“Excellent customer service and good value but a tired hotel”
Review of Bay Tor Park Hotel

Bay Tor Park Hotel
Ranked #24 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Shearings would do well to invest in a facelift for the bar and dining area as first impressions are not good with freezing cold, damp smelling communal areas. This was not particularly welcoming on arrival -the excuse being the hotel had not been open over the weekend! - Might I suggest for the future a timer switch to turn heating on in anticipation of guests arriving? It feels like a hotel run on a tight budget but the customer service is generally excellent. Sharon , especially was exceptional , friendly and efficient . Entertainment was pleasant and good fun and the barstaff managed the bar well. I was very pleased with the exceptional large room (52) , pristine bathroom with newly fitted bath and shower not the comfiest of mattresses it has to be said and temperatures in the room seem to plummet at night but it's an old building with very high ceilings so not the easiest to maintain I expect.
Food portions and quality was below what I had experienced in every other Shearings hotel but pleasant table service made up for this . Apart from one serving of glue-ey, lumpy tasteless reconstituted leek and potato soup , food in the main was fair enough and value for money.
The stars of this Shearings holiday for me were the staff . I cannot emphasise enough how they made the best of , I'm sorry to say this, but very average surroundings . If I was rating the hotel on customer service it would get a 5 excellent from me but readers should be aware of the condition of the hotel to make a balanced judgement. It is clean but well worn.
Torquay is a big town and has lots of shops and if you like to eat and drink one excellent bar/restaurant The Hole in the Wall, mid price but good quality lovely decor.

Room Tip: 52 large room window sash and closing not the best but otherwise good
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jackie W
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hi Jackie W, thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff it is always lovely to hear such nice things. I will be sure to tell Sharen about your comments and I am sure she will be very pleased to hear them. The hotel is always improvong in decor and many of our rooms have been refurbished to a high standard. I am very pleased you were happy with your room and we will certainly look into the maintenance isues you have mentioned. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your soup and I will mention this to our chefs, despite this I am pleased you enjoyed the majority of your meals here. Once again many thanks for your review, I hope you enjoyed the resort of Torquay too despite the cold February weather.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is ok! We had a brilliant time and the staff were amazing and as for our waitress Sharon, she was the best we have ever had, thank you Sharon! The hotel is a bit lack luster, could do with a face lift, the rooms are small but warm and comfortable. Our bed was ok but the the duvet felt like a dead dog on my legs! The entertainment was very good, with a great comedian, talented host and singers. The quizzes and bingo were good fun too. The food was a bit hit and miss, although for the price we paid we could not complain. There were drinks included in the cost too, this was great and made the whole break exceptional value. I would really recommend that you try this break, go and have some fun and say hi to Sharon from me.

5  Thank janjanevans

Thank you for your lovely comments. Sharen will be so pleased to hear that you have said such nice things about her. I will pass on your comments regarding the entertainment too and I am glad you enjoyed this. The housekeeping staff will be pleased to know you found your room clean and comfortable, our rooms vary in size and you are always more than welcome to contact us here at the hotel if you ever have any requests regarding the size of your room and we will always do our best to meet these requests. I am also pleased you enjoyed the drinks package we offer, the bay inclusive voucher system seems to be working well and I am glad that you found this such good value. Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The tor park hotel is part of the bay hotels group owned by shearings the coach company ,we stayed there on a shearings coach deal on the 25th February for four nights.
Its a two star hotel as is apparent when you enter reception ,we had a standard room which was small but clean and tidy ,the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and tidy with a full size bath, the room was nice and warm (it was february) the room was cleaned and bed made up daily, the lock on the door looked a bit flimsy and we would have liked a chain that we could use at night on the door also the walls were not soundproof as we could hear quite plainly the TV and the people talking in the room next door.
The food in the restaurant was good and our waiter was quick and efficient and helpful also the two ladies serving at the bar were brilliant, they went out of their way to help. the evening entertainment was bingo and a quiz (we are not into that) but when that finished there was a singer and comedian who were ok
The hotel was about a 20 minutes walk to the harbour (downhill) ,but the no 12 bus stops almost right outside the hotel so you could use that is you wanted .
all in all the hotel was good value and the staff were helpful and friendly .

3  Thank rcp117

Hi Roger P, thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. The housekeeping staff will be so pleased to hear that you found your room clean and comfortable. Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff, they will be very pleased to hear these. It is nice to hear you had the chance to explore the area on foot and by bus whilst you were here and I hope you enjoyed Torquay. Again thank you for your comments they are very important to myself and my staff.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

the hotel is a little bit on the tired side but ok.Room not bad .Food quite ok for type of holiday.The staff at this hotel ars absolutly brilliant nothing was any trouble and service was great.Our waiter Daemon was one of best we have ever had he was very very attentive,Also the two ladies in the bar did a brilliant job.Hotel in easy walk to bus stops.

3  Thank roger p

Hi Roger P, thank you very much for your review. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Daemon, Fran and Trina who I am sure will be very pleased to hear them. Our staff work very hard to ensure you enjoy your holiday and I am so glad you have such great things to say about them. I agree the hotel is in a great location with regard to the bus stop and it makes exploring Torbay very easy by bus. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Rooms ok.hotel very cold .food not very good.dining room very cold.coach driver Robert not very friendly.this was a coach trip the third one this year with shearings no were as good as the first two.we paid £16-00 for two.to dumped in a the centre of a small town. To spend 3 hours sitting around waiting to get back on a nice warm bus.with the cold hotel and this cold expensive trip. which I would not have gone on for free?

Room Tip: ground floor best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank John Y
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hi John Y. Thank you for your review. I am sorry to here that you were unhappy with your coach excursions and will ensure this is passed on to the relevant people. I also apologise that you were cold during your stay, we did have some issues with the boiler cutting out at some intervals during the week which may have caused this.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Was very disappointed with this hotel. Not up to Shearings standards. From our many Xmas trips Shearings this was the worse. The food was excellent and the service fairly good. Our main complaints are that on Xmas Eve the bar did not open until 5PM,should have opened at 11AM. On Christmas day in the afternoon there was no backgroiund music, the ballroom was in darkness and the bar closed until 5 PM this was the case on all four days of our visit. The decorations were very sparse and not up to Shearings usual standards. Wold not visit this hotel again and would not recommend it to any of our friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John O

Hi John O. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit to us. The bar was open between 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, however guests were able to get a drink at any time during the day from the Receptionist on duty. I am sorry if you were not aware of this and felt you were unable to get a drink during your stay. Thank you for your comments on the food and the service I will be sure to pass these on to my staff.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from a 5 day break at the Tor Park we arrived at about 5-15 and checked in we had room 49 to get to the room you walk along corridors and up and down 3 small flights of steps, the room was quite small and smelt a bit musty we later found a damp patch in the corner whitch could be the cause, we also found that clothes hung in the wardrobe also felt damp.
Food was ok plenty for us but probably not for anyone with a big appitite we found breakfast better than dinner but that is just personel preference .
Entertainment was good the comedian from Hartlepool was very funny, bar staff very good and the 4 drinks vouchers give great value .
For us the best part of the holiday were the journey down and the trips out with our driver David the guy lives in Toquay and it shows his knowledge of Devon is second to none whitch made the trips very interesting .
All in all very good value for money would we go again yes but not in room 49.

Room Tip: steer clear of room 49
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Richard P
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you Richard for your comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment and will pass on your comments to the entertainment team. David the driver is one of our regular drivers and I will also ensure that your comments reach him it is always nice to hear such lovely things and to hear that he made your holiday is wonderful. Please feel free to contact the hotel direct if you do decide to book again and we will do our very best to accommodate any requests or preferences you have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
#21 of 85 in Torquay
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#30 of 85 in Torquay

Been to Bay Tor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!