“special venue”

Orchid Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2012

wonderful for special occasions, staff and food always excellent, and one of the best views in the bay.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Marvellous food and location but very tired looking decor. We found the food excellent in every way. The service was enthusiastic but rather amateurish and the ambience very ordinary. There was no getting away from the fact that however good the food was it was being served in three star surroundings which took the edge off the evening.

Incidentally I've just read the review of anon9982. My comiserations to you Sir. I find your experience and their wholly inadequate attempts to deal with your justified complaint extraordinary.

1  Thank Micky_Mayer
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Going to the orchid is like stepping back 40 yes. Needs redecorating and bringing into the 21st century. Food was okay but nothing special and not worth the money. View is unbeatable though but not enough to make us go back.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

As a regular patron of the Orchid I must admit that for a long time I have become very complacent and relied on the chefs to provide me with sufficient varieties of my favourite dishes, so that I did not really looked at other things available on the menu.
On my 1st visit in July I actually looked at the menu more closely and found other dishes to try. I started with Marinated Salmon, Cucumber, Oyster Beignet, Horseradish Cream. I found the combination of taste complemented each other very well but if I'm honest I would have been very happy just to have several of the Oyster Beignets as they were delicious
When I was reading the menu I heard the gentleman at an ajoining table tell the waiter he had eaten the best chicken he had ever tasted, so I decided to try it myself. The man was correct it was also the best chicken I hade ever tasted. The accompanying "Boudin Noir" was very good, but why give "Black Pudding" another name, the garlick potatoes were nice but peas under any name I find not to my taste.
It is almost a tradition at the Orchid that my wife & I have Summer Berry, Cointreau Clafoutis & Raspberry Sorbet as our pudding, this often being prepared for us even when it is not on the menu, so I think I suprised the kitchen by ordering Lemongrass & Stem Ginger Pannacotta with British Raspberries & Shortbread. This dessert was delicious with the stem ginger given an added bite to the normally quite bland pannacotta
Throughout the evening the service was excellent from being greeted at the hotel entrance on arrival to being shown to my taxi on departure
The atmosphere and ambience of the Orchid suit me very well although I must admit that when I'm accompanied by my daughters they always say it needs brightening up.
I enjoyed all my 3 courses and in future I'll always read the menu more thouroughly

2  Thank bigjim99
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Dined last night at the end of our holiday and we certainly saved the best till last. From the moment we arrived the service was first class . Canapes in the lovely bar and then onto the restaurant on the 1st floor . The views across Torbay from our table were fantastic as was the meal that followed. Every dish was a delight and again the service was of the highest standard .We will certainly visit again when we return in October.

1  Thank hreshe