“Worst hotel ever”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #55 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Our rooms were dirty smelly, bed linen not ironed, towels stained, mattresses had seen better days. In our friends room it was just the same and the curtains had been stapled. We asked to be moved the other rooms were just as bad, plumbing sounded like machine guns. I could go on.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank henry12Kent

Reviewed June 26, 2009

We found the hotel very clean and tidy; the bedrooms,bed linen and towels also very clean. The staff were very welcoming,pleasant and helpful. The food was excellent and we found the vegetarian option in the evening at the main meal was invariably very good. It would perhaps have been nice to have had vege sausages as an option at breakfast but there were plenty of other things to choose from.

• Stayed: June 2009
3  Thank Copperfield2
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The room hadn't hadn't received any TLC in the last 15 - 20 years, needed updating. Previous occupants pubic hair still in bathroom, mould around shower glass. White towels had a grey tinge and when they were replaced I still felt that if I used them, I would be dirtier than if I hadn't washed, so I had to go out and buy a towel to use in the shower.
Food, Soup OK, Pudding OK, Main course - terrible but vegetables on these coach trips are often sloppy and spongy. They tasted like they had been frozen and then cooked in luke warm water soaking up the liquid. Unbattered Fish - greasy, beef full of gristle and pipes, hard to chew.
Cabaret, Chris Caplin, Brilliant,
Steam room out of order. Gym didn't contain bike, treadmill or cross trainer only a gazelle style exerciser or weights.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fairplayCaerphilly
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Three friends and myself stayed at the Rainbow Hotel May bank holiday weekend. We travelled with Travelstyle Holidays. We were put in rooms 124 125 126 127 all single rooms in the basement of the Hotel. To say they need refurbishing is an understatement. They were musty smelling and not very clean. Unchanged linen on one bed and dirty towels had to be reported. There was no heating at all on the first night we complained at reception twice .On top of this, on the second night two of the rooms had water coming through the ceiling. We eventually persuaded a reluctant manager to move us all to different rooms even after we were told there only two rooms available.
In fairness the food was reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank beckyRome
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I have never wrote a bad review about a hotel, im of the opinion that people should make their own minds up but felt i had to on this occasion.
We arrived early and decided to see if we could leave our luggage in the hotel so we could go and enjoy the day. Well after waiting 10 minutes at reception someone eventually came out and said we couldn’t check in till 14.30 but she "guessed" it would be ok to leave our things.
We returned to the hotel shortly after 15.00 to have to wait another 5-10 minutes while the receptionist finished what sounded like a personal call. We were given our room key and we collected our things and made our way to the room up and down numerous stairs and doors with a semi constant wiff of damp. on finding the room the first impressions were ok, the room was hot, nice tv in the corner and a huge window so we thought we could forgive everything before.
On closer inspection (and you didn’t need to look hard) we sall the floor looked like it hadn’t been hovered in weeks, there was mould growing on the carpet by the window, the bed sheets were dirty and you couldn’t turn the heating off!
Come 18.30 we decided to go and see what time we could eat as we hadn’t been told but again, no receptionist so we made our way into the dining room and we were seated.
Food..... well it was a carvery quite like no other, infact i think i would have rather eaten a packet of crisps and gone hungry and breakfast wasn’t any better although you could just smother it tommy k.
Would I return to this hotel???? HAND ON HEART …… NOT A CHANCE……

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rifleman30039424
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I have recently returned from a holiday at the Rainbow Hotel, after reading the reviews on here I considered cancelling my holiday, but decded to give it a go as I had already booked it. I am glad I did not cancel my holiday as I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I am an elderly woman and have been on many coach tours, I requested a lift access room with a walk in shower as I cannot climb stairs and cannot get in a bath. Having been on many holidays through the coach company before, I know that you need to request anything you may need like lift access, walk in showers etc as how can the hotel know that's what you need unless you tell them!

On arrival at the hotel, we were all pleasantly greeted by reception, the luggage was brought to our room by the porter and I got everything I requested. Some people decided to take their own luggage, but that was their choice, the offer was there of help. The room was outdated, but clean and comfortable. The food was great, a variety of choices every night. The entertianment in the evening was ok, bingo, quizzes, a bit of dancing and then cabaret/disco. The indoor pool was lovely, nice and warm and the steam room was great.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definately return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank smithy202
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Stayed on a Weekend break with my wife, we found the hotel to be clean,with excellent service and great food in the Carvery style, room was warm & comfortable! Only complaint, the Bar closes too early!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple