“Good food, service could have been much better.”
Review of Angels

Angels
Ranked #19 of 347 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A little taste of heaven in a beautiful part of Devon! Angels is a perfect place for Devonshire Cream Tea looking onto the seafront in Babbacombe. Very popular with the locals and recommended to holiday makers.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good food, service could have been much better.”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Came here in March, the tearoom was busy (it usually is!). The table hadn't been cleaned from the people before us.

It took quite a while for anyone to notice us and take our orders, when were were informed it would be a 40 min wait for anything (including drinks and ready prepared food such as cake).

We ordered drinks anyway in the hope they might be quicker- They were; it came out in less than 10 mins. It was quite disappointing to be told the wrong information as we changed our orders based on this and didn't order food. The table next to us had their scones brought out in 15 mins from ordering. Although I'd rather be told about a wait than not be told, it was frustrating.

The drinks were of a really good standard and my friends who've been before said food and drink is consistently good, but they also commented the service could be improved on previous occasions and that it often seemed under staffed. These comments on service seem to be echoed on tripadvisor too.

Booking ahead is a must on sunny days and weekends/bank holidays.

If they could get another member of staff or two on to help with the service it think it could be a brilliant place. Unfortunately good food/drinks and location won't be anything without decent service.

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best Cream Tea”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just got back from a week in the South West. Have to say that this was the best cream tea that we had. The scones were perfect (I'm an expert :) ) and the cream and jam plentiful. In fact I asked for more cream as we were a bit greedy and it was supplied with a smile and no extra cost. Tea made with tea leaves was an added bonus. The place was very busy (we were lucky to get in) so maybe best to ring and book. Other customers were eating afternoon tea with what looked to be wonderful sandwiches. I will most certainly be making my way back when I am next in Torquay.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Clokraw
“Just lovely!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Went to Angels for my friend's 60th birthday surprise. There were 8 of us and we had a lovely relaxed afternoon. The choice is huge - most of us chose the cherub tea which is a round of sandwiches and one scone with cream and jam plus a pot of tea. W were able to have more cream, jam, hot water etc at no extra charge. The bill was very reasonable too.

• Visited April 2014
Test Valley
“different scones”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Went in may 2013 after walking coast path from Teignmouth. had cream tea and tried ginger scones with pear/ginger conserve. Different scones made a lovely change to the more traditional. Found them to be light and fluffy and plenty of cream.Saw their traditional tea brought out to another table with sandwiches, cakes, scones and cinnamon toast ..looked amazing and comments overheard were that it was all very delicious. Have been here before and is generally busy even out of season. lovely vintage china, teapot etc. had 7 cups of tea from our pot so very good value. will always call here when in Babbacombe.

• Visited May 2013
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed and in no hurry to return!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I took my mum for Mother's Day and we were both very disappointed and are in no hurry to return. Yes, the afternoon tea we had was lovely and you cannot fault the food, however the customer service is severely lacking. The tables are not clean from the customers before you, and the staff (some, not all) are just plain rude. I was sat less than 2 feet from the door, as they seem to be trying to pack the tables in, and don't seem to worry that there simply isn't the room for all the people. This was made worse by a member of staff repeatedly slamming the door closed with his foot, therefore making it nearly impossible to hold a conversation with my mum who was only sat across the table from me, because the noise of the door crashing, the glass in it shaking in its frame and the decorative angel on the door chiming! In the 1hour I was there I heard 3 other customers complaining to their fellow diners about the customer service and rudeness of the staff. (Or one particular member of staff, who unfortunately seemed to running the tea room) I feel that customers are not valued as they are a busy tea room and just want to get you in and out the door as quickly as possible.

• Visited March 2014