“Angels cream teas”

Angels
Ranked #22 of 351 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A little taste of heaven in a beautiful part of Devon! Angels is a perfect place for Devonshire Cream Tea looking onto the seafront in Babbacombe. Very popular with the locals and recommended to holiday makers.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My friend visiting from U S A really wanted a Devon cream tea so it had to be Angels since I have eaten there previously. Everything was perfect a pot of tea for 2( sadly, no decaf) warm scones with choice of jams ,we chose pear and ginger with ginger scones. Yummy the service was superb .we started outside in the garden but transferred inside when it got chilly. My friend is a great chatterer and the staff answered all her questions and provided the kind of service she said she would not get in her home town . I love the atmosphere and decor of Angels especially the outside eating area which is cosy and secluded.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We recently visited Angel’s tea parlour for the first time in many years. We found it to almost unchanged which was very nice. We sat down at table only to be informed that this table was reserved in one hour so we promptly moved to an adjacent table. We ordered cream teas, these were delivered quite promptly afterwards. We enjoyed the teas very much the only thing I believe this tea room could improve upon is to be a little better organised.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have been visiting Angels for the last few years & I thought it a good idea to write a review this time. In the past the service & food outstanding. On our most recent visit the food again was outstanding, cherubs tea; sandwich filled with mozzarella, pesto & tomato & scone,served with two kinds of home-made jam and a pot of clotted cream & tea/coffee, full English breakfast and a bowl of cheesy chips - excellent portions and value for money. However on this visit I would point out that we had to help ourselves to the menus and did have a 5 minute wait before our order was taken although this did not hinder the visit & could understand as it was very busy. Ideal for dog owners. I would highly recommend a visit & booking is definitely essential, the setting is really picturesque and the decoration is beautiful with a lovely vintage feel.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Having visited Angels a few weeks before whilst my partner was at a local football match and enjoyed my visit I thought it would be nice to return together, which was yestrday - 4 May. Please bear in mind when reading this that we travelled from Bristol especially !! I had rung 2 weeks previously to book a table as it is a very busy little place I wanted to book for 4pm but was asked if 4.30 would be ok - no problem. Due to traffic we were running about 5 minutes late so rang to advise them, when we arrived the staff seemed very flustered and didn't appear to have a table reserved for us (only 2) and had to look round and hurriedly get one ready. We had to wait a little time for the menus to arrive and then eventually for our order to be taken. Having taken the first part of our order (Angelic Full Tea - 2 sandwiches, cinnamon toast, 2 scones with jam & cream and a slice of cake for 2 to share £18) The waitress left the table without an explanation and we were left wondering if we were going to get a choice of sandwiches etc. she returned a few minutes later - after answering the phone when there were other members of staff at the counter who could of done this to say that the previous order for our table had not cleared from her electronic device. We picked our sandwich fillings, choice of scone and I wanted Victoria sandwich as my choice of cake but my partner wanted carrot cake - oh no only 1 slice of cake allowed. Tea or coffee was the next question but no choice of tea was asked - what we received was very nice but a choice would of been better or an explanation that it was the house tea. Again she left quickly and I was too embarrassed to ask if we would get a choice if jams or just get what we were given. After about 5 minutes another waitress approached our table and asked if we had menus - by this point we had been sat there about 20 minutes - I informed her that we had already ordered. Our food arrived quite quickly and we were given 2 jams strawberry and black current neither of which I particularly like but again was too embarrassed to ask to change. Everything was too hurried and I didn't see anyone smiling ! We felt hurried and it was obvious that we were some of the last customers for the afternoon as whilst we were still eating they were preparing the tables for the evening or maybe the next day. Food was excellent but there needs to be some staff training in hospitality. What we believe to be the owner was clearing the tables at the front of the establishment as we were leaving and didn't thank us for our visit or acknowledge us in anyway, neither did any of the other staff even when paying the bill.

3  Thank Ann G
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had cream tea. It was good.
What I liked about this place was the atmosphere. Cozzy and nice to see various pots and tea cups :)