“Warm and Welcoming”

The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe
Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Totnes
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small team who are passionate in bringing you delicious, locally sourced, freshly prepared food and drink. We specialise in a large range of Gluten Free and Vegan options, whilst still catering for the carnivores out there. Much of our food is home-made on site and our knowledgeable team are more than happy to advise and guide your selections. Recently under new ownership we hope to continue and build upon this reputation, including upgrading the decor and coffee offer
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Seeing that it was number 1 on tripadvisor we decided to try The Wild Fig. I don't need to go into details because all of the other reviews say it already. The service was some of the best we have had anywhere in the world. Just a genuinely nice guy. Restaurant is very small, just 4 small tables. The food was all good. I would recommend a baguette. I normally hate baguettes because they are chewy and cut up the roof of my mouth. These were soft and lovely. Would love to come back for dinner but we were just passing through.

Only down side is there are no toilets.

Simon D, Owner at The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Hi Gordon

Many thanks for the great review and feedback, I remember you guys and hope you had a great whistle stop stay down in Cornwall!

Also pleased we changed your opinion on baguettes.

We do have toilets now, sorry we needed to sort out the back area after it was full of stock and hampers for Christmas but now it is available via the alleyway adjacent to our front door. Sorry if you weren't aware of that, I am sorting out signage now that we've made them available.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in the UK

Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Now open for evening meals which is great news as the food here is seriously good with friendly service and reasonable prices. It's also tiny so not a lot of hubbub. Word is spreading so booking for evenings probably a good idea.

Dear Rikki

Thank you for the great review and glad you were able to enjoy one of our evening meals, the word is definitely spreading but we are still in our first couple of weeks.

Yes, a couple of people have commented on the small intimate nature of our place, we are keeping an eye out for bigger premises but we do like the current atmosphere, it is nice when people on different tables chat to each other!

I hope we see you again soon

Regards

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have never had Tapas before and had no idea what it was. We were talked through the menu expertly and explained just what they were.

We ordered the roast vegitables and the samosa, both were really tasty had tons of flavour. We then had stuff peppers stuffed full of yummy stuff!! A bottle of red (hence not remembering what was in the stuffed peppers) and very plesent chat with the owner who told us of his plans for the Wild Fig and the evening restaurant as it is in it's early stages of opening.

Do pop along and try it out but best book early as it is starting to get busy and only a little place.

We will certainly be going back and taking our friends with us.

Dear Jo

Thank you for the review and I am glad the info on tapas was helpful, not everyone knows how they work so I try and tell everyone to prevent any embarassment.

We've done a couple of variations on stuffed peppers - either stuffed with local beef or green lentils, so not sure which you had.

We'd love to see you back and bring your friends, the more the merrier!

Kind regards

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I came out on a wild,wet and windy night to experience the Wild Fig's new evening menu. What a pleasure it was! We entered as drowned rats to a warm and genuinely friendly welcome and the evening just got better and better. The calamari tapas starters we enjoyed were the best we've ever tasted anywhere. We followed these with a really excellent pheasant stroganoff - cooked to perfection.
The Wild Fig, with Simon at the helm, is a brilliant addition to the Totnes culinary scene. Not just an addition, but a difficult act to follow - so good is the relaxed atmosphere of this small establishment and its insistence on quality. Book yourself a table and see for yourselves, but leave a space for us. We shall certainly be back!

Dear Ian

Thank you for the review. I remember that night and you guys arriving with bags for your waterproofs, thank you making the effort.

We're also glad you enjoyed the food, we are trying to create good food as tapas but also interesting, filling and tasty main courses too - so I am pleased the pheasant stroganoff was a hit.

Hopefully if we see you again, the weather won't be so bad

Regards

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Very good quality coffee, and excellent snack. Coffee well roasted by an Exeter supplier. Very clean. Would revisit.

Simon D, Owner at The Wild Fig Deli & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for the review, we do appreciate every one we get.

I'm glad you liked the coffee, we spent a long time picking the right one and try and keep the beans as fresh as we can, grind them at the last minute and make sure the crema is good!

Thank you for commenting on our cleanliness too. I wouldn't eat in a dirty cafe, so why should I expect others to?

Hopefully we will see you again

Thanks