“Excellent !”

Number 7 Fish Bistro
Ranked #6 of 343 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent !”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We came across this fish restaurant quite by accident , took a chance and managed to get the last table...what a wonderful find ! Great menu and a terrific selection of daily specials depending on what was caught that day. I had mussels to start and then a plate of three small taster portions of the main dishes....(actually not so small ) fish and chips, salmon with moroccan spices,and a piece of turbot stuffed with prawns with a sauce...absolutely delicious. My partner had clams and then the fleshiest wing of skate he had ever had, I tried his too and they were equally good !
Very buzzy atmosphere with obviously a lot of locals who frequent this place regularly and so would I if I lived nearby. If I was to be picky I'd say the service was a little brusque but the food was more important. We had a fairly pricey bottle of Gavi and the bill ended up around £90 for the two of us..we were happy with that it was worth every penny.
I would not hesitate to recommend eating there and wished we lived nearer !

• Korean first
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic - As always!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Visiting Brixham, I had to go to No 7 again , and it was as fabulous as ever! Service excellent and the food simply cooked but with such fantastic ingredients we were blown away again... Ended up visiting twice in the week I was down there! Can't wait to eat there again!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Fiona M
Leicester
“Basil lives!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Fans of Faulty Towers will be pleased to know that Basil is still serving at this place.

They have a lot to live up to being next door to the best Restaurant in the English Rivierra and I didn't expect the food to be a good. However, they could have cleaned the place up a bit and dropped their charges to reflect the average fare and service.

We will not be returning here and hope this review puts anyone else off going - even if they are fish lovers. For a little extra, you can get 2 star Michellin food and service next door.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Meldrew69
Kent
“If you like fish you will love this place”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Torquay has some real jewels in the form of excellent eateries and Number 7 is no exception. We were very lucky to walk in off the street and secure a table as a number of would be diners were turned away soon after our arrival - clearly this is a popular venue and booking is recommended.

The restaurant is fairly small with a nice intimate atmosphere and although there is no view of the adjacent harbour, it does not detract in any way.
Now for the food, well If fish is what you are looking for then look no further, it delivers at every level! The waiting staff are very attendant and as an added nice touch they bring fresh fish to the table on a platter to both show what is currently available and explain how it is cooked and presented.

On our visit we had squid for starter which was quite exceptional...could it get any better?...well yes of course, mains dishes were delivered to the same high quality as did the rest of our dining experience. Notably all delivered with very good service times.

Price wise? It seems a bit harsh to mark Number 7 down a shade on this but at £80 for 2 and with only one glass of wine on the table it does rather come in towards the top, so if you are putting a bottle on the table budget for around the £100 mark - Having said that it was an enjoyable meal and paying a little extra for such a good overall experience is worthwhile - I would certainly go back again.

1 Thank Dave M
essex
“Would recommend”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed in Torquay for 3 nights and as sods law would have it found this restaurant on the last one. Food Wine Staff and Restaurant were all excellent. £70 for a 2 course meal for 2 with a bottle of Wine. What more can I say.

1 Thank sharon s