“Very dissapofinting......beware you may not get what it says on the menu...”
Review of Orchid Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very dissapofinting......beware you may not get what it says on the menu...”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We went to the Orchid on our last night of a short break in Torquay as had seen the rosette rating and read excellent reviews so were looking forward to fantastic food and service. The food was pleasant but I am surprised it was good enough to be awarded 3 rosettes and I had an appalling experience where I was served pork as a part of a fish main course when it wasn't stated that it came with this on the menu....Unfortunately for the restaurant this was a major problem and very upsetting to me as I am Jewish and therefore can't eat pork so to be served it and have subsequently eaten some of it before I realised what it was ruined my meal and entire evening. I understand that mistakes happen but I feel that a mistake of this magnitude which causes upset to someone and goes against their religious views should be handled well and some effort should be made to compensate. Unfortunately this is not how it was handled...we were given a complimentary liqueur-apparently they considered this to be addequate as an apology for what had happened(?!!!) When we requested the bill we were stunned to find all of the meal had been charged for, even including the offending fish containing the pork. My partner dealt with the situation and after a discussion my meal was begrudgingly taken off the bill. I felt compelled to write a review to warn others about the service as I was genuinely shocked that a restaurant of this supposed calibre lets itself down with well below adequate service. It is safe to say we will not be returning EVER and I find their attitude to customer service incredibly patronising and insulting. Unless they learn to treat their customers with more respect and redecorate the very drab and putdated interior I highly doubt they will get away with the prices they charge for much longer.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank anon9982

Newport, United Kingdom
“Looking forward to another visit”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had a wonderful meal at the Orchid. Wonderful setting, an interesting and different menu with excellent service. Price is on the expensive side but well worth it for a special occasion or a romantic meal. Just planning another visit when we are in Torquay in july.

• Visited August 2010
1 Thank Ali264163
“The foods the star”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We had a business dinner on a tuesday night, we tried to book for 8.30 but they had no tables. Guess what, 12 covers and no diners after our table at 7.30!
Please do not expect any luxury with this hotel, just some of the best food you will eat, what a fantastic surprise in Torquay!!!!!

Torquay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service. Tired decor that needs updating”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We have eaten here several times. It is one of our favourite restaurants. One of the few meals I have had where I have wanted to meet the chef and thank them for such good food.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank Becsgreen
Bristol
“Superb!!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We were recently fortunate enough to attend a family wedding at the Corbyn Hotel and have exclusive use of the Orchid Restaurant.
My expectations of "wedding" food are normally quite low, however the Orchid has completely raised the bar!!
It was nothing short of superb!! The food was absolutely delicious, and the staff could not have been more attentive. A special mention must be made of the cheesecake - as light as a feather, and the best dessert I have ever eaten!!
Please don't judge this restaurant by the decor in the rest of the hotel - the Orchid is light, airy, elegant, and with the most amazing views!
I cannot believe you would get better food anywhere else in Torquay, so a huge thank you to the staff, the manager, and of course the chef, for a truly fantastic & memorable meal!!