“Good value and food”
Review of La Fourchette Brasserie - CLOSED

La Fourchette Brasserie
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: La Fourchette is the perfect venue for an informal dinner with friends, a long lazy lunch or that special occasion in the Gallery Dining Room overlooking the ground floor bistro and bar.With BBC Masterchef James Featherstone leading the kitchen it's no suprise our excellent food and wines see us consistently voted best restaurant and nominated for Gordon Ramsays Best Restaurant two years running.
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The restaurant is situated in the centre of Totnes on the steep mainstreet. The decor is basic with bare wood tables and wood floor.
The service was good and prompt and you can see the chef and assistants at the back of the restaurant. The menu offers a set list, a la carte and a few extra specials. The portions were satisfying and the food well cooked. It is a good middle of the road restaurant.
Everyone was happy with the value.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We researched La Fourchette as there are a number of eating places in Totnes and this came out rather well. Unfortunately we felt the restaurant was average at best. For a start the red wine was oxidised - I'm not connoisseur but I can tell when it's been open for a while. The menu was quite extensive and I plumped for the mediterranean salad followed by the lamb. The salad was okay, nothing to write home about but the lamb was absolutely delicious. My husband [Richard] had fish soup which was well presented - soup with croutons and a little bowl of cheese on the side all served on a wooden board. Richard thought the soup was okay but lacked any depth of flavour. He had mussels for main which he felt were okay - he had mussels several times this week and these weren't the best. Probably our biggest bug bear was the level of service which was very, very slow despite the restaurant being far from busy. We sat downstairs which was approximately half full but there appeared to be a whole upper level which when we were there was empty but I can't imagine how the service would hold up if the restaurant was operating at full capacity.

6  Thank Stephanie B
TotnesFood, Owner at La Fourchette Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Many thanks for clarifying your visit with me. Unfortunately this was the only evening of the summer we had a single chef, and as you noted to me, your waitress was superb. Everything we serve is prepared and cooked from fresh and to order in our open theatre kitchen which I hope you enjoyed. Apologies if it too a little longer than you and we would have liked.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Went to this restaurant with the other half on a recent trip to Totnes. Found both the food and service to be excellent. I had the steak onglet, it was cooked perfectly, the Mrs had a seafood linguine which was outstanding. We had the mussels to start and I have to say they were superior to ones I have had in Bruges a few months earlier. For dessert we had a brownie and beetroot ice cream (it really is better than it sounds). Service was impeccable and the price very reasonable for the quality of food.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We've eaten here twice and both times Madeleine Peroux has been playing in the background and the food has been delicious. Our only comment would be, the starters always blow us away, the mains are very good but the puddings, well, we now know not to bother, we're too full by then anyway. Highly recommend this place. The service is also very friendly.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Well placed in totnes reasonably priced excellent food