“One of the best I've visited”

cafe mumbai restaurant
Ranked #52 of 97 Restaurants in Totnes
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dawlish
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best I've visited”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Taken by a friend who had been before. An excellent experience, excellent food, some of the best I have had for a long time, clean, good service. In my opinion above average. Four of us went, all tried something different and everyone was well pleased.

Visited November 2013

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Two of us and my daughter had a great meal on a wet Wednesday night. The restaurant was fairly busy and there was a nice atmosphere. Service was quite quick. The rice and nan breads were very good along with the starters. Portions of the mains were genorous - almost too much. The service was good but would have been nice if the waiter had smiled a little. A very nice evening with good food although a little over priced but I guess that is Totnes

London, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I agree with previous reviews, what Totnes needs is another, one or two 'Indian' restaurants to open up, preferably one's with experience of operating in say, London or Birmingham, where quality and service at the right price is paramount for survival.This would shake up both the sub-standard ones' in the town.

I convinced my partner, to try this restaurant and that it was shades better then the other Totnes 'Indian', the awful Balti King. Sadly I was wrong,OK the meal was better,just,but the dining experience just as poor.
I had a Chicken Tikka Byriani, which was OK, and reasonably priced. My partner had Mint Chicken, which was expensive and over-priced, being no more then a few pieces of Chicken in a slop of a sauce.

The waiting staff were indifferent and lacked any warmth, coupled with a dozy,miserable,sour faced girl who was perched behind a counter just to serve drinks.
Their lack of professionalism, laughable.

We also made the mistake, of not being able to have a table away from the 'corridor' of a constant stream of take-away customers. They brought in the cold, the cigarette smell on their clothes and in some cases their drunken attitude. We then had to suffer them, as whilst they awaiting their take-away's,they glared at the diners, Not pleasant at all.
Why doesn't the restaurant have a seating area by the front door,to avoid this constant unpleasant intrusion.

The best advice if you want a decent 'Indian' meal,you would be better making the effort to go to say, Torquay of Newton Abbot, where the competition, makes for better quality, service and price.
To prove this,three of us had a curry in Torquay,earlier this week, and the price for much better meals, was much less then we paid for two at the Mumbai

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fair curry prices good”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have eaten in Cafe Mumbai a couple of times, which is a good advert in itself. And yes would go back and eat.I have had better Indian food but this hits the mark for somewhere local that serves a decent curry. There always seems to be plenty of people around even during the week so there atmosphere is good. Food comes out in good time but otherwise service is a bit slow.

Totnes, United Kingdom
“Low grade curry”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Sadly there's still nowhere to get a decent Indian in Totnes and the new owners of this place certainly haven't changed that. Six pounds buys you a basic chicken curry and believe me it is! 8 cubes of mechanically reformed cardboard chicken floating in a generic sloppy curry sauce with no deserable ingredients and a strong taste of flavour enhancing additives. Lamb tikka birianni was somewhat better with tiny flakes of actual lamb, poor value at best.
Don't waste your money is my firm opinion and hope someone better takes it over in the future.

• Visited September 2013