“Disasterous visit”

Chelston Manor Hotel
Chelston Manor Hotel
Ranked #64 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Some good friends of ours invited myself and my wife to go for a meal one lunch time to Chelston Manor, which they had used regularly in the past. The whole episode was so embarrassing for them that they couldn't apologise enough and will never go there again. After ordering our food, taken by a member of staff who didn't apparently need a pad as he had such a good memory, we waited 20 minutes for our starters. They all arrived at the same time but my wife's and mine were not what we had ordered. We didn't want to make a fuss to embarrass our friends so we ate them. When a different member of staff came to clear the table, she asked if everything was ok. I told her that apart from not getting what we ordered, it was. Her curt reply was, I'll tell the member of staff who took the order. She returned with our main courses, said nothing about the wrong order and left. I had ordered a steak and kidney suet pudding. It was virtually inedible as the casing was rock hard and I was scared to cut into it for fear of spreading it around the room. I struggled to eat the accompanying vegetables but they were disgusting and I left most of it. When the waitress came to clear the table she asked if everything was ok. I told her it was inedible. Again her curt reply was, I'll tell chef. I replied, "Tell him to eat it". When we went to the bar to pay, there was no apology, nothing. The guy just told us what it was. Had I been there with just my wife I would have walked out before attempting to eat the main course and I would have refused to pay. As we were there at the invitation of friends, I felt obligated to not cause a scene. What is the point of a waitress asking if everything is ok if she had no intention whatsoever of doing anything about it? I feel sick for handing over money for what can only be described as disgusting food. I understand they are relatively new owners but word will soon spread locally and the place will soon die.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeff M

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Chelston Manor is not a venue I would revisit. Travelled to Torbay to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the once affluent destination known to many as The English Riviera. Staff were surly, dismissive and clearly despised the employ. Not clean. Food was very poor (When it eventually arrived). Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Myself and my family often visit many pubs in the Devon area and one Sunday afternoon came across the Chelston manor.We were met by we understand the new owners who were very welcoming,We asked for a table for 5 the place was almost full but then the landlady asked could we wait 20 mins and they would fit us in. Nothing was too much trouble one of my children is a funny eater so they made a special kids meal for him wow this was with a full restaurant..We all ate and adults shared a bottle of wine all for under £50.I would have payed a lot more and have for a lot less I the Torquay area.I cannot believe the bad reviews this place has got in the passed,let me assure you this is something you need to try for yourself. I would say book a table if your going on Sunday's as they have live music on later in the day. Thanks for a great day..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

we were met by a man serving in the bar who cleraly was not expecting us as he said we were expceted later the evening at first we thought the hotel was quaint the bedrooms were all sloping at a 40 degree angle which left us with a bad back the food was adequate in the evening if a bit expensive the man who greeted us was apparently the owner was very short in his conversation in so matter of fact about everything a light was reported on the stair well on thursday on unday this had still not been looked at the tea and coffee in your bedroom was never replenished during our stay the owner was doing far too much on his own he nnede help the gardens were unkept and the babies eating room had ripped seats in it the breakfast area was never hoovered during out stay and their should have been more toast for breakfst you only got one slive per person with no marmalade need i go on sorry never again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Firstly, it came as a suprise and disapointment that this place is a pub. Not the end of the world but certainly not evident from the website we booked though.

The building is old (17th century apparently) which should be a good thing but the decor is very tired and old fashioned.

Our room was not as clean as we would have expected (needed a decent dusting) and had a couple of really odd problems. The bathroom had no net curtain so in order to use the toilet without being in full view of the neighbours we had to wind the blackout blind down (the blind didn't work properly). There was also nowhere to hang towells up to dry.

Breakfast was very poor - low quality deep fried sausages weren't appetising and my request for a poached rather than fried egg was not able to be met on the basis that no-one in the kitcen can cook them (really!!!)

The garden area has a beautufl aspect seeing all day sunshine but none of the flower beds or hanging basket have received any attention recently so the botanists amongst you will be disappointed.

I decided to stay at this place as the B&B we have stayed at previously was full and this place had good reviews. I can not reconcile the stay I have just had with any of the other reviews on this website. Beware!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I recently stayed at the Chelston Manor Hotel and was not expecting the stay that i had! Everyone was so friendly! Its a very old building (and you could tell by a little wear and tear) but that didnt put myself or my family off by any means! The staff are very friendly and seems they would go out of their way to help you in any way. It was very busy whilst we were there and the large sun trap garden was packed full of people every night (with friendly locals!) The food was very good indeed including our breakfasts every morning. We had the choice of tea or coffee, a selection of cereals and then a full english with toast, more than enough to set you up for the day! I would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Value for money by far! I'd like to thank Matt (the owner) and Becky (the chef) for a great stay for my family and i. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2009

2 nights here, not long enough!!! Great atmosphere, lovely room with a brill view. Treated like Royalty by all staff. Nothing is too much trouble. Considering the age of the17th Century building, condition was excellent. Great garden, all types catered for and a very good price. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple