“In need of updating but great view.”
Review of Orchid Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Orchid Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Going to the orchid is like stepping back 40 yes. Needs redecorating and bringing into the 21st century. Food was okay but nothing special and not worth the money. View is unbeatable though but not enough to make us go back.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

As a regular patron of the Orchid I must admit that for a long time I have become very complacent and relied on the chefs to provide me with sufficient varieties of my favourite dishes, so that I did not really looked at other things available on the menu.
On my 1st visit in July I actually looked at the menu more closely and found other dishes to try. I started with Marinated Salmon, Cucumber, Oyster Beignet, Horseradish Cream. I found the combination of taste complemented each other very well but if I'm honest I would have been very happy just to have several of the Oyster Beignets as they were delicious
When I was reading the menu I heard the gentleman at an ajoining table tell the waiter he had eaten the best chicken he had ever tasted, so I decided to try it myself. The man was correct it was also the best chicken I hade ever tasted. The accompanying "Boudin Noir" was very good, but why give "Black Pudding" another name, the garlick potatoes were nice but peas under any name I find not to my taste.
It is almost a tradition at the Orchid that my wife & I have Summer Berry, Cointreau Clafoutis & Raspberry Sorbet as our pudding, this often being prepared for us even when it is not on the menu, so I think I suprised the kitchen by ordering Lemongrass & Stem Ginger Pannacotta with British Raspberries & Shortbread. This dessert was delicious with the stem ginger given an added bite to the normally quite bland pannacotta
Throughout the evening the service was excellent from being greeted at the hotel entrance on arrival to being shown to my taxi on departure
The atmosphere and ambience of the Orchid suit me very well although I must admit that when I'm accompanied by my daughters they always say it needs brightening up.
I enjoyed all my 3 courses and in future I'll always read the menu more thouroughly

2  Thank bigjim99
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Dined last night at the end of our holiday and we certainly saved the best till last. From the moment we arrived the service was first class . Canapes in the lovely bar and then onto the restaurant on the 1st floor . The views across Torbay from our table were fantastic as was the meal that followed. Every dish was a delight and again the service was of the highest standard .We will certainly visit again when we return in October.

1  Thank hreshe
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We went to the Orchid on our last night of a short break in Torquay as had seen the rosette rating and read excellent reviews so were looking forward to fantastic food and service. The food was pleasant but I am surprised it was good enough to be awarded 3 rosettes and I had an appalling experience where I was served pork as a part of a fish main course when it wasn't stated that it came with this on the menu....Unfortunately for the restaurant this was a major problem and very upsetting to me as I am Jewish and therefore can't eat pork so to be served it and have subsequently eaten some of it before I realised what it was ruined my meal and entire evening. I understand that mistakes happen but I feel that a mistake of this magnitude which causes upset to someone and goes against their religious views should be handled well and some effort should be made to compensate. Unfortunately this is not how it was handled...we were given a complimentary liqueur-apparently they considered this to be addequate as an apology for what had happened(?!!!) When we requested the bill we were stunned to find all of the meal had been charged for, even including the offending fish containing the pork. My partner dealt with the situation and after a discussion my meal was begrudgingly taken off the bill. I felt compelled to write a review to warn others about the service as I was genuinely shocked that a restaurant of this supposed calibre lets itself down with well below adequate service. It is safe to say we will not be returning EVER and I find their attitude to customer service incredibly patronising and insulting. Unless they learn to treat their customers with more respect and redecorate the very drab and putdated interior I highly doubt they will get away with the prices they charge for much longer.

3  Thank anon9982
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had a wonderful meal at the Orchid. Wonderful setting, an interesting and different menu with excellent service. Price is on the expensive side but well worth it for a special occasion or a romantic meal. Just planning another visit when we are in Torquay in july.

1  Thank Ali264163