“Could be better”
Review of La Fourchette Brasserie - CLOSED

La Fourchette Brasserie
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Fourchette is the perfect venue for an informal dinner with friends, a long lazy lunch or that special occasion in the Gallery Dining Room overlooking the ground floor bistro and bar.With BBC Masterchef James Featherstone leading the kitchen it's no suprise our excellent food and wines see us consistently voted best restaurant and nominated for Gordon Ramsays Best Restaurant two years running.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Liked the look of La Fourchette and were looking for somewhere for a coffee and hot chocolate at lunchtime. Not the friendliest of welcomes - not particularly busy but no greeting or encouraging smile and with no menu on the table nor table service apparently on offer it was a bit of guess work about what was available. Maybe a menu on the table might have encouraged us to eat as well! Ordered hot chocolate to be told, in what i thought was a rather patronising way, that they did not serve powdered hot chocolate but a continental style liquid chocolate served with cream - maybe we didn't look sophisticated enough, maybe because we had our two teenagers and a 10 yr old with us or maybe I was being over sensitive.

However, when the drinks arrived they were beautifully presented in the continental style on a small wooden board with iced water. It was absolutely gorgeous and we all loved it.

This could be a fantastic place as it is a pleasant restaurant with the food we saw looking very good. The staff were not rude nor unpleasant nor unfriendly but just not very welcoming or personable which is a shame because this really is what would make the difference.

One final comment is that the temperature was also a bit cool and we had to keep coats on. It was a cold day but there didn't seem to be any heating.

Oh dear, I am really sorry I can't be more positive but hopefully this will be seen as constructive feedback and if we visit again will be able to give a rating of 4 or 5.

2  Thank Laurence F

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm nine years old and I go to Totnes frequently with my family. I came here with my brother and mum and the food came very quickly and was very tasty. I had pizza which was quite big so it filled me up. As soon as we got there it was very busy and there wasn't much room so I advise you book. They also had my favourite drink from france which is orangina and I was very happy about that.

Great French food

1  Thank HarryGFC9
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Had duck which was good. Also veggies burger which was overpriced, bland, dry and pretty tasteless. I think you need to be careful with what you choose on the menu

5  Thank Richmond-Helen
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Visited Titned briefly whilst holidaying in the area. Looked for somewhere for a late lunch and came across La Fourchette. Liked the French looking inside which drew us in.

Lovely wooden wall panelling, floorboards and a great bar, all very gaelic looking.

Ordered the steak baguette and a Croquet Vegetarian. Both served on wooden carving boards which seems to be all the rage at the moment.

Both meals were delicious and would love to come back for an evening meal.

1  Thank Paul_Thomas_UK
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Firstly don't believe the website. We booked on the strength of it but during discussions about the lack of beer it turns out they lost (or never properly tried to gain) control of it when the ownership changed a year ago. However the contact details are correct and James Featherstone is still the chef.

Our experience:

Beer (the reason we arrived early) None of the wonderful beers featured on the website or on the wall posters are available. The only beer sold is Stella (the ghastly UK chemical copy thereof) and no bottled beers, ciders or perrys either. Settled on a G&T

Service - poor. Waited well over 20 minutes for someone to take our drinks order. Bye bye G&T.

Wine - ridiculously expensive wine list. Took a couple of attempts to find a reasonable priced bottle they actually had in stock.

Food - they (partly) redeemed themselves here. It was good, although could have done with the food menu on arrival to while away the wait.

3  Thank JCtisMe