“lovely holiday”
Review of The Coppice

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
The Coppice
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed June 30, 2013

lovely small hotel with beautiful gardens. the room we had was big we requested a double but got a room with a single in it which did not bother us. the bathroom was small and a bit of a tight squeeze for larger people like myself, however both room and bathroom was cleaned daily and a big thank you to our cleaner who not only cleaned but tidied up our messy clothes. the food was served quickly and was most enjoyable. the only fault i could make is i did not like the container left for guests to leave tips in , it looked more of a begging bowl and was pointed out to us, if i wish to leave a tip for the waitress i personally like to tip the person myself, same in the rooms there is a card expressing tips will be appreciated, again if i tip it will be my choice to not because i am asked to, can i suggest the owners take a view on this matter. i have seen better entertainment but then again i have seen worse, there is no lounge area to sit quietly and read just seating in reception and the bar area, i did not use the pool or gym so i can not comment on those.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sharon f

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had a lovely three days at this hotel. The staff are wonderful it is like a home from home and the food was amazing. I would recommend this hotel and would visit again.

Thankyou for a lovely break nothing was too much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank rsmith656
Reviewed June 24, 2013

went with gb tours friday to monday.excellent hotel very clean and with good food.lovley indoor pool with separate jacuzi and the water was lovely and warm and towels supplied in the pool area.will certainly go back to this hotel taxi fare to the harbour was £3 40 bus fare was £3 60.weather was cold so didn,t use the outdoor pool but the gardens around it were excellent.big thank you to hotel staff.

Room Tip: we had room 35 on ground floor.no lift in hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keithfromneath
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My friend and I had a pleasant three night stay at the Coppice Hotel, it was AA 4 star rated, a little generous we felt. The lady owner was charming as were her staff.
The scrambled eggs at breakfast were truly awful, white and with so much whey, I sent mine back.
I know with a coach party they are working to a strict budget but the evening meals were not great, especially the fish cakes.
The room was clean and clean towels were provided every day. The owners have been there just over five years and have done a lot of refurbishing

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sally C
Reviewed June 13, 2013

coach tour to this hotel for weekend break, lovely location, fabulous hotel, owners and staff worked hard to ensure our stay was worth it. food was delicious in a lovely restaurant , spotlessly clean, as was our room immaculately cleaned daily,was on ground floor, road facing but traffic did not bother us. bar prices very reasonable with views of the gardens , and a covered outside seating area for smokers or anyone wanting a bit of fresh air . a holiday i wish to repeat again next year , a very big thank you to all staff .

Room Tip: ground floor room was large double and single facing main road, fresh towels and cleaned to high sta...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank bingowings d
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Cant fault this hotel as Its part of my twice yearly 'get away from it all breaks'. I have stayed at many hotels in the past and wouldnt want to go anywhere else now. I travel alone and always feel like part of the family when I arrive at the Coppice.. Syd and Jenny are lovely people who always go out of their way to make me feel at ease and not isolated. The food is always top notch and the rooms are spotless, comfortable and a good size.

I cant understand why people say the rooms need updating..This is a beautiful building and the rooms are decorated and furnished in keeping with the era of it. I would rather have Class over Ikea any day. No offence to Ikea lovers but thats ok for the modern home. This hotel has had new carpeting since my visit last year and is also in keeping with the ambience of this beautiful building..

What more can i say.. Love this place!! Go and see for yourself!!

Room Tip: I have stayed in many rooms at this hotel and the quality in each is excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank vivacious16
Reviewed May 27, 2013

on arriving at hotel we were allocated to our room which we found clean but not modern. clean bedding and toweels, for what we paid we had hoped for more of a modern room , old style cover and carpet, bathroom reasonable size but no toiletries were offered. restaurant was large and on first sight looked good but there was food crumbs on the floor and my chair was sticky when i pulled it out and a dirty fork ! lovely hotel and grounds are nice and the man who owns it very nice, however his wife i found to be jekyll and hyde very nice to some guests and miserable with us ! never smiled and although very busy at all times never wanted to communicate with us. i have read some reviews on this hotel and i think alot of reviews do not give the staff justice, for the staff we saw they were hardworking, polite and helpful, more helpful than the woman. food was lovely and the swimming pool was clean but a little too much chlorine that bleached my costume and gave me red eye for a few hours.

Room Tip: wasnt happy with our room for what we paid, needs updating !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple