty1967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Totnes
Royal Seven Stars Hotel
#1 of 1 in Littlehempston
The Cott Inn
The Cott Inn
#2 of 5 in Dartington

Been to The Great Grubb Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!