“Fabulous. Friendly. Faultless!”

Ranked #2 of 349 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant within easy walking distance of Torquay harbour, offering modern British-European cuisine using fresh local produce. A single seating policy allows you to relax and enjoy your evening without feeling rushed.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Overnight visit from London to scatter mum's ashes and collect belongings from nursing home. Did much online research to find appropriate restaurant for dinner. Search is over! This is a wonderful place. Top quality all round, welcoming, friendly, the MOST delicious food & wine, great attention to detail, lovely ambience, wonderful service, professional, warm, unpretentious - its just fabulous and very good value indeed considering what you get - it really is! One of the best places I've ever visited in 25 years of dining out in London (and I'm quite demanding!) The Orange Tree beats London restaurants into a cocked hat. Absolutely faultless. Extraordinary. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Very highly recommended. Sharon, Bernd, & all the staff, thank you hugely for everything. Wish I'd found you before now.

There are newer reviews for The Orange Tree Restaurant

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Came here for a family meal. The food was beautiful. However bear in mind it will probably be quantity over quality which some people aren't fond of. However we perfectly enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend a visit and will definitely be returning.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We opted to visit the Orange Tree during our visit to Torquay due the reviews on Trip Advisor. We rang and booked a table a week before our visit.

We were greeted warmly when we walked through the door and coats taken. We were shown to our table and menus given. On the table there were some pitted Olives to eat whilst we looked over the menu. We had pre dinner drinks of Peroni and continued to look through the menu. We were also given a choice of a selection of breads.

For starter I opted for the pan-seared fillet of Sea bass with sautéed Leeks and brown shrimps and saffron Vinaigrette. My husband Brixham Crab bisque flavoured with Tomato, Fennel and Tarragon served with pan-seared King Scallops. Both dishes were cooked to perfection and were the best part of the meal. The ingredients sang on the plate. We would highly recommend both dishes.

We both opted for the Supreme of ‘Creedy Carver’ Chicken for mains, which was oven roasted supreme of free range chicken with rosemary and butternut squash puree, smoked Pancetta and cider jus. I thoroughly enjoyed my main but felt that the chicken could have had a little more flavour and that the smoked pancetta was a little dry, this could have been wrapped around the chicken instead? The chicken was perfectly cooked and served with potatoes, vegetables and a lovely scallion mash.

For desert my husband opted for Home-made Lemon Sorbet with Raspberry Coulis and Peppermint Marshmallows and I chose the Dark Belgian Chocolate Mousse on a crisp Coconut Daquoise with Mango Sorbet and Coconut Panna Cotta. The coconut and chocolate worked really well together but felt that the Mango had no place on the plate. We had a cognac and pink port with the desert.

When you get the bill you are given handmade chocolates, which I thought was a really nice touch.

The service is excellent and attentive. We could not fault the service throughout the evening.

For the pre-dinner drinks, starter, main course, desert, a bottle of Prosecco and after dinner drinks. The bill came to £105.

1  Thank GemmaK1984
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My sister and I had a truly delicious meal here. We asked for mains as starters and vice versa; this was absolutely no problem at all and they happily obliged.
We enjoyed delicious olives and homemade bread which were replenished as often as we wanted. The atmosphere was attentive but not intrusive, comfortable, relaxed and unhurried. What a joy to have proper linen cloths and napkins instead of 'formica' type tables!!
We shared a trio of desserts which were sublime and the complimentary petits fours were very good.
Definitely recommend The Orange Tree!

1  Thank Clare M
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had eaten at this place some years ago which was a nice experience but for various reasons we had not been back. Decided to revisit during a recent stay & we were not disappointed. A Saturday night & it was busy but we could not fault the service or the food. Top class in all departments. One of the nicest restaurant meals I have ever had.