“Delicious variety with a personal touch.”

The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe
Ranked #4 of 95 Restaurants in Totnes
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a small team who are passionate in bringing you delicious, locally sourced, freshly prepared food and drink. We specialise in a large range of Gluten Free and Vegan options, whilst still catering for the carnivores out there. Much of our food is home-made on site and our knowledgeable team are more than happy to advise and guide your selections. Recently under new ownership we hope to continue and build upon this reputation, including upgrading the decor and coffee offer
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Delicious variety with a personal touch.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

It is very difficult to cater for my husband and I as we have completely different tastes and dietary requirements. I am a vegetarian and I am not eating very much gluten or dairy these days and he is a true meat eater who doesn't like cheese, tomatoes or nuts. The Wild Fig was able to accommodate us both superbly with a delicious variety of choice. We also had a tempremental , fussy eater, 13 year old with us and Simon, the owner was brilliant offering him options that were more suited to a younger persons taste. The food was delivered promptly and presented beautifully. The different flavours were exciting and delicious and there was always something different to try. The Wild Fig has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and as we met other family there it is a great place to have a chat and a catch up. That is actually one of the benefits of sitting quite closely together , you can include all of your party in the conversation easily. Well done to Simon and the team~ a lovely experience with fantastic food and very different to your usual run of the meal restaurant. We will definitely be returning!!
Nik ~ South Devon

• Visited June 2014
Simon D, Owner at The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Nik

It is great to hear your review as it mirrors what a lot of people say, as we try and cater for different tastes (though probably not all). Therefore we like to think we have a good range of food for veggies, carnivores, fussy eaters and for people with allergies.

That is one of the benefits of tapas, little portions means more variety and choices for all to share.

Myself and the rest of the team would love to see you return

Kind regards

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Birthday celebrations”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I met with friends to celebrate 2 birthdays and we had a lovely evening at wild fig. We shared lots of tapas; all vegi and the choice was great. The service was also really good, there was no rush between courses which was very nice as it enabled us to fit in desert as well which topped off the evening. I think I will be a regular customer.

Dear Helen

Thank you for your review, if we'd known we were catering for TWO birthday's we would have been under more pressure than normal!

More and more people are liking the tapas approach, as they can always add more if they feel more hungry or find room for desserts as you seem to have.

You will be a welcome regular visitor and can benefit from one of our loyalty cards.

Regards

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Yum yum in my tum!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My hubby and I decided on celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary here after being recommended by a friend and we're not disappointed. We loved the fact you could have tapas as a main or a starter we did the latter, the main courses where delicious too with amazing flavour combinations I would never had considered and although the portions did not look as much as you would get in a mainstream pub/restaurant they were in fact the perfect size and I left feeling like I'd had enough to eat without feeling completely stuffed. The seating is relaxed and intimate, we felt able to have our own conversations and also chat to the people on the tables either side of us, which added to the atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We are hoping to return again soon and possibly sample more of the tapas.

Dear Emily

Many thanks for your review and I am glad we lived up to your expectations for your wedding anniversary.

We do try and create a different atmosphere with our small place and hope that people like to chat to each other - we even had people this weekend who did not know each other who ended up tasting each other's desserts!

You will be welcome back any time to try some more tapas and flavours

Regards

London
“Hummus - not very funny”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was my first time here, and there were some good things, such as the lunchtime veggie tapas being tasty (although my first 2 choices weren’t available) and the service being friendly, which is hard work when it’s busy in such cramped surroundings. The low rating’s due to the slight ripped-off sensation I had, mainly felt when I questioned how a tiny partition of hummus could be £4.45, especially as the take-away price was around a quarter of that for 100 grams. That’s a big mark up! I only noticed the cost because the total for 3 tapas, plus ‘special breads’ (unfortunately, far less special than I’d expected, but maybe they’d run out) and oil/vinegar (served in same sized container as hummus) and 2 coffees was nearly £20.00. I found out, by looking at the menu, that the hummus should have come with salads and toasts. There’s a chance that the kitchen forgot them but the fact the portion itself was so tiny makes me think it might have been deliberate. After much talk, I was offered the money back, which was nice but not the point (I gave it to the people serving).

• Visited June 2014
Simon D, Owner at The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear CritterLondon

Thank you for your review and I mean that, while I was unaware of your complaint (which I am disappointed my staff didn't inform me about) I know why it might have happened and I take responsibility.

I am very passionate that customers get good value for money and go away happy but despite me mentioning it a few times I did have issues with a couple of undersized portions. I have now taken steps (including one member of staff no longer being part of the team) to make sure that I create all the tapas or if I am not there that the staff do the same as I would expect.

I am really sorry that you were not given what you expected and despite the fact that I was not there I take full responsibility and apologise unreservedly and would welcome you back on any occasion so that we can make right.

We have a great team of people and a largely happy customer base so hopefully we will get the opportunity to show you that it was a blip not the norm!

Kind regards and apologies again

Cheshire, England
“What a suprise”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Firstly this is not somewhere we would of picked to eat at had it not been highly recommend. The appearance of the place does not do the food or the owner justice.
The food was simply delicious and portion size good.
The owner makes everything to order and discusses your personal likes and dislikes before retreating to produce something scrummy.
Nothing is too much trouble for him (sorry but can't recal his name) and he is happy to come over and chat informatively about any of his products or even the surrounding area.
We also like the fact that if a customer were to make a specific request for something different that he likes enough to use on his menu he calls it after that person! How lovely is that.
We shall return if ever in the area again.

Simon D, Owner at The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear CheshireMum

Many thanks for your review. Yes we are small and easy to miss but you've got me thinking about the window display...

I think it is important that people get the lunch they want, so we are happy to adapt the food to their needs or desires. If they come back regularly they could even get their name on the menu, the greatest accolade!

Next time you are in Devon we would love to see you

Si