“Lovely Christmas”
Review of The Regina Hotel

The Regina Hotel
Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Spent a lovely Christmas at The Regina Hotel,okay some of the rooms need a little improvement
what Hotel doesn't? The food was very good with something to please everyone.The Manager and
staff were outstanding all giving 110% and making every guest feel special.It was a Christmas with
all the trimmings,my friend and i will certainly be returning.WELL DONE REGINA HOTEL and
ALPHA TRAVEL.

Room Tip: higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank shewell1

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have just arrived home after a 4 nights Turkey &Tinsel arranged by Alfa Travel.Had a lovely holiday,the coach,hotel staff and food excellent,I would say 5star.The hotel however is showing signs of requiring a lick of paint,other than that,brilliant.This was my second holiday with Alfa Travel within two months.I have already booked two more for early 2014- cannot be bad. Gordon R

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Gordon R
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was shocked by the nastiness of the manager at this hotel and how he talked to the older customers, it was nothing short of bullying. The meals times were rigid and because we were 10 mins. late for breakfast he told us we could not have a starter because we were late and when I questioned it he told me there was no cereals left nor yogurt and we could have a cooked breakfast and nothing else. The He made the other 2 people at the table wait for us before they could order their breakfast and shouted at them when they queried it. If it had been in an old peoples home he there would have been an investigation it was that bat bad. The people on the next table were told they had to wait for the other people to come before they were served and they had been sat with strangers and the man protested very loudly and was eventually served. This is only an example of his attitude and his totally not suitable to be in a potion of management because he is megalomaniac and it has clearly gone to his head. God help the staff if they make a mistake. Most of the staff were nice but altogether their was a patronising attitude towards older people they treated us as if we were senile. I am 69 years and have very high IQ but , like the rest of the people ,was treated as if I was going senile. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone while he is in charge and will be making a very strong complaint to Alpha travel on Monday for putting me in this position The manager I am talking about is called Bartak I am surprised he can treat people in this way

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Aileen Q
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I returned today from a holiday to the Regina.
Before I came on to write my review I read the previous ones so that I could give a balanced opinion.

So.................................
I stayed in room 7 so maybe I had a better room experience than other people.
Sitting at the window overlooking the harbour was lovely.
The bed...decoration...bathroom were all fine.
I have stayed in 'posher' places, but we should all remember what excellent value Alfa holidays are.

Other more expensive hotels don't always give you the service you get in this place.
The staff are such lovable people.
They work their little socks off...and always with a great big smile.
They give 100% and I thank them so much for doing that.

The food.........
I'd have trouble finding much to complain about.
There was enough choice that I'm sure the pickiest of people could find something.
I never had a problem with the quality of the produce they used.
The one thing that did make me giggle was the piece of blue cheese every night.
I'm a cheese maniac so had that as dessert every evening.
Now come on Regina!
I've never found any other place that gives you a half inch square of any cheese!
What's that all about?
Do you not think Alfa people will like blue cheese????
That is just a jokey complaint though as I got plenty of other cheese.

Entertainment.............
What fantastic people you've got!
Can't remember their names, but they were all good.
I was a bit disappointed about the dance floor layout on the first night...who can dance on a hankerchief sized floor?
I was cheeky and mentioned it though...and hey presto, the following night tables had been moved back.
You see...people at this hotel listen.

Thank you Bart and your lovely team.
Long may you continue treating guests as you do.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank jjctay
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Have just returned from a Week-end break at the "Hotel Regina" in Torquay , hotel was well situated and had friendly staff only to eager to please, the food was quiet good , and served by polite and friendly staff . room was clean and attended every day but the bathroom was in need of refurbishment ..needed grouting and new flooring , window had no blind or curtain we were in room 14 as there were 3 of us and was only room with 3 single beds
The Reginas staff are what makes the stay there a pleasure ...please update your rooms..and decorate to a modern standard...all in all a plesant stay .x

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Chris I
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in room 54 from 12th - 16th. October with Alfa Holidays. The room was clean and more than warm enough, although the bathroom was very cramped making it difficult to avoid hitting your elbows on the walls when drying after a shower. The small glass shelf in the bathroom was on a bit of a slant, things easily fell off! The lock on the bathroom door was a bit 'iffy' and best left unused.
The first night (Saturday) sleep quality was poor, there was a constant low frequency thumping noise from some disco type music. Matters were made worse by someone tipping a large quantity of empty bottles into a bin with a loud crash repeatedly thoughout the night. There was also some shouting. This was not a problem other nights for the rest of our stay.
Food was great throughout and restaurant service excellent. But here was my problem, in the restaurant. The hotel information states there is "no formal dress code" but one is asked to "avoid excessive informality". My companion on this trip has mental health problems and likes to wear a baseball cap. He was asked (good as told in fact) in front of other guests to remove this. We have stayed three times at another Leisureplex hotel and this has not been an issue. I would question whether a baseball cap should be considered EXCESSIVE informaility? In any case the matter could have been dealt with more sensitively by a quiet word with me prior to further restaurant visits. As far as I was aware, nobody had complained.
The bars were good and Davis was a hard working guy coping well on his own much of the time, he was particularly good fun during the two evening bingo sessions which we thoroughly enjoyed. Even if bingo is not your thing, the session is only brief, during the inteval in the main entertainment, and is just a bit of fun. The main entertainment was fine, all be it a bit loud at times, Jillie was terrific and a must to see, brilliant.
The location of this hotel is just about as perfect as it gets. Directly opposite the harbour and a short walk from town.
We are already talking about repeating the visit next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Christopher A
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My mum and myself have just returned from a 7 day break with Alfa to The Regina Hotel, after reading some of the reviews i was very uncertain as to what we may find, however we have really enjoyed the stay there, yes the rooms need updating and also the hallways,but that apart the staff were so lovely and helpful, the manager was brilliant, the food was just devine, also our coach driver Dave was great too. We have booked a return trip for Oct next year.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep book a back room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank 912sue22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Torquay
#12 of 85 in Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
Bay Torbay Hotel
#34 of 85 in Torquay

Been to The Regina Hotel? Share your experiences!