“Perfect Traditional Tea Room”
Review of Greys Tearooms

Greys Tearooms
Ranked #37 of 99 Restaurants in Totnes
Cuisines: British
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The cream teas here are to die for, with loads of jam and cream. As for the cakes - well what a choice! It's such a popular tea room that it's always busy and has a lovely atmosphere. Service is always very efficient.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Best chocolate cake ever. Friendly owner , quant and charming place. I have been back several times and will go again. I love this place.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

For some time I have wanted to venture into this Tea Room, it looks very unusual both outside and in, you could call it "high camp" but I don't mean that in any derogatory sense.

The Tea Room had just opened on a particularly cold morning with temperatures hovering around zero, Just to reassure us I asked politely if the radiator next to our table was perhaps in the throes of coming on? To my astonishment I was met with a curt "NO!" (because it gets too hot). I would have suggested that the proprietor invested in a thermostat, or if there was a problem with that particular table at least offered us a warmer seat elsewhere, but did not want to spoil the morning a make a scene. My friend and I ordered a cream Tea. In accordance with the general ambience of the place, Leaf Tea was served in a delightful old fashioned large silver Tea pot with accessories to match, there was plenty of fresh Devon cream and a choice of two jams. The scones however were only mini scones and I have certainly tasted better and for far less money. In short I would say that you are paying for the character of the Tea Rooms. With such unprofessional and unwelcoming service, I will not be returning or recommending the place to others.

1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I have been going there on and off for years. No other place compares in the county as far as the cakes are concerned. The selection is amazing and I have never been disappointed. Nice cosy setting, if a little cramped. However, the downside is that you are not made to feel very welcome. Several friends have also commented on this fact. I think they have become complacent because they know they have the best cakes for miles around.

Grays - if you read this, please try and greet people with a smile and make them feel welcome. We are spending our hard earned cash at your establishment and do not appreciate being treated with such indifference.

2  Thank Susan L
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Love this place. Cakes are to die for and if you like cheese scones try them here I promise you have not tasted better anywhere else