Totnes Cats Cafe - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Cat lovers paradise

First visit, definitely not the last. Beautiful cats,well cared for and relaxed. Enjoyed a about 1... read more

Reviewed April 16, 2014
jeanval100
Torquay, United Kingdom
So sad this lovely cafe has closed!

I visited the cat cafe last year, Sept 2013*. I loved it! It was a great way to de-stress after a... read more

Reviewed December 31, 2014
CapeTownDi
Cape Town

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our visit was enjoyable, but not the highlight of our visit to Totnes. Of course, cats always do their own thing, but we felt that they weren't interested in being stroked, sitting on your lap, etc, but were interested purely in the tasty titbits. We felt that the quantity of cat treats should be decreased. We understand the regulations saying that all food has to be packaged, which unfortunately led to a less than perfect Devon cafe experience, but that's not their fault. The six or seven cats certainly looked well loved, and had healthy looking coats, and the owner and volunteers are definitely very enthusiastic and dedicated.

Date of experience: October 2013
1  Thank FRoxy
Reviewed October 6, 2013

For cat lovers this is a delightful experience. Happy, friendly cats, delicious cakes and lovely owners. It must be the only cafe in the UK where complete strangers chat to each other and have a laugh as they watch the cats. The other customers and I were surprised that some very rude people thought they could come in just to see the cats without buying a drink.
The cafe is not for profit but they have running costs!
The cats are very happy and greet the customers enthusiastically and it is obvious that cat welfare is very important to the owners, who are a lovely, friendly, caring couple.

Date of experience: September 2013
5  Thank Irene P
Reviewed October 1, 2013

These people are really missing a trick... No children, in a Cafe full of cats... Hmmmm...
Our little girl LOVES cats. We took her there to stroke the animals specifically. But a nasty woman greeted us at the door, scolded us for not coming in properly (!??) and then sent us away with a loud "NO CHILDREN!"
Oh dear.

Date of experience: July 2013
5  Thank MrsC842
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I may be biased, but cats are the best thing. I love the idea of cat cafes, it is perfect for those who cannot keep a cat or just want some feline affection. Unfortunately despite the presence of adorable cats and very dedicated staff, the cafe itself needs some further thought. There are no fresh cakes which is a real problem for a cafe competing in Totnes. I am not at all convinced by the display of cards and cat souvenirs in the window, which just makes it difficult to look inside and see the cats. However, the most urgent problem is the furniture. Two metal framed chairs look like they have come straight from an NHS waiting room and there is a giant corner sofa which takes up much of the front of the cafe but in reality can only sit two people. I am desperate for this place to work and survive and I would definitely encourage animal lovers to go, but I fear without a revamp it's not going to make it in the harsh world of Totnes hospitality.

Date of experience: September 2013
5  Thank thepusseycat
Reviewed August 25, 2013

A great place to relax, have a cup of tea and play with the cats! It is open from Tuesday to Saturday and there are 6 cats to play with. The volunteers are very friendly and so are the cats! There is going to be some research there about how cats and humans interact. They have identified 18 CATegories of people who visit! No children allowed but I strongly recommend a visit. A truly eccentric experience and one of many places to enjoy in Totnes, especially if you like cats!

Date of experience: August 2013