“glad to be home!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park
Ranked #12 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Torquay
London, United Kingdom
“glad to be home!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

we stayed for a half term break 28th oct - 1nov, we have been on many of this type of holiday before so have a realistic expectation. The caravan itself was in a good clean condition, however the curtains were so wet i actually rung them out, quite a common problem in caravans (we take a oil rad and fan heaters with us to sort out any damp and keeps van warm at night since having kids a must). We were also missing a frying pan.
We arrived early which was not a problem as the kids were allowed straight into club house to join in activities (the entertainers and the activities were good). However we noticed the bar was shut and no food or drink available as the shutters were down. When our friends arrived we asked if there was any where to get something to eat and were directed to the cafe 800 yards away down very steep slippery hill (all literatures does state that this site is hilly and I would suggest anyone with mobility problems avoid this particular park) - now the moaning begins!

Arrival day - The cafe had a very limited menu from 12:00 it was sandwich or jacket potato, we ordered to find out no potatoes available and two of sandwiches not available. The food was passable but not good value (never is on site).

Day Two - swimming pool was small for the size of site so was restricted to a 40min time limit. In the evening we left for the club house at 17:30 as I had promised the kids a go in the arcade before kids club started at 18:30. However the arcade was very limited and not a great deal for children aged 2-4 and many of the little games they played just didn't work or swallowed their money so at 18:00 we walked into the club room bar. The door was still shut and no one was inside, but decided to take a seat and wait. A security guard came in and asked us to leave as this room (just off the arcade area, just separated by two swinging doors) had not yet had a fire risk assessment done for the evening?! by 18:30 people queuing through arcade/reception out the door into rain, then they opened the doors to a full on search from the security team, i mean pockets/handbags/buggies it was unreal I've been to night clubs with fewer bouncers and searches , this was for a tots club very strange experience . i felt a little uneasy having my kids in a venue that feels it needs this level of security, but didn't witness any arguments or aggressive behaviour .

day three, was spent at paigngton zoo (good day out)

day four, all hallows eve oooh! made some spooky masks, tomb stones etc. at kids club, for lunch we attempted the on site cafe again, big mistake we got a cheese sandwich with half a tub of marge in it, a ham sandwich dry so made our own still had marge to spare, all served with chips, not crisps and coleslaw as advertised (i try to limit the amount of chips the kids get on these holidays which isn't easy as they tend to offer chips with everything), and best of all was a prawn sandwich with 4 yes FOUR small prawns in it (£4.95) we sent this back to the kitchen and was told this was how they were told to make it by the management so asked for refund. we went for dinner at a local pub we had to find ourselves, as reception staff could not recommend any local pubs in the area?(very helpful NOT!) there are a few pubs close by thank god for the internet, we went to the PEN INN on the A380 a true gem excellent food, friendly staff, real value for money would highly recommend even if only passing through. Back to the site for a halloween party what we have all been looking forward to all week, we arrived at 18:50 to a packed club house, people, buggies everywhere walkways blocked dance floor solid, a real fire risk! could not even get to the bar, no singing or dancing for kids they got so bored and asked to leave, it was a total disaster the club house is far to small for the size of site, on such a busy night, would have been nice to see the security team from earlier in the week, perhaps with a counter checking venue capacity!.
We also needed to use the laundrette as our youngest was sick in bed one night, there were signs on wall not to use liquid or tablets in the machines fair enough i thought, so i went to the on site shop next door to find it very limited and expensive, in fact all they had in the way of washing powder, was ariel liquid tablets bio (we like to use non-bio). but standing there with blankets and teddys covered in sick what choice did i have.
we have stayed on far cheaper sites with much better facilities DO NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TruckingBiker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Baldock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for the October half term week and have had a lovely time.
Our apartment was very clean and comfortable, with a well equipped kitchen . The only fault was the bathroom was a bit tatty but still clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The entertainment staff did a great job and the kids all really enjoyed the kids clubs and shows put on.
The swimming pool was very clean and nice and warm. The food in the restaurant was also very nice.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the October half term in the apartments overlooking the park. Apartment block was dirty and smelly, the apartment itself was horrible. Mouldy walls, filthy carpets and a grubby oven, wanted to spend as little time in it as possible. Entertainment was an experience, burly bouncer checking prams for people sneaking in alcohol I presume. Poor soft play area, cold swimming pool and the jacuzzi was not any warmer. I really can't give it any positive comments.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank MeMeBre
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We decided on Torquay, because we've never be before, we will never go to parmesan again.
The caravan was dirty damp and mouldy.
I am disabled, and I had to inn three flights of steps to get to the exit and all the facilities.
Curtains were wet and there we're no cleaning tools just a broom and dustpan and brush, I had to buy my own washing up items.
I would not recommend this caravan park to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank babdav
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked this at last minute, as we usually stay in a Haven caravan park during October half term (and what I book usually has double glazing and full central heating). This caravan had neither and not having read the reviews on here until I had booked, we set off with a certain degree of trepidation.

Firstly - do what they say and follow the instructions on the website - don't use Sat Nav as this will take you either around the back lanes / or to completely the wrong destination. There is a tool on the website which allows you to enter your home postcode and this give you exact directions to the park.

Secondly - take your walking boots. The park is exceptionally hilly and some of the caravans (including the one that we were in) are set at the bottom of a very steep hill. This is badly lit and exceptionally slippery when you are trying to guide two young children down it in the dark.

Our caravan was small for the four of us - but no different to what I was expecting. In contrast though to some reviews on here , it was exceptionally clean and had everything that we required. The beds were made up on arrival and closer inspection didn't unearth any nasty surprises.

There is though limited car parking next to some of the caravans - and it meant leaving the car in a communal car park with very few spaces as the car park was narrow and most people were unable to park properly hence using two spaces. The newer caravans/those closer to the entertainment seemed to have car parking spaces but i think these could be quite noisy- especially in high summer.

Facilities wise - we didn't eat on the park/use the shop/kids clubs so I couldn't comment on any of those. The pool was better then I was expecting and cleaner considering the amount of rain - again though I think in high summer this could be very crowded as they don't have an outside pool and it's not the biggest. Also - they didn't seem to have an extra water activities like the Haven parks.

There was a nice children's playground which would have been lovely had the weather been nicer.

The evening entertainment was no different to any other caravan park that we have been to - but I would agree with other reviewers that it is very loud - we could hear it from our caravan.

Overall - if you are expecting the savoy then don't go,I think I would be especially inclined to stay away from the apartments as they didn't look particularly pleasant. It's not haven - but they are not trying to be. It's a good base to see the area - as most of the major attractions are nearby.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Staff on arrival were very helpful, park was nice but quiet hilly, so I was glad we were near the top. Caravan was nice and roomy and clean. Boiler did fail one evening but staff came to sort it out very quickly so wasn't too much of a problem. Club was ok and entertainment was good. Breakfast was included in the cost of the holiday and was also good. Overall the holiday was great apart from the rain, we really enjoyed this park. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Thankyou again for an enjoyable holiday Parkdean :)

Stayed October 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Have just returned one day early from a one week stay at Parkdean Torquay.
My first impressions of the site were good, this was were and reinforced by the real friendly and efficient welcome.
We stayed in The Riviera Caravan which to be fair was very close to the excellent amenities, i.e. Club, Arcade, Pool ,shop and ample parking, generally the site was nicely kept and clean.
Then we entered the caravan, and noticed stains on all the carpets ,wall paper pulled off in the bedrooms and damaged towel heater in the tiny shower room/toilet,and general poorly maintained.
I put my hand on one of the shelves in the kitchen, and was horrified to find a layer of greasy dust, which we found on all the flat surfaces throughout the van .We decided that if this was the standard of the cleaners, then we would prefer to clean it to our own standard, rather than run the risk of being moved to a less convenient van.
Over the next six nights we tried each bed in the van, two doubles and two singles, as the week progressed we felt less likely to complain due to our holiday coming closer to an end .
Eventually we decided to leave early, due to my suffering severe back ache, and both my wife and I unable to sleep on the most uncomfortable beds. I realise and was informed on departure
that had we complained then we would possible been offered another van.
I feel that It these vans were inspected regularly, properly cleaned and maintained, and more attention paid to the bed situation, the holiday would have been much more enjoyable.
I can only reiterate that The staff in general were excellent, as was the service, but I would suggest that the cleaning and maintainence staff may, be either under staffed or under budgeted.
I would suggest that a good team are being let down by management. I would stay here again but would not settle for what we settle this time. Well done staff, Management wake up and support your staff before you lose them and many more customers.

Room Tip: Try beds before bedtime.