“Not the best hotel we have stayed in” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Tor Park Hotel

Bay Tor Park Hotel
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Preston, England
“Not the best hotel we have stayed in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from an 8 day stay at the Tor Park and I couldn't agree more with some of the comments by Gobbletto of Liverpool and Olive of Notingham.

To say the hotel was looking tired would be an understatement.

The reception area always looked cluttered and not very inviting.

In the gents toilets the air extractor was filthy and not working. ( Looking at it I don't think it has been working for sometime. )
On several occasions the floor felt sticky which could be a result of not being cleaned on a daily routine.

In the entertainment area there was litter behind the seats along the side wall, from our first day and still there the day we left.

Our room appeared to have new curtains and carpet but what a pity the windows had a gap between the wall and the frame. Also one of the opening lights was held in place by 2 plastic ties. The windows and frames were also filthy.

The food was barely satisfactory and to have frozen veg served most of the time for dinner is hardly acceptable in September. Why not fresh?

Breakfast was slightly better but one morning I was served a full English which included 8 baked beans. I don't think I had a full portion of beans added together during the week to count as 1 of my 5 a day!

The eggs.........................well I think enough has been said about them.

The menu lacked imagination and one evening we had pasta as a choice for starter and main course.

As previously mentioned by other guests the Manageress was unapproachable and I also didn't think it was worthwhile complaining.

I feel that the management of the hotel would benefit by doing a customer service course. That is my opinion.

I would like to mention that our waitress Jane carried out her duties in a very polite and professional manner. Thank you Jane.

Would I stay there gain? No

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Orlando1860
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I am sorry you felt it was not worthwhile to complaibn, I am sure some of your issues could have been resolved. Thank you for your kind comments on Jane I will make sure she recieves them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have just returned from Tor Park hotel having spent seven days there. The room was fine but being one floor down from street level there was a musty smell. One main complaint was the quality and quantity of the food on offer. Over the course of the seven days we found only two of the evening meals were satisfactory. My husband had the 'chef's special' one evening and the portion was so small it looked like a young child's meal. At breakfast the eggs were so small it was hard to believe they were really hens eggs! One morning the sausage were definitely past their sell by date and were inedible.

The manageress was rather short and 'unapproachable' so we did not think there was much point in complaining.

Obviously we will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: 66 looked lovely, but this was a family room with one double and two single beds
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gobbletto
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Tor Park. I apologise if you felt I was unapproachable I am here for all the guests and this is not the impression I want to relay. Your complaint on food portions could easily have been rectified.
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent last Monday to Friday at the hotel, having travelled from Sussex by train. Just a short walk from the station and with the no. 12 bus stop outside, on the Brixham to Newton Abbot route, it was excellent.

Our bedroom and bathroom were the largest and smartest we've ever stayed in at a Shearings Hotel though there were several little sets of stairs to negotiate with our cases.

The food was generally good, though not one evening out of the four were there any brown rolls left for us to have with our dinner. One evening there was just one white roll and no brown in the basket - our waiter said one person had eaten two and we were last in (well within stipulated time). He was very good though and went to have one cooked specially for me - and that way I did get a brown one!

Each evening we went out for a bus ride or stroll down into Torquay (went on their big wheel too - excellent value) and then came back and relaxed in the lounge with our free drinks as we were on all-inclusive. It was lovely having somewhere quiet to sit, away from the entertainment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SussexClover
Thank you for your kind comments so glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see more of Torquay.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from this hotel,the staff are out of this world,they have to work in disgraceful conditions the dining room floor where the staff served from,you would need a scraper to get dirt off carpet,the decor all needs painting,inside but guess what they are painting the outside,your customers want clean walls and carpets in bedrooms especially, internal decor should come first. The food ,well I think one potato was sliced so thin it fed 4 people on our table,you get a spoonful of beans with the smallest egg I have ever seen in my life if it wasn't for the staff you would have had a mass walkout ,we payed good money for our holiday but got a third or fourth class holiday,so shearings who hearded about from one bus to another we will never ever go with your company again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Olive W
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are currently in a refurbishment phase which will take time. I have noted your comments on the portions and thank you for your kind comments on the staff.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our room was large, clean and modern, which wasn't reflected in the rest of the hotel which is very dated (hopefully they are planning to refurb the rest of the hotel). It's situated at the top of a steep hill which is a bit of a track but do-able.
Biggest plus to this hotel is the staff, from the guys at reception, the bar and dining room they are all great. We were served every day in the dining room by Sharon, her customer service was excellent, she would remember the little details like if you had tea or coffee in the morning. Would check that everything was ok at each meal time, even when they were short staffed and had to cover extra tables, a real credit to this place and I hope these comments get fed back to her.
Would def come back again

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 870Oldducks
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
So pleased you enjoyed your holiday and thnk you so much for your kind comments regarding the staff. They will be so pleased that you have taken the time to mention them. Thank you
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We did an 8 day Shearings trip to Torquay last week(18/8/2012). Whilst we cannot complain about any other aspect of the holiday, the Hotel left a lot to be desired.
The staff were excellent, Sharon, our waitress was wonderful, albeit absolutly rushed off her feet due to being short staffed. The two barmaids, sisters, were very good, funny and always ready with a joke. However, there was an overwhelming atmosphere around the staff and I don't think they were very happy with their lot.
The food was ok, the breakfast quite good if you liked a cooked meal- however with the exception of cheap cereal, tinned grapefruit segments and prunes, there were no other 'healthy'options. Many of us on the coach were desperate for fresh fruit and could often be seen buying it whilst we were out. The evening meals were satisfactory, however nothing 'mind-blowing' I expect they did the best they could on a limited budget.
We were in room 4. This was reached by going downstairs into the depths of the hotel. The stairway and corridor continually smelt of damp, and this was very evident on the walls, woodwork and ceilings. The room itself appeared clean, however there was much evidence that there had been leaks from above as the dated polysyrene tiles were buckled and drooping. The bathroom was clean but next to the bath, there was a lot of damp and mould, the skirting board was rotten. Above the shower, the ceiling tile again bulged dangerously. The mattress was very lumpy and you rolled into the middle.Also the room was next to the fire escape which the staff used to go in and out, the door had to be banged to close it, therefore we were woken at all hours.
We booked late and paid just over 200 each, which included trips, 4 drinks vouchers each per night and a glass of wine with dinner. We therefore felt that we could not complain to the manageress, who seemed very unapproachable, totally preoccupied and not a 'happy bunny' at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank 1490westie
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the staff they will really appreciate them. I am so sorry you were unhappy with your room we did have three or four empty rooms which we could have offered you.
Woking. United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My daughter and I spent a week in the hotel in July this year. We had lost my husband only a few weeks before, so were hoping for a really relaxing time, and we weren't disappointed. The room was comfortable, and the food good with plenty of choice, and the staff, particularly the waiting staff, were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the evening entertainment - and the four inclusive drinks every evening were very welcome! We would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Marjorie M
Jackie-Parker1, General Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Which naturally I will be passing on to the staff. Yes, the bar vouchers are becoming more and more popular. So pleased you enjoyed it, thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#24 of 89 in Torquay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,512 reviews
Rainbow International Hotel

Been to Bay Tor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!